5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!
Published on 13 Feb 2012 by Thomas Koch

1.0 out of 5 stars Will break in about 2 years
Superficially, this is a great amp. Great price, good sound, network enables, lots of inputs etc.

However, I started to experience problems with the unit after about a year.

Published 7 months ago by D. Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Will break in about 2 years, 18 May 2014
D. Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Onkyo TXNR609-BLACK 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver in Black (Electronics)

However, I started to experience problems with the unit after about a year.

Network connectivity would just stop working until I turned it off at the wall and then restarted. Sometimes I would turn it on yet the sound wouldn't come out until I changed inputs and then back to satellite.

Then finally after 2 years of being temperamental, it finally gave up, I now get no sound at all on any channel. Check online for nr 609 problems, almost everyone who buys this amp ends up with it failing after two years. DO NOT BUY!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 13 Feb 2012
This is an amazing product. It does everything I wanted it to do + a lot more. I like products that I can just plug and play. I could with this. Once you've done that, there is an 'infinite' amount of settings to play around with. I like the fact that you can spend very little time, i.e. hook it up and go. Or if you like to give it the very personal touch, you'll have more than enough settings to play with.
The speakers for my surround system are no longer the newest, 10+ years old. I have to say, and my friends would confirm, that the receiver gave them new life. Initially I thought it was only me, but there is quite an improvement to be noticed in sound quality.
It's a thumbs up all around.
For £379 this is a bargain and amazing value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant home cinema amp, 8 April 2012
The Onkyo 609 has been winning plaudits from numerous magazines and websites, and deservedly. The amp is easy to set up and use, and with its wide range of connections and features, from Spotify to DLNA to 4k video upscaling, it's good value for money. Matched with a decent set of speakers the Onkyo 609 sounds absolutely great whether playing movies or music. If I've got a criticism, it's the lack of Airplay support - but this is a petty little point. Overall, a fantastic piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 11 Jan 2012
What can i say but awesome bit of kit. Had onkyo's for years now but had to upgrade because of 3D TV. had my eye on this before christmas and ordered in sales!!!. so easy to connect and set up and then blew my mind with the sound. so much better than the previous ones and at a price that you just cant so no to !!!

would give it more stars if possible and suggest if buying new receiver, make sure its this one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only reciever you need, 13 Feb 2012
R. Scriven "Rob" (London England) - See all my reviews
Well what a buy.

I have been trying to decide how and if to upgrade my stereo, I used to have an assortment of speakers and an old Denon Micro system and a 1 box Sony DVD/Home theater system. I really wanted to be able to link my digital music up and reduce the number of boxes and speakers.

Well after lots of looking around and research I saw this beauty at Richer sounds. I got it and an LG blue ray player to play movies and music, and despite keeping the old Mission speakers from my Denon it sounds great. I decided I really wasn't that interested in full on surround sound (not that much of a movie buff) so I am sticking with stereo for now (hopefully adding a sub-woofer and some new speakers soon though).

Well it does everything I could want (for now) from a stereo, internet radio is awesome (why does anyone bother with DAB or FM?) the sound is crisp and clear on MP3's, CD's and movies. The up-scaling on DVD's works a treat, the DAC in the machine makes the music from my MP3 player sound great. The best trick of all is, once it's connected to the wireless router you can use your smartphone (Android in my case) to stream music and control most of the functions on the stereo.

Plenty of options to upgrade too, Spotify and Napster streaming with the appropriate subscriptions, up to 7.2 channel sound, DAB modules, i-phone modules (although why you would want either of these is a mystery as internet radio is superior to DAB and i-players are expensive and pointless compared to other MP3 players).

3.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, yes!, 27 Dec 2012
I purchased this amp to replace a faulty Denon avr A1se.
I was surprised by the size and weight of the amp. Bearing in mind that it is suppose to supply 7 x 120watts, I was expecting more. My first listening impressions were disappointing, partly due to my setting up which was a little flawed. I then used the bi-amping facility for my main speakers and adjusted the individual sounds levels by 'ear'.
This did improve the overall performance considerably. Remembering that this cost me £379 I should be more than satisfied. However, what the amp lacks is depth. I mean by this 'grunt', the power to drive your system to high volume levels was lacking. The other drawback is the heat. The amp get very hot and therefore should always have plenty of space to vent the heat. Otherwise you can purchase a decent fan with a usb connection and this I have read will keep it cooler. I am replacing this with another Denon avr A1se, purchased on ebay for £300, and using the amp in my 'gym'.
My advice: Yes it is a good purchase for the money and on medium to small systems its fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 17 Feb 2012
I. Radford (Northwich, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I've had Sony, Marantz and several Pioneer AV receivers before. Compared to all of them, this looks and feels cheap and "plasticky". I was so disappointed that it got relegated to the spare room straight away as I didn't consider it fit for the lounge. The response to the remote is so slow that you can go make a cup of coffee after each press (OK - an exaggeration but it is very frustrating)! The primary reason that I bought it was the Napster client which, unfortunately, just doesn't work (it's not the network: Sonos, Squeezebox and a Marantz HiFi all work fine). Operations simply fail, only to succeed when you try them again. I haven't actually managed to play any music though :-(

Perhaps I'm being overly harsh, it doesn't cost that much and I'm sure it's a good amp in the right circumstances, but make sure you take a look and play with one before purchasing...