on 28 July 2013
After reading the authors blog prior to a holiday to our beloved Greece. (A gap of 6 years had passed for one reason or another since our last trip to Greece) - I decided to buy three of the books in his series of stories based on the authors many visits to the Greek islands and lovely stories of getting acquainted with his extended family via marriage to his Greek wife .
The books seemed ideal reading matter during our holiday on Rhodes as I purposely wanted to read them in the right environment ! (Author now lives on Rhodes) .
I recommend them to every one who is off to Greece , and Rhodes in particular. Very funny , laugh out loud , and I am actually wanting to read them again on this years holiday. Have also purchased the authors new book "view from Kleobolos"
on 28 April 2012
Pretty average account of anybodys trips abroad in the last 30 years.
Very infuriating the number of brackets throughout the book.(why!)
Not really on par with other similar offerings.
The odd giggle kept this book from being boring.
Prohibitive selling price will mean no further ramblings will be read.
on 20 October 2015
I loved this book, for me it was like walking down memory lane, I am married to a Greek and we both grew up in London. Many of the things John speaks of remind me in some way if not all things that we encountered either as a couple or separately.
I would recommend this book to anyone, who either are involved in Greek life, in love with Greece and all things Greek or those just wanting a little insight into the way life as a Greek is.

Well done John on this book
on 5 April 2016
I always like the easy and honest style of John's accounts of he and his wife's experiences of Greece. After devouring each one I admit to having read them in the wrong chronological order and get a bit mixed up on what content is in which book. This in no way adversely affects your reading pleasure though as you can dip in and out of each book and laugh aloud in parts and have your preset opinions completely overturned in others. I recommend this to anyone who contemplates living on a Greek island or anyone who wishes to visit and appreciate life beyond the tourist trail. As always, my genuine thanks to John and Yvonne for going first and so expertly and movingly putting forth such personal and enlightening accounts of Greek life.
on 20 April 2015
Enjoyed the book immensely, already purchased the next 2 as can't wait to read what happens next! Fabulous and wish I could have been there!
on 11 October 2012
I bought this for a read during a week's holiday in Crete - it started off well but quickly descended into the mundane as the writer indulged in a tiresome habit of unloading his prejudices, a habit which he recognised but seemed unable to control. Suspicions developed that he was short of material. The story frequently and confusingly switched times and places in an effort to inject some interest but did not convince. Maybe it picked up later but I'll never know, I didn't want to find out any more about about the writer's wife's funny greek family and friends. Any hope of a plot emerging had disappeared and I bought the Michael Frayne novel Skios which was much more the ticket.
on 7 August 2015
Chose this book because my daughter and granddaughter lived in Greece. Every word of this book brings back the trials and the. experiencses that my daughter Went through after her decision to live there. She still spends a lot of holidays in the same house which she eventually bought . My granddaughter still lives in the house as though England born she is totally Greek in her ways this to include attitude also .
on 19 July 2013
Being a little like Yvonne myself, a greek born in Wales and married to a welshman, we did the same and uped sticks and moved to Corfu in the late nineties with our baby daughter. The whole book made me laugh out loud and made my journeys into work on the train thoroughly enjoyable - even though many a funny look turned my way to the giggling female in the corner....... looking forward to the next instalement
on 5 December 2014
As this is the first of four books I bought by this author I hope things do get better...The first one was ok... ish ...The title says it all... Ramblings .. oh boy Ramblings... The book jumps or rather wanders along... some of it is mildly amusing but not laugh out loud... not even a snigger... I will give the others a try, but wish Id read the first one before diving in and buying the series.
on 13 July 2013
This book is laugh-out-loud funny and a great holiday read. Who amongst us hasn't yearned to up-sticks and move to an island in the sun without thinking of all the problems involved, language and the "manyana syndrome" included. Family in the area obviously helps, but all credit to anyone who has the courage to live their dream. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.