on 5 January 2012
I am a Doctor & The Medics fan, I was since day one & saw this cd & immediateley thought: "Wow, now I can get all those lost 12" & 7" back....BUT: This cd is ok, but it's somewhat lacking LOADS of essential songs.

The singles cd tracklisting for this release is as follows:

The Druids Are Here
Hi Ho Silver Lining
Black and Blue
The Angel Play Their Harps For Me
Two Tribes

...A good attempt to collect all the singles BUT it misses off for fans since day 1 of their career like me several (LOADS in fact) of classic Doctor & The Medics songs, these songs are ALL NOT ON THE CD:

The Goats Are Trying To Kill Me (B-side of: "The Druids Are Here" single)
Live At Alice In Wonderland e.p (with the amazing: "Ride The Beetle")
Two Pieces Of Cloth Carefully Stitched together e.p (Tracks: Sound Of Chains, Perfect World, Silver King & Age Of Gold)
Secrets Of A Babys Mind (from: Miracle Of The Age e.p)
Silver Machine (from: Happy But Twisted e.p)
Burn e.p (Captain Frazier, Love Peace & Bananas, Paranoid live)

....I could go on, yes ok - some cover versions I can see why they were'nt included. But to miss off the b-side of the first single, Ride The Beetle (a live classic), AND Love Peace & Bananas (an absolutely essential track by the band)

Oh well, a missed opportunity. Should have been a double cd maybe?
Even so I am still giving it 4 stars out of 5, because it's still amazing.
Buy it, but be aware it's NOT a COMPLETE singles album.
on 18 October 2012
I can't explain how much I used to love this band. I don't know how many times I saw them at the Riverside in Newcastle (it was quite a few though) and they were just the dogs knackers live.
I already had "Laughing At The Pieces" and "I Keep Thinking Its Tuesday" which are excellent but to be able to get some of my favourite tracks in particular from "Happy But Twisted" and "Miracle Of The Age" (which I still have on vinyl) is almost a dream come true.
I can't add much to the reviews of others here but suffice to say if you want a great collection of some hugely enjoyable tunes, this is the album for you. Whatever you do, don't confuse the Medics of "Spirit In The Sky" and "Waterloo" with the Medics that bought you "Mole Catcher", "Ride The Beetle" and "I Don't Want To Be Alone With You Tonight" - it's almost two different worlds, all enjoyable but so very different.If in doubt check out the footage on You Tube to see what they were like back in the 80s before they made it "big" - what a band, what a night out !!
on 4 July 2012
The month that Clive Jackson alias the Doctor was born the Beatles had just cut their first single in Hamburg and he was 8 years old when Norman Greenbaum had a No 1 with Spirit In The Sky.
The band repeated that success in the 80s and changed lineups more times than David Cameron changes his mind.
In spite of being included in a book called One Hit Wonders the Guiness Book lists the follow up Burn as making the top 30 and the next single-a cover of Abba's Waterloo-just inside the top 50.
However Greenbaum was a genuine One Hit Wonder.
But in between him and Doctor & the Medics came Alvin Stardust who had a No 1 single called My Coo Ca Choo with the exact same melody! If he'd repeated the hit in the States he would no doubt have been sued
The Doctor founded his own label called MAD which issued the tape Live At The Alice In Wonderland-now on CD-of tracks by Voodoo Child,Underground Zero,Gwillym & the Raspberry Flavoured Cat,Webcore and the Spooks with DJ links
on 7 March 2012
The good people at 4Worlds have released a collection of the band's singles and many of their B-sides (they also have all studio albums - including the very much under-rated third album - Instant Heaven available). And what a collection it is!

The opening two tracks remind you what an awesome band Dr & The Medics actually were/are. The catchy pop of The Druids Are Here and the exhilarating fast punk of Happy but Twisted are as good as anything else around - even now.

The album is relentless in its eclectic quality. There was so much more to these guys that the cover versions which made them famous and earned them a crust.

There is a rawness to all of the tracks, a rawness missing from much of today's over-produced nonsense. The energy and extra dimension added by the female vocals are part of what made this band great and still makes the current line-up great on stage today.

My favourite Burn (I much prefer the original version to the one on the recent - and otherwise very good - Timewarped EP) and the under-rated More are just two of the many other highlights of psychedelia, punk and pop that make up this essential collection. The awesome debut album title track Laugh At The Pieces and the wonderfully eccentric and unbelievably catchy I Don't Want To Be Alone with You Tonight are other stand-out tracks.

But the overbearing thing that shines through, is that whatever style dominates each song - be it psychedelia, punk or pop, there is always a strong melody present, and that more than anything else means that these songs have stood the test of time.

The comprehensive sleevenotes give a history of the band and re-produce old cuttings and pics too, making this a great addition to anyone's collection.
on 5 October 2013
I had forgotten just how much I loved Doctor and the Medics' stuff. Everything of theirs I owned is on vinyl and long since moved up to the loft.

This took me right back to when I first saw them supporting The Damned in Oxford. Unique sound and I'm delighted that I was able to get hold of their earlier stuff on here.
on 25 February 2014
More to nearly a one hit wonder, Spirit In The Sky, I bought the album to see how Doctor And The Medics singles are. Waterloo, I had once on Now 8 and loved it but wasn't a big hit and the rest of their material I find 50/50. Not brilliant but can be listen and enjoyed if you're wanting something unusual.
As one reviewer pointed out, this is not entirely complete but it is the closest we are going to get.

The album is packed full of goodies taking in the hits and much before and after. The music is fun, psychaedelic, sometimes silly, often funny - and above all terrific listening.
on 22 May 2014
AS good as I remember it in the 70s, gave it to my husband as a gift and hes keeping it safe as he wants spirit in the sky played at his funeral (think he's got a long wait till then )
on 9 October 2015
Surprised to find that this disc even existed. What I enjoyed was the fact that the rare B-sides were included on this release. Worth the "used" price.
on 21 September 2014
Very happy top be able to get this CD