5.0 out of 5 stars Happy madness from the doctor!, 17 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Instant Heaven (Audio CD)
Instant heaven, blackart, dogstar, and Novacaine, are the standout tracks to my ear, but the whole album is quite fun and bizarre as always. I've always felt this band to be quite underrated. They were tagged as one-hit-wonders unfairly, and their work before and after "Spirit in the Sky" is equally engaging and wild, if you take the time to track their releases down. If you forgot they existed I strongly recommend this CD. "Laughing at the Pieces" rarely left my CD player the first few months I owned it, and this CD took up residence in my stereo as well for quite some time. Time to take your medicine: buy this CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Classics, 4 Jun 2014
Mr. M. Young "Melvoid of Azeroth" (Portsmouth UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Instant Heaven (Audio CD)
Love it more Dr and The Medics is no bad thing, been a fan since the early days but for some reason never got round to this album.
That was something I should have rectified a long time ago, cant really say if its better or worse than their other 2 albums I own (laughing at the Pieces and I Keep Thinking its Tuesday).
Its got its own character and that's no bad thing if your a fan and don't own it you should. if not id recommend Tuesday which is a total classic and a good place to start.
Also great price and speedy delivery all good.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE HELL OF A GOOD ALBUM, 6 Jan 2014
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV) "Hayling Is... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Instant Heaven (Audio CD)
This is the third Studio album from Dr and the Medics and is arguably the very best of the bunch.

The album is full of strong, original, psychedelic anthems delivered with drive, energy and panache.

If you buy any Medic's album as well as the 'Best of' compilation, make it this one - it's terrific from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking turn up for the books....., 25 Oct 2012
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Instant Heaven (Audio CD)
I bought this having recently purchased the "Spirit In The Sky - The Singles" CD which features a fine array of the Medics early singles and B sides many of which as far as I am aware (apart from those songs featured on "Laughing At The Pieces" "And I Keep Thinking Its Tuesday") had not been available on CD before.
This is the third studio album, and one which I had not owned before.It is very different to the first two (aforementioned) albums. The usual sense of humour is still there as is the pretty eclectic mix of rock stylings but this album seems more polished to my ear (I can't decide whether that makes it better or worse than the first two albums and preceding 12" EP releases - I think I'll sit on the fence and just reiterate that it's "different").
I really have enjoyed this album "Instant Heaven" is a great title track and the Doctor's usual sense of humour comes to the fore in "I Do 'Cause It Makes My Hair Grow". "Novocaine", "Dogstar 2001" and "Black and Blue" are hugely enjoyable and to be honest, I'm somewhat disappointed with myself that I didn't buy this sooner.
I read somewhere that this is the best album the Medics produced - is it ? It all depends on your taste of course, I really like it but it doesn't hold the same sentimental / nostalgia value as their earlier releases for me but then nothing tops "Happy But Twisted" , "Mole Catcher" and "Miracle Of The Age" as far as I'm concerned.....still this was a really good buy and a really enjoyable listen.
It's a shame that they couldn't keep the original line up together and a shame that they were almost cut adrift by the record companies because they were always, always more than just one hit wonders. A pity really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 6 Mar 2010
This review is from: Instant Heaven (Audio CD)
This a great album from a highly under-rated band. Played this non-stop for weeks after I got it. Still one of my favourites.

Instant Heaven
Instant Heaven by Doctor & the Medics (Audio CD - 2011)