5.0 out of 5 stars Three Graces by Victoria Connelly
I started reading Three Graces on the way to work yesterday and by the time I came home from work today I had finished it. I could not put it down. The characters make you laugh and cry. I did not want the book to end and when it did, I realised that there had to be a sequel. I need to know what happens with Carys and Amberley Hall. A must read thoroughly enjoyable.
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by toni

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped halfway though
I tried really hard with this book, but I haven't been able to finish it.
Published 3 months ago by Danielle Bouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Graces by Victoria Connelly, 30 Sep 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars A guilty pleasure!, 28 Dec 2011
Mrs. K. A. P. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
This is exactly what it says on the packet - a magical romantic comedy. Carys marries Richard after a whirlwind courtship, and suddenly finds herself a duchess in charge of a magnificent but crumbling stately home. Life as a duchess is not as easy as one might imagine and not everyone is friendly, but Carys finds help in strange places.

This is a lovely book for a cold winter's afternoon. It has slightly more substance than a quick retelling of the plot would suggest. I enjoyed it immensely and didn't feel too guilty when I'd finished reading it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped halfway though, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
I tried really hard with this book, but I haven't been able to finish it.
The plot is a little unbelievable. By saying this I'm referring not to the fact there are ghosts, but that Carys would marry someone she barely knows. Events such as these seem to occur in an obvious fashion- to enable to story to occur. Whereas in a good book events feel natural, and you live them with the characters. This is much more stilted.
I can tell the author is trying to create a magical romance, full of laughter and emotion, but she fails.
There are a couple of grammatical errors which jumped out at me, and even though the story is pleasant enough, the writing is not strong enough to keep me interested. Sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, easy reading, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
This is a lovely, gentle, easy read which is, as one other reviewer has written, exactly what it says on the front "A Magical Romantic Comedy". There's nothing taxing in here, but it is very well-written, has strong likeable characters who were easy to get absorbed in, and a good setting. I loved Carys - she was so normal and approachable as a character. I similarly liked Richard even though he doesn't really get much of an outing (he's always too busy working). However, when he does come out, and when he's not in a terrible mood due to the fatigue of overwork, it is quite easy to see why Carys might have been tempted to agree to marry him after just a couple of meetings.

The addition of the ghost, "Georgiana" is a lovely, magical touch to the story. The house itself, Amberley, is a fantastic setting and has clearly been created by an historical house enthusiast (being one myself, I really enjoyed the descriptions of the house).

There's a couple of things wrong with the book - the biggest one being that Carys has a somewhat elderly viewpoint - she almost seems mature beyond her years in places (anyone who favours Last of the Summer Wine over any programme is going to be slightly suspect in my opinion.) The second is that there are some typos in the book which shouldn't be there, including a misspelling of the "beech" (as in tree) as "beach". By this stage, the book should be as polished as it is possible to be and there's really no excuse for those typos.

However, these are minor points. This is an easy read - read during a night shift when I didn't have the energy to concentrate on anything too arduous. At £1.49 on Kindle it's an absolute bargain and will pass a few hours very pleasantly indeed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
This had a promising start, but apart from Carys, who tells the story, none of the characters are developed, and there is nothing in the story that really explains why she falls in love with-or wants to stay with-Richard. His characterisation is non-existent. It was a bit of fun, and I did read right to the end, but I was disappointed there was not more to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounds better than it actually is.., 19 July 2013
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
The title and the summary of the book have captured my interest but I'm afraid I was expecting something completely different. It's not something I would recommend and I found it quite bland and the pace was slow without a particular climax to the story or moral or interesting characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Insubstantial, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
Characters not well defined and very little going on. I finished it, but wondered why I bothered! Silly story really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Graces, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
It was a lovely easy read, but at the same time kept me engrossed right until the end. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday book, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
A really quick book to read with a great description of the house and characters. Would recommend to take on holiday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Three Graces, 18 April 2014
jofromoz (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Graces (Kindle Edition)
I wish I had a friend even though a ghost, like Georgiana....such a delight to have around especially in the huge and sometimes dull rooms of the big historical home. Loved the story and could imagine myself walking the dogs through the miles and miles of the gardens. The main character Carys had more patience than I would have had with the new husband though...his head would have been reeling had I been his bride! Old Aunt Violet was a pleasant surprise in the story....all in all a thoroughly enjoyable light story to read.

Three Graces