Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.18

For all intents and purposes, Claire and Xavier appear to be your typical married couple. They bicker, they get on each other's nerves, and they love having company around for dinner. Their pallets are very specific; they like their meat bloody. They have been married for so long that they know each other fully and completely. How long have they been married you may ask? Oh, about a century, give or take a decade or two. Did I mention that they were vampires...?

Vampire Dawn is a treat for all fans of this vamp genre. Philip Henry's book is a vampire tale much in the tradition of Buffy, only with more swearing. Like Joss Whedon, Philip Henry employs a flippant style, which is full-to-the-brim with gothic kitsch. Philip Henry's style of storytelling alone would make this book a must-read. But, this novel has other dimensions that make Vampire Dawn stand apart from the myriad of generic vampire stories invading this genre on a weekly basis. Vampire Dawn turns the traditional role of vampire/vampire-slayer on its head. Customarily, the heroes in vampire novels are the slayers. In Vampire Dawn, these vampire slayers are a bit more mean and, at times, completely callous, whereas the vampires are just trying to survive in a world prejudiced against them. According to Vampire Dawn, vampires are not soulless killers, and they seem quite civilized. They do have to kill someone every now and again (every night!), but these acts are never malicious. However, you do come across the odd, homicidal maniac among the vamps. So, in Vampire Dawn, more often than not, you find yourself rooting for the vampires, and you certainly forgive them the odd murder, here and there.

Vampire Dawn is a thrilling read that superbly marries some elements of Buffy, Near Dark, and Lost Boys - all the kitschy classics. However, having said this, fans of gothic lore will not be disappointed by Vampire Dawn, as it also pays homage to classic vampire tales of old. In short, Vampire Dawn is a gothic vampire story with a distinctly modern twist. And, if it has a lesson to teach us, perhaps it is to remind us all that vampires were humans once, too - well maybe not, but you get the idea!

Vampire Dawn is a tantalizing first-taste into Philip Henry's dark and witty world. And, after you read it, I guarantee that you will be thirsty for more..!
With one notable exception, all these reviews are written by people who have never written another review either before or since.
The one exception is friends with the author on Facebook.

Based on these reviews I bought this book, but it wasn't as good as I'd been led to expect.

This book is in the style of a young adults story - it is linear and unsophisticated in its literary technique and reads almost like a screenplay, except that not enough happens to make a film out of it.

I certainly won't bother to read the sequels
on 11 October 2005
The book is set where I grew up in Northern Ireland which I suppose made the read that much more special. Being able to picture all the land marks and locations accurately added a new dimension to the read. That's not saying I wouldn't have enjoyed it otherwise -- I thoroughly did!
Right from the start the scene is set and the action starts. You begin to start a relationship with the characters and it wasn't long before I was rooting for the vampire's and grew a strong hatred for the prominent slayer. The story definitely shed a new light on vampires and I don't mean the fatal kind. With a few laughs thrown in for good measure, this book will keep you reading right up to the final word. The sequel is due out next year and I'm left wondering and intrigued about where the story goes from here.
Buy it! Enjoy it! Wait for the sequel!
on 20 June 2015
This is a different twist on the vampires usual tale. I loved the main characters and the journey they take. This is the 2nd time I've read this and the fact that the locations are all known to me .... even the funeral parlour, make it special. Well worth a read. I now have all of Philip Henry's books.
on 17 March 2006
Excellent!

I'm not usually into horror or vampires - or should I say, I wasn't! I read this book on the recommendation of a friend and loved it!

At the end of the day, this is a REALLY great story, with engaging, complex characters and some VERY comic moments. I couldn't put it down!

It's one of those books I felt I had to rave about, and everyone I lent it to felt the same. They've all bought their own and now we're all eagerly awaiting the follow- up!

I would highly recommend this debut novel!
on 14 October 2009
Fabulous read-don't start reading until u have some time on your hands because once you pick this book up you definately won't be able to set it down. Don't let the vampires put you off because I wouldn't usually read this kind of book but I must say it is one of the best books I've ever read! Enjoy!!!
on 21 January 2015