5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, annoying reviews.
Published on 6 July 2012 by Jonathan H. Reynolds

1.0 out of 5 stars Brand new phone, supplied with faulty charger - I get to lose everything.
No point Samsung developing these smartphones if they supply them with a charger that does not work from the off.

Instead of being sent a replacement charger (makes sense for me and for the environment) I now have to spend my whole evening taking all my data off the brand new 4 day old phone, wiping it clean of anything and everything personal to me, and...
Published 2 months ago by Rosalyn Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, annoying reviews., 6 July 2012
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I recently purchased one of these phones after owning a htc wildfire. This is an 'entry level' smart phone which seems to hold a bit of a stigma with smart phone users as being inadequate and insubstantial. This phone performs all its duties to an excellent standard for the price. I am in almost constant need of a GPS due to regularly gigging with bands and as a result I've used this multiple times and its been excellent for this. The internet browser is more than capable for casual browsing, youtube videos and contrary to a lot of reviews I'm seeing, the battery life is quite normal if not good for a smart phone. I would advise turning the brightness of the screen down when it is not necessary and monitoring your live tasks regularly as this will help improve the battery life even further. On a heavy usage day the battery will need charging again about half way through the next day but if used relatively normally it will last for at least 2 days if not more.

If you want a smart phone for doing everything a smart phone is required for such as checking e-mails, browsing the web, Sat nav, and some gaming then this thing is ideal! It may be smaller than some other phones out there at present but upon testing I found that I made just as many mistakes when typing a txt on bigger screens so I don't really think this holds much water. Besides, phones used to be way smaller and now they're reaching brick proportions again. How on earth are you supposed to store a Galaxy SIII in your pocket!? I'd rather not carry a bag everywhere I go.

Also, ignore the comments about this being a phone for 'teenagers' or 'young' people. Just because its got the letter Y standing for 'young' at the end the techno snobs deem it unsuitable for their lofty expectations. Its a PHONE, its inanimate it holds no social standing whatsoever. Anyway, since when did GPS communication devices become the play things of kids? Society eh?

Anywho, this is a good phone and great value for money considering the higher end alternatives starting at around £275 to £499 for something that will be obsolete in a year or two. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A few tips, 7 April 2012
Haystack "Andy" (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
Really pleased with this phone, excellent piece of kit. A few tips for getting round limitations.

1. Small screen for bigger fingers, use speech to input text for search or email (mic. button on keyboard). I downloaded Ivona text to speech, can't remember if the mic. option came up before this but it works really well.

2. Transferred my contacts data from outlook to Gmail and then to the Galaxy. It's all there and editable.

3. I generally use the wifi for data so turn off the packet data/roaming in the mobile settings if you don't have a data contract. And turn off the wifi if you're not using it, it reconnects very quickly at home.

4. Battery life is an issue with such a small phone so turn stuff off if you're not using it, leave it on 2G when just using it for phone/text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy Y - excellent features for the price!, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
This is the first smartphone I've ever owned so I've no previous experience to compare this phone. With that in mind, here goes: This mobile is light, feels comfortable to hold and has so far been a delight to use. When looking for a smartphone I'd looked at and read many reviews which were critical of the screen resolution and the camera on the Galaxy Y. However I have no complaints. The brightness can be adjusted to suit and I have no issues with 'pixellation' - as far as I am concerned images are clean and clear, if not HD crisp.

The camera is good for basic picture-taking but I will walk with my dedicated camera if I want high resolution/high quality pics. The video camera is also pretty decent, image and sound quality good. Again, if you want superior video I'd recommend using a device made specially for that purpose. The video quality is good enough to upload to YouTube, if that's your thing. It's simple, easy and quite convenient to use. (You do get a 'Quick start guide' with the phone but if you want a more detailed set of instructions you can check the Samsung site: h[...]f It has helped me to get a better understanding of how to use some of the features of this phone).

The touch screen is also quite responsive. Texting has been a bit tricky but that may just be because I am not used to typing on a virtual keyboard.

I chose the Galaxy Y, not just because it was so affordable (as opposed to the really expensive mobiles like the iphone, nexus, lumia etc.) but also because it has the latest version of Android, is sleek and attractive. The Galaxy Y also comes with maps, satnav and other really useful apps. Quite a lot for what the device costs!

If you are also new to smartphones and are worried about security, you can check out the android store which has both free and 'to pay for' security mobile applications from well known companies like Webroot and McAfee. This phone comes with a 2GB memory card and can take cards up to 32GB for lots of storage.

If you want a simple phone that is easy to use and customise then this may be the one for you. I can't comment on battery life as I haven't had the phone long enough but again, I have seen that there are apps to help with this (JuiceDefender seems to be a particularly popular one). I suspect that battery life will be good if you are not a heavy web browser and if you switch off Wi-Fi and bluetooth when you aren't using them. (There is a setting on the phone 'Task Manager' that helps to see what, if any, apps are running (using up 'juice') and in the settings there is an 'About Phone' menu that shows what's been using/draining your battery.)

All in all, I think this is a great mobile as an introduction to smartphones. It doesn't look or feel like a budget phone - just the opposite! Plus you get great software already installed to the phone. It is fantastic how much you get for what this phone costs! (In the box: 2GB microSD card, microSD card adapter, usb cable and charger plus the quick start guide and of course, the Galaxy Y phone itself.)

While the phone feels sturdy enough, I'd recommend getting a cover for it and for the screen. (Still awaiting delivery of those items from a different supplier.) Unlike the high-end phones the Galaxy Y doesn't have 'gorilla glass' so it may well be worth your while to protect it. (I had thought of getting a case with a magnetic clip but am glad I didn't as magnets are a definite no-no around mobiles.)

Still not sure about this phone? I'd recommend looking at the detailed guide (link above) for an idea of exactly what the Y has to offer.

In summary: Great phone at a fantastic price!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Android Phone, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
Just bought this Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 as a backup phone and for the price I paid, it is excellent value for money. In my opinion there seems to be just one minor negative point about this phone, and that is the screen resolution is not as good as some of the top end phones. But then again, top end phones do cost a lot more don't they?

The main reasons for buying this phone was that I wanted to use Viber for VOIP international calling and although the Samsung Galaxy Y is not on Viber's compatibility list, it installed first time without a glitch. The call quality is just amazing on 3G (alone).

Another reason was that Samsung phones network reception (on 3G) is renowned to be stable (just like my BB Bold 9700) Before purchasing this phone, I had ordered a HTC Desire S from Amazon, and there was a serious issue with 3G network connectivity, which rendered it useless unless you used wireless. Now this to me defeats the purpose of owning a 3G phone, however with Amazon's amazing customer service and returns policy I was able to get a full refund.

So if you are after a great phone at a great price, look no further and by the way the Samsung Galaxy Y comes installed with Gingerbread 2.3.5 as the OS (what a bonus). On a final note I have installed the following apps without any issues; facebook, rebtel, twitter, skype, viber and whatsapp.

Well done Samsung on producing such an excellent phone.....

5.0 out of 5 stars My son has had his for over 12 months now. . . ., 24 Jun 2013
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
So has the daughter and the girlfriend has one too (are you too old to have a girlfriend at 44?)

This phone is aimed at the 'youth' market, hence the 'Y'. I never bought mine from this seller but from another offering £10 O2 airtime on Amazon. . . this is part of my review for the one I bought a good few months ago now. . . hopefully you will find it helpful.

I bought this phone for my son for his 14th birthday. I'm not buying him a BlackBerry/HTC or higher spec phone than this as I feel his lifestyle of a lazy swine who doesn't look after his stuff doesn't warrant it plus this is an Android phone and so he still has access to the app market and can tweet, fakebook and whatever other social websites are out there! Can you tell I hate them! :) Please note there is no secondary or front facing camera on this phone.

The Galaxy Y is a great little device measuring 104 x 58 x 11.5mm and housing a 3-inch QVGA (240x320) TFT touchscreen.

The screen is certainly small compared to my HTC desire HD, but Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) still works well -albeit looking rather grainy due to the low-res TFT display but that won't bother him. Pics taken with the onboard camera look okay.

It fits nicely in the hand, the rounded textured back provides a comfortable and firm grip while weighing in at 98g so having a bit of weight to it.

The build quality of the Galaxy Y is sturdy with a solid feel to the handset when pressure is applied. The back cover is plastic but it fits snugly on the phone and when removed feels thick enough to be protective.

There is just one button on the right hand side which is the power/lock key, it is easy to reach when using one handed.

At the the top there is a 3.5mm headphone jack and a covered microUSB port. the cover is easy enough to remove.

On the left of the handset there is a volume rocker switch and a lanyard hole. Inside there is an 830MHz processor powered by a 1200mAh battery. Not the fastest but adequate enough in my opinion.

Samsung have stuck a tight fisted 160MB of internal memory inside which can be upgraded to 32GB with a microSD card.

Here's a quick rundown of the specs. . . .3G enabled, WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth, USB connectivity. Android OS version 2.3, 2mp Camera, no auto focus or flash though. You can record video, play music, there is a FM radio too! Running YouTube, social networking sites and playing games such as Angry Birds is all good! Of course you get a charger and the USB cable.

If he drops it or loses it or explodes it somehow. . .it won't be the end of the world, for me. For him it will be! :) I love him really! :S

5.0 out of 5 stars Good entry level Android smartphone, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
I got this product at a very reasonable £87 on Amazon.

There are several very good reviews so I'll just add a few observations and suggestions
Good

1 - Excellent wi-fi and data performance. If you have wi-fi, switch off data services and save a small fortune.
2 - Easy to use - I wouldn't expect anything else from Samsung.
3 - Get a good pair of headphones plus a good micro SDHC card (upto 32GB) and you have an excellent MP3 player.
4 - When using the keyboard, rotate the phone 90 degrees to get larger keys - if necessary get a stylus for fat fingers.

This is a good entry-level job.

The display quality reflects the entry-level price, but on the other hand, the audio quality is clear and noise free.

The apps I've found I use the most are Avast mobile security which lets me know what my other apps are up to - and Audible which has is easier to use on the smartphone than even on a PC.

If I find I am surfing or watching video more than I thought I would be then it will be time to upgrade to a phone with a better quality display.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for its price, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
Being one of the cheapest Android/Samsung handsets which offer the same smartphone capabilities as some of the leading super-handsets today, I think this phone is perfect in almost every aspect.

1 - Being a Samsung handset, you can expect great build quality and polished design, the Galaxy Y is not an acception. Its build quality and design, plus its stylish and comfortable size make this phone a joy to have around, you just never get bored of how powerful such a small little thing could be.

2 - Running on Gingerbread, the OS is more stable than most other mobiles, it handles like a mini super-handset!

3 - Because the processor is lightweight and the RAM has only 300MB, the Galaxy Y sacrifices some peformance features over battery life, and battery life it has. I've used this phone for just over 3-4 days and I've only charged it 2 times to its full 100%. Right now it's at 34% which was run from 100% over 15 hours ago (bare in mind I used quite a few apps). So battery life is good.

4 - Most popular apps found on Google Play today are compatible with this phone (unless the app has the words 'HD' in it). Most apps I was able to run, however - some apps like Temple Run is not compatible with this phone due to its processing speed/ram/screen resolution, and that can be quite disappointing at times.

All in all, this phone is cheap, reliable and powerful. Buying this handset would be a safe bet for those who don't mind a handset that isn't on the top end of the spectrum, but are looking for a flexible, smartphone which can still operate like the big boys. I sometimes find this phone to be more 'nice' to carry around than my Samsung Galaxy S2.

4/5 for the fact that this phone did not come with headphones or a dedicated SD card, although they are cheap to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great smartphone, the screen disappoints, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
Samsung Galaxy Y is my first smartphone. I have been using it for a month and I really like it. It is not a fully featured phone: it doesn't support flash (so you can't watch BBC iPlayer) and the screen is fuzzy (resolution 240x320) compared to top of the range, or even similarly priced phones like Orange San Francisco (480x800). The screen is not pixelized, but it's not as good quality as a standard computer monitor, which makes a difference for gaming. Having said that, the phone has many features that make-up for its flaws: the touch screen is very responsive, and the processor is fast (832 MHz, compared with San Francisco's 600 MHz).
The phone comes ready to use with pre-loaded apps but if it's your thing, you can customize almost everything. If you're used to a standard Android system, probably you will want to customize it as Samsung added their own 'improvements' (some of them better than others), such as a horizontal scrolling app drawer. One of my favourite things about the software is that it has a Swype keyboard, which lets you type by swiping your finger from letter to letter instead of tapping. It makes typing very easy, and you can't buy it on the Market.
The rest of the phone's features are pretty standard. The camera is adequate for using from time to time, and the battery lasts a few days of light use. The phone is very slim, light and easy to hold.
Overall, this is a pretty good entry-level phone available at a great price (£89.99 from O2). It does almost everything that the fully-featured phones do, and is totally adequate for making phonecalls, browsing web, reading (short) ebooks, viewing Powerpoint presentations and staying entertained during commuting. I regret that the screen is not as good as it could be, but I can always turn on my PC for good quality graphics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy Y, 24 May 2012
James "James" (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
This is proving to be an astute purchase. This is my first touchscreen/Android phone but I didn't want to spend the earth on it. The Samsung Galaxy Y is a small, compact, easy to hold mobile phone. It's lack of bulk makes it easy to carry in pockets too.

I've found the texting easy. I have chunky fingers but have found the positioning now and don't often hit the wrong key. Call quality is very good even in a noisy environment I've had no problem hearing .

Battery life could be better, however I've found clicking on Task Manager and closing unnecessary tasks has greatly improved the battery life so that's good.

Camera - it does the job - not flashy but if you want to load images to facebook then it's more than up to the job.

Don't be under any illusions - this is not a high end phone so it doesn't have a HD/3D screen. I have read reviews panning the screen however I haven't experienced this at all. It's a clear colour screen that's easy to read, shortcuts and apps clear. Text messages are easy to read too.

Finally the software is the same on the far more Galaxy S2....android 2.3.6 - this has to be the biggest compliment Samsung can pay to what some regard as a "budget phone"

All in all, I really like the mobile. Go to the O2 shop, have a play around with it. Don't be put off by the "Young" tag, it's got way more appeal than just for youngsters. Give it a shot, you may find, like I did, it more than meets your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent budget smartphone, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone (Electronics)
consider this cheap android phone that punches well above its weight for the price, it does everything i need well, i am an android fan but when you consider the price and perfomance as opposed to an overpriced iphone i'd choose the cheaper option every time...

Samsung S5360 Android SIM Free Smartphone