on 1 July 2012
I cannot believe how easy this Panasonic BD burner/player was to fit and install! If you are not totally comfortable with fiddling with the internals of your precious laptop, like me then I suggest you look at some of the videos on YouTube which were so helpful and just gives you peace of mind even if you can or could work out what needs to be done. I have changed all manner of kit on a desktop but laptops always seems that much more stressful. Changing the front plate to the one from your old DVD burner is probably the most fiddly and nervous job given that it is plastic and could break when you are trying to ease it off the old drive. Mine virtually fell off the old DVD drive but the one on the new BD one was a pig to remove (though if you broke that it wouldn't be the end of the world) but the old one went on to the new drive like they had been together forever. It really is as easy as the guy makes it look in the video and Windows 7(64) recognized it immediately on restart and installed it without a hitch. Just a little difference I found was that my DVD or BD drive is only secured by one Phillips screw (actually marked ODD on the base of my laptop) and I did spend some moments trying to find the other two screws the one in the video has! Talking of screws, the ones which secure the mounting bracket to the drive are EXTREMELY small: it's mentioned in the video but they really are tiny so just make sure you have a suitable screwdriver around before you start. Mine were cross headed (Phillips) and I would think that is standard though I actually got away with a tiny slot screwdriver, which was all I had right there and then.
As for the drive itself it is quiet and VERY fast, much faster and significantly quieter than my old TEAC DVD burner which was installed as standard in my Samsung R780 laptop. If you are in the market for an internal Blu-Ray/DVD/CD player/burner then look no further, I doubt you'll find one better.

UPDATE: Almost a year since I bought and fitted this Blu-Ray Player/Burner and still going great. Now running W8(64) on the same Samsung laptop and just for the record it works fine. I have had no problems with disc rejection at all and I am a bit of cheap skate when it come to buying BD and DVD blanks - except for the 3 BD-RE 50(Blu-Ray re-writables)I have which are TDK and are just amazingly good and have been used again and again.
Whatever the media or make it burns a copy the exact same quality as the original. We are all used to that but I think worth noting here.
Speed of burning BD is by its very nature slow as well as PC resource hungry and time consuming but I think that is just the nature of the beast and though there may be faster and better out there somewhere, for the moment at least this works fine for me on all types and makes of media.
I see someone found my original review unhelpful or not helpful anyway. There are some strange people out there! :-)
Bought this to add Blu-Ray to my Toshiba C660 laptop, easy to fit had it up and running within ten minutes!
on 8 January 2015
I purchased this as an upgrade for an Alienware X51 and was pleasantly surprised to find out it worked. I have the R1 model but should also work in the R2 model as there isn't a lot of difference in the drive department.
It is worth noting that I did have to remove the black bezel on the front of the drive but this was very easy to remove with a fine flat head screwdriver. This should only apply if you are fitting it into a computer which already has a bezel built-in to the chassis.

The drive itself came wrapped in an anti-static bag in an easy to open cardboard box, not the best of packaging but I'm not really too fussed about the packaging, the easier to open the better.

The only slightly negative comment I can make is that I have to insert a disc a lot further into the drive before it actually picks it up. On the X51 the disc pick up is roughly 1.5cm closer to the front panel than the stock drive which is a little bit too close for my liking. This is the only reason I am giving the drive a 4/5 instead of 5/5.

I am yet to test the burning quality/speed but cannot imagine it should be a problem.
on 2 May 2013
But is rather fussy with what disks t writes to. I use Japanese blu ray disks that work fine. Reliable writing.
on 3 May 2013
Installed this in my machine (see above). Straightforward installation, drive fits perfectly.
No drivers required, worked on first boot after installation.
Have yet to test writing features, and Blu-Ray capabilities, but reads DVDs fine and with less noise than the original apple drive.

Great for everyone who is looking to extend (or as i my case replace) the superdrive in a macbook (or other 9.5mm fitting laptop).
on 5 February 2015
I bought this drive to put in my mid2012 MacBook Pro, while it was easy to install it doesn't have all the screw in holes that the original superdrive comes with so didn't fit in perfectly and after a days use the Blu-ray won't come out as its slightly out of line. I have gone back to my original superdrive now and ordered an enclosure for it. The drive itself works perfectly just doesn't fit right.
on 1 October 2015
Excellent plug and play on my lenovo 17.5 laptop old dvd drice cause problems but bluray one worked a trear excellent value
on 17 July 2015
Fits sales description to a T and therefore a perfect replacement for the damaged original. Great stuff.
on 11 September 2015
No problems with playback or recording on all supported formats, well worth the money
on 3 October 2014
I was a bit hesitant about how easy this would be to fit, but whilst the device comes with no instructions there are plenty of on-line videos, and it turns out to be quite easy. The drive replacement is a case of a single screw. Replacing the faceplate is a bit more fiddly, but the whole thing took me less than half an hour.