on 30 September 2013
I recently realised that I'm quite into post apocalyptic books. I'm not a massive reader to be honest, and I rarely finish my books before being distracted by another possibly good read. This one however had me hooked all the way through because of all the questions you have while immersed; such as WHY are these creatures here, WHERE did they come from, WHY do some people seem to know more than others about what is happening in this world, is it aliens, is it experiments gone wrong, is it evolution, is it different parallel universes?! I'm about to find out apparently what connects all these weird and wonderful storylines. I can't wait!

This is like a zombie post apololyptic read with so much more than "just zombies taking over the world" and so many more questions about what caused the events of October 15th!

Brilliant read, and so cheap too! :-)

Chris
North West England.
on 17 February 2015
First of all, I don’t usually read much in the post-apocalyptic vein (I find it even grimmer than crime!), so this whole experience was going to be new to me and I didn’t know what to expect.

The way it’s set out is in the conventional way of a book – with chapters. And, in this case, each chapter was from the point of view of a new character as they woke or realised they were alone in the world.

Initially, I found it slow to get into. I don’t know whether that was my mindset about the book, genre, serialisation aspect, format of knowing I had to work my way through a cast of characters and not knowing if I would remember them all, but as I continued to read, I found myself wanting to read on, wanting to know what came next, or what or why it had happened. Maybe the next paragraph would be able to explain a little more, or have a little tidbit in it.

As we came around to meeting the characters again, I suddenly found I was engrossed. I was watching the percentage meter on my Kindle telling me I didn’t have a huge amount left to read and yet I wanted more. Where had everyone gone? What was this creepy thing that was happening? Come-on authors you can’t leave me hanging like this! Yep. That’s right. I am hooked.

Serialised fiction, if done well, can really work. Apparently this had about 100 pages in it, so you’re not being held hostage over a few pages, it’s a third the size of a lot of novels.

I only intended to read this first one for this review, but I think I might find myself going back for the series one box-set. If you buy on Amazon, the first book is free and the first box-set (season one) is free. It’s a marketing tool to hook you in, the authors aren’t shy about admitting that. But that’s the whole point of serialisation, to make you want the next one.
on 18 April 2012
I simply loved this and cannot wait until i download more from these writers.Gentlemen :) you gained a hugeantic! fan.I sat up til 5am reading this i just could`nt and would`nt put it down.
Do you get exasperated when you watch your favorite television drama, the tension mounts, and just as someone is going to pull the trigger, fall into the river, or get stabbed, the words "to be continued" flash on your screen? Hopefully, the writers have left you with a "I can't wait to see what happens next" attitude. Sean Platt and David Wright have done exactly that with their serialized novel YESTERDAY'S GONE!

Episode 1 introduces us to the cast: a varied group from around the United States who somehow awaken to the fact that their entire world changed at 2:15 A.M. on October 15th. In many cases they are alone, moving through their part of the universe at a normal speed until they realize that their family, friends, or neighbors are missing. The light begins to dawn on them when they realize that there is no electricity, no phone, and no way to remain safe and secure. Survival instincts kick in.

As I read the opening scenes to this grab-you-by-the-throat thriller, I was reminded of the opening chapters of Stephen King's THE STAND. Strong characters, Hitchcock-like suspense, and a promise of "WTF cliffhangers" in every episode will have readers clinging to the edge of their seat and reaching for the next episode (there are currently twelve with more to come).

Don't miss this start to a wonderful read!

Caution: May not be suitable for age 13 or younger.
on 10 March 2014
I have been totally taken aback by this book. I was gripped from the very first page, and cannot wait for the next episode. Keep them coming, and keep up the good work
on 16 August 2012
To me this read like a draft screen play for a TV series. The concept of nearly everyone disappearing is interesting as is the nature of the disappearances not being the same everywhere. The construction and writing is not the best; there is not enough time spent on each character before introducing another so the reader doesn't have time to build a mental image and lock it in place before they are assailed with a new one. If it was a TV program it would work because you would have the visuals to fill in the 'narrative'. Just because everyone has disappeared doesn't make it science fiction just as Lost wasn't science fiction in fact I'm not sure what genre I would put it in. As I've said in other reviews the key to any story for me is whether I care what happens to the characters and I don't - interesting but not enough for me to continue with the series.
on 6 June 2014
I have been listening to Sean, David and Johnny on their podcast 'The Self Publishing Podcast' and find them entertaining, knowledgeable and very funny. So I decided to try one of their books and this one appealed to me the most.

It had me hooked from the opening chapter and the whole premise seems to stem from a Stephen King 'what if.....' thought. In this case, what if 99.9% of the population just vanished overnight.

The opening episode follows a group of people at the moment they realise the population has vanished and how some of them come together to try and figure out what the hell is going on. Although this book is mainly about the characters, it's an important introduction to the series, so can't figure why the negs are so down on it.

The characters are what drive this opening book, and you'll find you hate some characters and like others, but that's life. Didn't like one in particular and thought he was just too far right of edgy to enjoy reading about. Having said that this book made me want to purchase the series to find out what's next, so the authors have done their job and done it well.
on 25 May 2012
A lot of good things have already been said about this opening book to the serial but after first reading this free download of Episode One I just had to add by voice to the many that love it !
I was so hooked that as soon as I finished reading Episode One I searched for, found, purchased and downloaded the whole of Season One (episodes 1 to 6) which I consumed instantly.
Great characters and story threads that have you wondering where the hell you are going to end up next as you are swept up into a post apocalyptic world (or is it ?!) where the survivors are constantly battling to stay alive, come to terms with personal loss and figure out what to do next.
At the end of each episode you are left with a gotcha that just makes you want to read more, so you carry on ..................more questions, more gotchas and just full on adventure.
Well done to Sean Platt and David Wright on a fantastic ongoing saga, keep up the great writing guys.
On a last note I am now currently reading Season Two (episodes 7 to 12) and it just gets better and better, download this starter and enjoy
on 31 December 2013
Free and fun to read with imagination not needing a power supply or mouse and keyboard i highly recommend this book
on 21 August 2014
I read Apocalypse Z and loved the style of writing and how it kept me hooked that I just couldn't put it down. I started Yesterdays Gone yesterday funnily enough and the hours whizzed by and tonight I have already finished the first episode even though I've been at work all day. So how can I tell you both how much I enjoyed your writing? Well I just gave it a go with one episode to see if I liked it and I can't wait to start the next episode. I am hooked because you bring the characters to life. You style the writing based on the character, so even though the characters aren't on screen, I feel that we have gone through a scene change with each new character. Sean and David I would like to thank you for this entertainment and journey into another world, you have definitely captivated me and I'm no professional editor or even similar, just a simple reader, and that after all is who the writers want to reach. It is a powerful punch packed start and I love it.