4.0 out of 5 stars What a Beast!
Published on 8 Oct 2011 by Robert Groom

2.0 out of 5 stars Good iron but serious flaw
Great Iron when it works but I've had some serious problems with regards to dirty water and other impurities coming out of the iron which now happens regularly (I only bought the iron in January 2013). I have to constantly descale the iron (even though the light doesn't come on indicating that it needs de-scaling) which doesn't seem to have much effect.

I'm...
Published 15 months ago by happy chappy

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Beast!, 8 Oct 2011
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips PerfectCare Expert GC9220/02 Steam Generator Iron - One Perfect Temperature - 230g Pressurised Steam Boost (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This iron is a complete revelation. If a conventional steam iron was likened to a stove-top espresso pot, then this thing is one of those coffee machines you see in Costa. It's flipping awesome. If you're fed up with puny steam irons which have about two gusts of steam before they cool down and start spitting water all over your clothes, then you're going to love the GC9220. It seems at first a little unwieldy, having a fairly large, separate water tank connected to the iron by a chunky cord, and another cord running from the tank to the mains. However, once you start to use it and see the sheer power of steam it can generate, and how much of it it can produce without becoming exhausted, it's a marvel. You also don't need to constantly fill it up while ironing, as the reservoir is about 5x that of your typical steam iron. The reservoir takes in water from the tank and pressurises it in a pressure vessel ready to be sent out to the separate iron head at the press of a button. Whoosh! And the creases are gone. The other great thing is that there is no temperature dial to worry about. Because it's driven by steam, the sole plate of the iron doesn't need to be heated to super high temperatures. This means less shiny patches on your clothes and presumably less burned holes too - although I've not pushed my luck to find out. All in all, if you iron enough to justify the asking price, then this is seriously worthy of your consideration. The only thing you need to be wary of, and my reason for docking a point - you are advised not to run it on hard water, so if like me you live in a hard water area, you need to budget for distilled water. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey -yes.... Justified.....? - Almost...., 26 Sep 2011
Ian Wantling "Ian Wantling" (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wondered if any domestic steam generator iron could justify the hefty price tag the GC9220 commands, and was a little doubtful - until I'd spent an hour using it. As it claims it definitely IS faster than any other iron I've used. The automatic temperature selector also gave me cause for concern but these were quickly dispelled after using the iron.

The mains cord and steam feed pipe are both of generous length and can be stored within the base unit - albeit taking a little manipulation to get them in there. The water tank is a good size meaning you're not forever refilling it. What I really like though was the steam output is totally controllable by one of two triggers on the handle of the iron. This meant the steam wasn't wasted on areas that didn't need steaming. I had a Russell Hobbs steam generator where the steam was either continually on or off - no burst facility - which is a must on these machines. The iron heats up really quickly as claimed.

Of all the irons I've owned and tested over the years the GC9220 is undoubtedly the best. I'd like to see Philips reduce the price however, as I think it's currently doing itself no favors with the current rrp. However, price aside the iron does all it claims and is a pleasure to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good iron but serious flaw, 10 Jun 2013
happy chappy (newcastle upon tyne, tyne & wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I'm going to try using a water filter to see if that helps but if it continues I'm going to return it back to Amazon which I'm trying my best to avoid as it will be a right pain to wrap and send back. I had a cheap £50 steam generator iron before this from Argos and never had a any problem with dirty water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fabulous, 20 Aug 2011
Emma W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a confession to make; I have not ironed for ten years. My 15 year old steam iron has languished somewhere in the back of a cupboard for some time now, while I hung clothes on a hanger while they were drying and thought "that'll do". This steam generator iron has been a revelation to me, I am completely converted.

I started by wrestling this fine piece of kit out of my husbands hands so I could try it (he loves it too and actually enjoys ironing now). Initially I found Philips' claims of not needing a temperature control hard to believe, and, worried that my clothes would be singed, cautiously tried a cotton shirt; it smoothed it to perfection in half the time it would have taken me before. Spurred on by my success, I tried linen, and again the creases just fell out. Then I started raiding our wardrobe looking for more stuff to iron, getting more brave and found my fears were unfounded, even delicate fabrics were indeed safe. And what's more, not having to wait for the iron to cool down or heat up saved time and meant I could go from ironing linen to silk and back again without needing to adjust anything. The premiss is that a hot sole plate is not that good at getting creases out, lots of steam is actually much better. The steam does all the work and as long as the sole plate is hot enough to dry off any residual water following the steam, that's hot enough.

If you haven't used a steam generator iron before it looks a bit daunting but it's not much different from a normal iron to use. You fill the water tank with tap water, plug it in and within 2 minutes you are ready to go. You almost have to train yourself out offering to press creases out, the steam does all the work - you just need to lightly smooth the iron over the fabric.

The base unit is quite large, about the size of a pressure cooker or small bread maker. It contains a large water reservoir which is good for two reasons, the water is stored in the base unit not the iron itself, so the iron is lighter, and the large capacity means you don't need to fill it up too often, a full tank will give you a couple of hours ironing time. The base unit also contains a heating element and generates steam under pressure, which travels through the connecting cord to the iron.

The iron itself is a little smaller and lighter than usual as it doesn't need to hold water. When you hold the iron, a button just under the handle is depressed, triggering the release of steam. This is enough to remove most creases, but there is a boost button for extra steam should you need it. You can even use this iron as a clothes steamer as it has a vertical steaming feature; hang clothing on a hanger, pull it taught and use the iron to steam the creases out, just lightly touching it with the sole plate.

It will automatically switch off after 10 minutes of being idle, and It has an automatic descale feature but I haven't had it long enough to use that yet. It doesn't need replacement cartridges though, which is another plus!

The down side of generating all that steam is that lots goes through the ironing board, condenses and a little even drips on the floor. My ironing board is fabric covered so gets quite damp and needs to dry out after use. Also the base unit is quite bulky so storage is more of an issue than for a normal iron, though I think it is worth the extra cupboard space. And, when in use, the base unit needs to stand on something like a kitchen worktop or a table. I wouldn't like to put it on the end of the ironing board as it would take up too much room and be in danger of being knocked off. It would also have been nice to have a retractable power cord, or at least some way to wind the cord up when not in use - what you actually get is a slot into which you can post the cable, but I can't get it to sit in there satisfactorily, so I worry about it falling out when I carry the machine back to it's cupboard.

Despite the few little niggles listed in the previous paragraph, it's performance is so good I still think it deserves the full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive ironing...... at a price!, 26 Sep 2011
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I couldn't believe an iron could be so easy to use - detach and fill the water tank, click it back into place, plug in, wait a couple of minutes for it to reach temperature and you're off. One cable from plug to water tank and another to the iron. There was no way the base was going to fit on my ironing board so I positioned it on a table at the end of the ironing board.

Having just returned from a couple of weeks abroad I had a massive pile of ironing to try it out on ranging from hard to iron linens to delicate silky tops and this iron made light work of them all, without me needing to sort them before I started and having to wait for the temperature to adjust as everything is ironed at the same temperature. Having no previous experience of a steam generating iron it took no time at all to get used to using steam instead of higher temperatures and the iron itself is a nice weight. I was a bit worried about the advertised same temperature for all types of material and approached delicates with caution but no concern was needed, I worked my way through the whole pile without any problems.

Really, really impressed and would highly recommend it...the only downside I can see is the storage space required. One minor niggle was trying to get the cables back into the storage slots which I found quite fiddly.

It's not cheap, but that said if you're someone who hates ironing as much as I do and like me don't iron as you go along but instead tackles a huge pile of ironing at the weekend it really is worth it.

Positives
~~~~~~~~~
No sorting of clothing required
No adjustments to temperature
Less effort for hard to iron items
2 hours ironing without refilling water tank

Negatives
~~~~~~~~~
Size and storage space required (approx measurements 18" depth x 12" high x 7" wide or 46 x 31 x 18 if you prefer cms)
Cable storage fiddly

4.0 out of 5 stars State-of-the-art ironing!, 21 Aug 2012
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this Philips won't make ironing a pleasure it will certainly take some of the effort out of it - for a price! My wife has been using one of these for a few months now and is getting some good results. She says it's a bit like switching from a car with a manual gearbox to driving an automatic - a bit daunting at first but after a short while you wouldn't want to change back!

This is an expensive product so do take the time to read what other reviewers say - especially the more negative ones, although most seem to find the iron to be good value. I would say that on the down side the cord is a bit short for us and the whole thing is a bit bulky when sitting on your ironing board - my wife had to modify her ironing style to get around the lack of space. A larger ironing board will probably be needed next time we replace our current one if we carry on using this Philips system.

This is state-of-the-art ironing and probably as good as it currently gets. There is a thirty day money back guarantee should you not get on with it so even though it is expensive you can get a refund if it doesn't suit you after a month. At the price I can't fully justify five stars - but not far off!

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy ironing again, 26 Feb 2012
There is nothing new about this technology with no temperature control - I used such irons in my dry cleaning shop over 15 years ago. What is impressive is the fact this industrial technology has been transferred into domestic appliance. The pressure of the steam is high, time spent on ironing is significantly shorter. One thing to remember - steam makes your garment slightly wet, and while warm it creases easily again. So hang it and let it cool down for a moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ironing made easy..., 11 Sep 2011
BookBliss (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a fan of ironing, personally, I don't understand how anybody can be. As far as possible I will try not to iron clothes but unfortunately, work shirts just don't look smart if covered in creases. The Philips PerfectCare GC9220 Steam Generator with Optimal Temperature Technology claims to make ironing easy and although at first sceptical, I have been pleasantly surprised.

There's no denying the base unit is huge, I've not had one of these new style steam irons before so I'm not sure how it compares to others, it's obviously far larger than a 'normal' iron but that was to be expected. At first I tried to perch the iron on the end of my ironing board, although it did fit (sort of) it didn't look safe and I was scared to move too much so I decided instead to place it on the side with the ironing board just in front of it. The cord for the iron is quite long, I'm not sure whether this was because Philips envisaged people having to do this or not. The other thing to mention about the cord is that Philips have created a storage area inside the case unit for each of the cords, although this makes it look a lot smarter when stored the cord isn't actually retractable and you have to manually squeeze it into the chamber, this is quite a tight fit and not easy to do (I nearly broke a nail!!), I'm not actually convinced that the neatness is worth the effort.

Anyway, the main reason for buying this iron is for its actual ironing ability. The temperature control is no longer needed as Philips have found a way of generating huge amounts of steam at lower temperatures, therefore the plate of the iron doesn't get anywhere near as hot as a normal iron, meaning you can move from one fabric to another with ease and it's far less likely to actually burn your clothes. This does iron a range of fabrics exceptionally well and I managed to complete the ironing in record time. I wouldn't say it makes the experience pleasurable but by reducing the time spent ironing it made me a happy bunny. I haven't tried leaving the iron on top of my clothes for extended periods of time, I'll have to trust that it doesn't burn them but in all honesty, I wasn't willing to risk the fact that it might not work, however, I did notice that it glides on fabrics where you may normally experience an element of sticking so I'm reasonably confident it would be ok.

All in all, this iron gets my vote; if moving from a conventional iron to a steam generator then you won't be disappointed and for me it's worth the extra money as it halved the amount of time 'wasted' on ironing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasurable ironing, 5 Sep 2011
misswise (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used this iron for two weeks now and I have to say it is great to use. The start up is quite easy; there are clearly detailed instructions on how to fill up the tank with ordinary tap water and wait for the steam to be produced. The iron glides easily on different types of fabrics. It also has a decalcifying function to descale the iron when ironing is completed. The steam button is just under the handle so I find that everytime I pick up the iron I inadvertently press the button and continuous pressing does produce a lot of steam. It is a little noisy when heating up the water to produce more steam as you iron. Overall, I am happy with the product and enjoy using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent with a small but, 7 July 2012
Wonderful concept & design. Very pleased with it however it does leak some droplets of water on the ironing board sometimes.