5.0 out of 5 stars Believe it or not, they do work

Published 3 months ago by Mark Dupuis

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe it or not, they do work, 14 Aug. 2014
S. Andreas "Andy" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder (Sports)
My arms have always been me absolute weakest point, so after some extensive googeling I stumbled upon FatGripz. At first I had doubts, come on, look at them. It's just two plastic handles, how on Earth can they help me at the gym? But for some reason I read up on them and I decided that I should give them a try. They are reasonable priced, and there's plenty of reviews around forums etc that give them the thumb up.

What's cool about the FatGripz is that you can feel the difference immediately. Your standard 22 lbs dumbbell seem much heavier, and combine that with the workout routine they recommend, and you will leave the gym with a massive pump. Right now I am six weeks into using the FatGripz, so halfway through the routine, and I do see results. As of today, I have gained 1cm (0,4") on both forearms. Same goes for the upper arm, around the biceps/triceps. That might not sound much for some, but for me that is just awesome. Hopefully I can gain another cm the last six weeks.

From day one I always carry the FatGripz to the gym and I will continue to use these bad boys after the 12 week routine is over. Most likely I will go for the Extreme version in the future and hope to see some serious gainz.

Thank you, FatGripz, you truly helped me work these arms.

4.0 out of 5 stars grippy, 3 Jan. 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, you should be careful when using these grips for the first few occasions as you will have a more open handed grip which can affect the safe weight you normally lift. As a precaution you should reduce your normal weight capacity until you have grown used to it. Secondly, everyone works out differently and so you may find something that works for one, may not have the same effect on another especially if you both have different hand sizes.

The grips are quite comfortable to hold in your hand and I found the grips easy to carry around the gym and so it wasn't like they were a hindrance to have with me. They are a simple construction of a hardened rubber which are split longitudinally. You can either slip them onto a bar when the weights are off, or prise them open and let them clamp onto the bar. They seem to pick up dirt very quickly and unfortunately it isn't a simple wipe clean surface, but they will clean up well if put into some warm soapy water.

I have used these for various exercises now and for various different body part workouts to get a good feel for them. I have found in my use of them that certain exercises benefit from the grips and others not so much. For example I found great benefit when using the flat chest machine but not much benefit when I used dumbbells to work my chest. I felt more of a workout using the grips when I was performing pulling tasks rather than the pushing, the lat pull down machine my favourite and most beneficial from the grips.

My gym contains two types of dumbbells, one with a thinner grip and one with a thicker grip. The grips worked well around the thinner style of dumbbell which was great, however they didn't quite fully close on the thicker grip style of dumbbell as the inner circumference is smaller than the bar. If you have large hands then the increase girth causes you to have to work harder on your grip and thus a better exercise, but if you have smaller hands then the grip is uncomfortable and ineffective and so you may have to reduce the weight you are lifting.

Do they work? I think so, I can certainly feel a beneficial difference in the work out on some exercises and I feel that my grip is improving. If you are happy enough with the results you are getting in the gym, then I wouldn't rush out to get these. If you are looking to increase workout, energy used, muscle growth and grip then they are worth giving them a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars FatGripz for Fat Forearms, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder (Sports)
FatGripz - a great tool if used properly!
Starting off, the first time you use them, especially on weights over 100 pounds, prepare to be surprised how weak your grip actually is. Using it on barbell rows, dumbell rows or any other grip-intensive exercise is a great tool for any athlete that needs serious grip strenght. Your grip will catch up quick and it will transfer into your sport.
When it comes to pressing - FatGripz might feel a little weird but they do alleviate elbow and shoulder pain. I've played baseball for 10 years and had elbow problems when pressing. With FatGripz that pain was gone pretty quick.
Now for bodybuilders - here it gets interesting. The pump you get is amazing! Not only your forearms, you entire arm - from shoulder to palm - get fired up like crazy and the muscle activation is insane! The intensity of your workouts goes through the roof and it's worth every penny!
On durability and usage - they are very durable. I have used them extensively - no scratches, no tears, nothing. Pop them on, pop them out in seconds. Very easy to clean! And when you have your nickname engraved on them - kinda feels cool to know who's boss!
I highly recommend every athlete or bodybuilder to start using them and feel the difference. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cured my Tennis Elbow!, 15 Aug. 2014
furry monster (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder (Sports)
These things ROCK! Not only does the increased bar diameter force your hands and forearms to work much harder than with a normal Olympic bar, but for me they had an awesome undocumented feature. A couple years ago I developed "tennis elbow" (lateral epicondylitis), and it just would not go away. I tried taking a break from the gym for a few weeks, deep tissue massage, and ice, but nothing seemed to shift it. For those who are are fortunate enough not to know about it, lateral epicondylitis is a painful condition where the forearms extensor tendons are torn at or near the attachment to the bone of the elbow. Tennis players commonly get it from hitting backhand shots. I bought a pair of FatGripz to strengthen my grip whilst lifting, but after three weeks suddenly realised my tennis elbow problem was GONE! I presume it worked because with the large diameter of the FatGripz on the bar, my hands were less closed, and so the extensor muscles and tendons were correspondingly less stretched. So while the extensor muscles and tendons were getting decent blood flow into them while exercising, the stretch on them was not enough to reopen the tendon tears. And of course they crank up your gripping power, and make your forearms look more burly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Arm Builder, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder (Sports)
There is no greater arm builder than Fat Gripz! They're portable when on the road, easy to use and definitely worth the investment. Thick bar training has long been known to be more advantageous in many aspects as it recruits more muscle fibres which in turn builds more muscle. Not only that, but whilst using a thick bar, you're also getting stronger! That's killing two birds with one stone. Building muscle and getting stronger at the same time. How cool is that ?! Fat Gripz also helps target the brachioradialis which is the smallest of the three elbow flexors which is often neglected. The advantageous of this Ultimate Arm Builder are endless and would be beneficial to anyone who's looking to have a stronger grip. Training with a thick bar would also translate to more functional everyday life. How often do we grip things that are as thin as a standard dumbbell or barbell ? After using Fat Gripz for more than 2 years now, I have progressed to the Fat Gripz Extreme but I would not recommend it until you've used the originals for a few months. All in all, a great product and definitely worth the investment if you're looking to annihilate your arms !

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much hype, 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder (Sports)
I own both the Fat Gripz and Iron Bull Grips and had plenty of time to put them to the test. First, I love the ergonomic design of the Iron Bull Grips. They just feel right in your hands unlike the fat gripz. They also fit better on my bars. My fat gripz revolve around my pull up bar where my iron bull grips stay in place. And although very similar between the two, I prefer the material of the iron bull grips. Overall, the Fat Gripz are too expensive and there are better options out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars It still requires dedication and sweat, 22 Dec. 2013
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a work in progress review as with most sports equipment, there is no overnight magic fix.

The "Gripz" are made of firm rubber with a slit on one side so that they can be fitted to dumbbells, barbells, and things like chin-up bars. They are 57mm diameter, 125mm long on the outer face and 100mm long on the inner face; the internal diameter is 27mm with the slit closed. They fitted my standard 1" (25mm) diameter dumbbells but allowed the bar to rotate as it didn't grip the knurling. I would need to pack out the dumbbell handle or consider Olympic bars. I fitted them on Aerobis Elite suspension handles for neutral grip chin-ups and there was more tension in the lower triceps and around the elbow. One of the workout downloads shows them being used on a tricep dip machine where I would have thought that they wouldn't have changed the muscle recruitment. That said, I've fitted them to press-up stands and they are comfortable as well providing plenty of grip for dropping my chest below the level of the handles.

3.0 out of 5 stars expensive, but they do make you ache in different places!, 25 April 2014
B. Roche "somethingisrotten" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
£35 for two bits of rubber (yes, I know it's an uber-scientific formula that doesn't compress or degrade its shape) seems a bit excessive, although having added them to my regular dumbbell exercises, it does initially make reps harder and shift where you feel the exercise working. They can feel a bit strange if you're used to a narrow bar - the extra chunkiness makes it feel as if you're going to drop it as you're holding onto less of the bar than you're used to - but you quickly get used to it. An added bonus is that I no longer get the skin pinching at the base of the finger which sometimes occurred during longer dumbbell sessions.

In conclusion - they're a good idea and seem to work, but are overpriced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reps for Jesus!, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder (Sports)
So I've been training with these for well over a year now. I had read a bit about these and a few people had recommended them so decided to take the plunge. I was a bit sceptical at first, given the price tag, but how wrong I was! My biggest regret is wasting time by reading up on these! Days of training wasted! Gains, strength and stamina all wasted!
They are fairly easy to put on and have even strapped them onto an Olympic bar. They don't close around wider bars but they don't slide off either.
Within 1 week using these for 3 out of 5 training sessions, I noticed a difference. My forearms burn after a session using these. My grip has improved and now rely less on chalk and straps.
They are durable and should last for years if you look after them.
They fit easily into a bag so no excuses!
I get asked all the time, "what are they?" And "do they work?", so I lend them out for a couple of sets and everyone says how good they are.
I use them for loads, shrugs, bicep curls, skull crushers, dead lifts (so tough!) and loads more, such a versatile product!
A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder (Sports)
For the average Joe like me this was the perfect solution. I can add the Fat Gripz into my training program depending on where I want to focus. At first I had to drop the weight down by about 20% realising how week my grip actually was. I always struggled with forearm development and now I get a real good forearm workout by just doing bicep curls with these babies. I also used to have this annoying pain/tension on my left wrist at max contraction when I did bicep curls. I assume due to a weak wrist. With Fat Gripz this has now gone and I can lift pain free!!
I have seen other guys in the gym with similar products, but I honestly have to admit that Fat Gripz are just better. Firstly the design allows it to wrap around dumbells and barbells much better than the others. Secondly the Material is more dureable. I've used mine for the last 5 years nearly 3x a week and mine look nearly as good as new, whereas guys with other products have already gone through a few of the other kind.

Definitely worth the investment!!
I never train arms without them!!

Fat Gripz - The Ultimate Arm Builder