4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Academy Spin Off
This review will contain spoilers.

I want to start by saying, you simply must read the original Vampire Academy series before reading this one. Many of the major plots and outcomes of the original series are revealed here in this book.

Published on 31 Aug 2011 by Rachael Parker

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality
I guess it's good, but not as good as I hoped it would be. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the order.
Published 20 months ago by Rihana

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Academy Spin Off, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This review will contain spoilers.

OK I am a major Rose Hathaway fan, of the hundreds upon hundred of books I have read she is by far my favourite character of all time, so needless to say I was a little dubious approaching the VA universe without her.
Our narrator Sydney Sage is the polar opposite of Rose and to be honest I am glad, she see's and reacts to situations differently (as she should) and it's refreshing, I am truly looking forward to see how her character will develop over the course of the series.

I'm not going to rehash the synopsis of the book, that can be found at the top of the page in the book description. I'm just going to go over some of the best points of the book.

Adrian, Adrian, Adrian. You can place me firmly in team Belikov so it is a testament to Richelle that I love Adrian so much, fans will be pleased to know that he features heavily in this book with all his witty adorable banter in tow.
Sydney is good for him and I think in turn he will be good for her.

Poor Eddie after everything he has been through, boy does he deserve to get a break.

Although Jill remained a somewhat minor character throughout the book I can see a storm brewing for her.

All in all Richelle did a fantastic job establishing old and new characters in a new setting, the only thing that I couldn't get my head around was Sydney's unrelenting fear of magic, unease and discomfort yeah sure but out and out panic inducing terror just didn't sit right with me when I was reading it. I really hope something happens to change that type of reaction early on in the next books, I was irritated beyond belief when she panicked and refused Adrians spirit healing after the Strigoi attack.

Just one last thing.
That last sentence in the book.
Those four beautiful words.
I was screaming like a teenage fan girl.
Poor Adrian but OMG.

Loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars yay for Vampires, 25 Aug 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
I have been waiting for Bloodlines since the moment I finished reading the last Vampire Academy book I am so pleased to say that it totally lived up to all my expectations.

Slipping back into the world of Moroi and Dhampri was fantastic. This book has all of the qualities that I loved about the first series, Well written characters and pacey and intriguing storyline which keeps you on the edge of your seat with all of the twists and turns it makes.

Bloodlines picks up directly after the end of Last sacrifice and follows the story of Sydney the Alchemist we met in the VA series as she is sent on a mission to live under cover with a vampire and help to protect and hide her from the various people who want to kill her to get at the new Queen.

As Sydney and Jill settled into their new lives as a boarding school in Palm Springs passing themselves off as ordinary humans several storylines are established. The first and most pressing is the issue around the brutal deaths of several teenage girls in the vicinity in recent years. One of Sydney's tasks to to uncover more about who is involved and why in her role of ensuring Jill is safe. Another very interesting storyline is one that comes to Sydney's attention almost by accident involving strange tatoos that other students seem to be desperate to get and she only become aware of when one of them assumes hers is from the same place.

My absolute favourite thing about this book is that it had so many of the characters we met and loved in previous series. I loved seeing Adrian again in particular who was his usual gorgeous self throughout.

another thing that I loved about this book was that, in true Richelle Mead style, when the action kicked off it really kicked off. The last section of the book was at break neck pace with loads of twists and turns thrown in all over the place I was kept on the edge of my seat right through the last sentence. Speaking of the last sentence I did actually whoop with joy and excitment at the last two words (and that's all I'm saying).

If you are a fan of Vampire Academy you will love this series as it has all the same awesome qualities of the original series whilst adding even more to the world in an engaging and exciting new story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start but I want more!, 25 July 2014
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
It’s been a long time since I’ve read anything by Richelle Mead and most of that is my fault, because once I heard she was writing Bloodlines, the spin off to Vampire Academy series; I knew I wanted to read it, however, I also knew I wanted to wait for a few books to be released in the series before making a start on it. So, as you can see, with the release of the fourth book in the Bloodline series, I now felt it was the perfect time for me to start, and I’m so glad I did.

Bloodlines was a great start to this new series. Richelle Mead is a fantastic writer and it was so easy to slip back into her style of writing. I have to admit I was slightly unsure if I was going to enjoy the story being told from Sydney's point of view, however, I was completely taken by surprise by how much I come to enjoy and love her. Sydney was a great narrator! And of course it was great to get to know Eddie, Jill and Adrian more...or course Adrian. I was always a fan of him in the VA series, even though Rose did pick the right guy for her, sadly Adrian suffered because of that. I think it was a wise choice by Richelle to continue Adrian's story through out the Bloodline series. We all love him and we all want that happy ending for him, so hopefully he will get one.

I really enjoyed the whole plot of Bloodlines too. It was something new and different. Not only do we get more from the Moroi and Dhampirs but we get the Alchemists too. It was interesting to unravel Sydney's beliefs and find out more of the gritty stuff to her work. We get more than one bad guy and we get some hope of a relationship between Adrian and Sydney.....eek! I'm super excited for that.

Anyway, Bloodlines was a good start and I look forward to reading more in The Golden Lily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect way to continue your VA fix, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
My Name is Laura and I am a Vampire Academy addict. So it will be no surprise that I was on tender hooks waiting for the postman to deliver me my copy of Bloodlines; the sequel series to the Vampire Academy books. I even had it delivered to work so I knew I wouldn't miss the delivery and even my bosses were on the lookout for it in the mail for me. They felt great empathy for a book worm in pain. Once it arrived (not soon enough *shakes fists at Royal Mail*) I dove in headfirst. This new series continues on in the VA world-scape but from the point of view of another character, Sydney Sage the Alchemist who takes on the undercover role at an elite high school to watch over Jill, a Moroi vampire, her guardian and her guardian of sorts/companion Adrian Ivashkov. HELL YES ARIAN IS BACK IN TOWN BABY! I loved Adrian and was tickled pink that he was being brought back for these books because there are few characters that can balance his charm, bad boy brooding skills and snark level without coming off like a jerk. I'm a snark junkie and Adrian is my fix of choice.

As ever, things are not as straight forward for Sydney as `watch out for the vampire and protect from bad guys' because of her history with the vampires and her ingrained anti vampire beliefs she has to fight her background and the powers that be in the Alchemist's system for her place and not to be cast out of her society completely. Sydney is much like Rose in the Vampire Academy books and is strong willed and smart but unlike Rose she finds it hard to show this side of her for fear of the repercussions. Rose is fearless where as Sydney has too much of a logical brain to live without fear. Fear is forced upon her.

The danger of the spin off series is not having enough of the original books to keep the original audience and in turn not have enough `new' ideas and material to warrant this fresh look at the fandom-verse but Richelle Mead is a master and doesn't disappoint. Bloodlines takes us on a new pathway into a world we already know and love and lets us see the world of Moroi, Dhamphirs and Stirgori threw new eyes and dangers to overcome as well as getting a huge look into the secret world of the Alchemists.

I was pleased to see more human interaction in the book because it made it more interesting for the characters to try and deal with each other but having to hide at the same time for fear of exposure to the wider world. Jill's character was explored nicely to let us get to know a character that was only touched upon in the VA books but became more developed in the last book so we got to really meet some characters that we already knew but didn't get a real feel for previously. The main story and the sub plots were well balanced and I'm really intrigued to see where they all go in the future books and if events in Bloodlines come back in bigger and badder ways.

The main thing I probably should address is a question I was asked by a non - VA reader: Can you read Bloodlines without having read the Vampire Academy books? I'd say that you can but I'd recommend that you read the VA's first mainly because if you decide to read them after Bloodlines then there are some big spoilers as to certain deaths and twists in Bloodlines that are revealed in the VA books and plus it's makes more logical sense to start from the beginning. However there isn't anything in Bloodlines that isn't explained so it does makes sense as a standalone; I'm just fussy about order.

Loved Bloodlines but I never had any doubt that I wouldn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Book, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
Bloodlines is a spin-off series of the vampire academy series in which the alchemist Sydney has to look after Jill because she is being hunted by assassins trying to stop Lissa staying Queen. Also girls are being murdered and there tattoo which have unique powers.

I really like Sydney's character and while both rose and Sydney are both protective and loyal, Sydney likes to think before acting and enjoys learning new things which I can really relate to.

I'm really glad some of our favourite characters return such as Jill and Eddie but it was also good to meet new ones like Keith and Trey. However was I am really happy about is that Adrian is back, although I always thought Rose should be with Demitri, I really hope Adrian his happily ever after.

I also like how the romance in this series is slower and more realistic than most YA paranormal romances, and while there was not much romance in this book there is a lot of potential.

Although it is a bit slower than the vampire academy series it was brilliant and kept on making you guess what was going on and who the bad guys are. I would recommend Bloodlines to anyone who likes or loves the vampire academy series.

5.0 out of 5 stars can't believe I doubted liking this!, 4 Jun 2012
SPOILER FREE

When I heard Sydney was the protagonist in this spin-off of the Vampire Academy series (which you should definetly read before thix), I wasn't so sure. However, I have trusted that Miss Mead knew what she was doing. Sydney is a surprisingly good leading character. I also appreciated the return of old characters (Adrian! Rose also made some appearances).

I liked the story and I love the author's writing, the conversationalist side of it allows the reader to be plunged into the story.

Though I don't really like Jill, I will still give a five star review because the rest is so great !

5.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
Once again I don't really know how to write this review without it turning into a massive Richelle Mead Gust-Fest!
I think everyone has been waiting for this book to be released all year, I know I have!

For those of you who may have been living under a rock for the past year, Bloodlines is the new spin off from Richelle's Vampire Academy series. I loved Vampire Academy, it is one of my favourite YA book series', so I was super excited to eventually get my hands on Bloodlines.

This time around we are thrown into the world of Sydney who we met in the Vampire Academy series, but didn't really find out too much about her except for her job. She is an alchemist.
She pretty much cleans up vampire messes and works to make sure humans do not find out about the vampire world, even though she works with vampires, being nice, friendly or even tolerant towards them is strictly frowned upon in the alchemist world. After going rogue and helping Rose in the Vampire Academy series Sydney is in some series trouble with her family and the rest of the alchemists.

In order to save her younger sister from being thrown into the world of vampires, Sydney takes up a new job in Palm Springs, playing the role of Jill's (Queen Vasalisa's half sister) sister and dorming with her in a elite private school to keep her out of harms way.

I won't say too much else because I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't read the book yet.
I completely fell in love with this book from page one (which if you know me isn't a big shock, I fall in love with all of Richelle's books from page one!). At first I wasn't too sure about the story being told from Sydney's point of view. I didn't think she was that great of a character in Vampire Academy, she had some great parts in that series, but I didn't know if she had enough pull as a character to tell an entire story.
I was wrong, she did!

As the story unfolds we get to see some of our favourite characters from the Vampire Academy series, as well as some new ones from the Bloodlines world. I really liked how the two worlds mixed at the start of the book and there were characters from both series' sitting in the same room together.

As with all of Richelle's book there is a mysterious danger element in the book and when that mystery is finally unravelled I was completely shocked!

Even though Vampire Academy has come to and end, I'm looking forward to seeing glimpses of my favourite characters in the new Bloodlines series now.
Bloodlines will never be the same as Vampire Academy, it is not meant to be the same! I really cannot wait to read more about Sydney and her antics now.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 10 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
I have been eager to get my hands on this book! I had high expectations for it and I wasn't disappointed.

Okay, as much as I loved this book, I have to admit this is not quite as good as the previous books. Having said that, I still enjoyed reading it alot and would definitely recommend this book to VA fans. Richelle Mead certainly knows how to write books that are fun, action-packed and easy to read. I had my doubts when I heard that Sydney would be the narrator but was pleasantly surprised by her! Of course I missed Rose's bad ass-ness and witty humour but Sydney brought something new and different to the series. The story was interesting and is certain to grab your attention from the very first chapter. It is a big change from the previous storyline with Rose but it was a nice change. We get an insight into Sydney's character; how she grew up, her moral struggle between her loyalty to the alchemists and her friendship with the vampires and her desire to redeem herself in the eyes of her superiors.

So, Why did I like this book? I'll sum it up in one word: Adrain. Oh, Adrain.. In my opinion, Adrian made the book. Without him, it wouldn't be nearly as good! He's his usual lazy, arrogant and sarcastic self, but hey, that's what makes him great! How can you not love his dark humour and devil-may-care attitude? He is an emotional wreck after his break-up with Rose, but his growing relationship with Sydney seems to be helping him. Sydney's relationship with Adrain isn't romantic yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes so in the next book! It was also nice to get to read more about Eddie as well. I always liked his character and was glad that he got a bigger role in this book. Jill, of course, has a huge role in the book. I missed the old characters like Rose, Dimitri, Christian and Lissa but we get to know more new characters which is great.

I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil a perfectly good book. It is definitely worth a read, especially if you have read the previous books and enjoyed them. As I said before, not the best book she's written but it's still a great read :)
So to conclude...... BUY IT :) that is all. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloodlines, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This had me hooked from the very first moment, so full of mysteries and questions I desperately needed answers to. Like, say, what Keith did that was so wrong. When I found out, I nearly screamed at the book, because all along I knew. There was no other explanation for it.
Adrian was a babe, as usual.
It was a little strange seeing the characters, like Rose, from someone else's eyes, because I'd grown accustomed to being in her head.
The mysteries just kept popping up. I genuinely loved this book and thought it was so much better than the first book of VA.

4.0 out of 5 stars C:, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have read the vampire academy series and I am a massive fan, but the ending tore me apart. if it wasn't for this series I think I would still be off crying somewhere. I need to say thanks to Richelle mead for writing these series and giving Adrian another chance as he is my favourite character. over this is a great book which is always exciting, with a new mystery around every corner. it shows the vampire world in a new light and explains everything. it gives you new characters to hate and fall in love with, and just overall a good book.

Bloodlines (book 1)