5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it. Top notch advice for E-book conversion.
This book took you through precise steps to converting a Word doc into a Kindle E-book. I'm an advanced Word user so this book was perfect for me. Thank you Aaron!
Published on 7 Nov 2012 by Amber

It's okay. Some of the info is a bit long winded in my opinion, but I guess the author is trying to cover all needs. I found some interesting stuff here, but more relevant stuff to my own needs were to be found on the authors blog. Worth the asking price and it's a short read, but if you are looking for a clear step by step guide, this might not be the book for you...
Published 1 month ago by Paul Ekert

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't have done it without ya..., 6 Nov 2013
John P. Jones III (Albuquerque, NM, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: From Word to Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Microsoft Word, or Tips on Designing and Formatting Your Text So Your Ebook Doesn't Look Horrible (Like Everyone Else's) (Kindle Edition)
Well, actually I probably could have, but it would have taken me a LOT longer, with all that fumbling trial and error. I needed to publish something on Kindle, and an expeditious time frame was important, and Aaron Shephard's title described exactly what I wanted to do: take my book which I had written in Microsoft Word and have it published on Kindle.

Although I have a reasonable strong background in Information Technology, in terms of Microsoft Word itself, I would rate myself at an elementary level - I never really need to use 90-95% of its functions. So...when Shephard gives his warning at the beginning that says the book is for "intermediate" to "advanced" users, it is not necessarily so, with that caveat that one has had other experience in the IT field.

The main benefit I obtained from his work was being forced to consider all the various factors that needed to be reviewed for a proper-looking publication, such as the character, paragraph and page formats, as well as a table of contents. I had never used the "bookmark" and "hyperlink" features inside Word, and Shephard provided reasonable explanations, and they really do provide a much more professional looking, and functional book, particularly if there is a complexity of issues. I was also able to insert a number of pictures into the book, with the help of another publication of his, as well as a niece who had experience "tweaking" pictures in Photoshop, and the streamlined version works just fine.

I found his "version history" at the back of the book most interesting. He updated the book 13 times, sometimes within a week of each other. The last update, however, is in September, 2012, in "tech time," before the First World War. Despite various "raps" against Amazon, they really do continue to make immense improvements which facilitate publications by writers without all the leaden and lengthy waits one used to experience if the "high priests" of publishing in Manhattan become involved. Thus, as some other reviewers have indicated, certain information is obsolete. He suggested Courier as a font style, or Georgia, but I found Verdana or Calibri preferable. And in terms of style, he prefers paragraph indents, and no space between paragraphs, and as this review indicates, I prefer exactly the opposite. It is only 33 pages, and at the current price of 1 cent, it is crazy not to have it in any publisher's library. 4-stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Advice, 29 Sep 2013
Note: This book is for intermediate to advanced users of Word.

Aaron's advice is solid. It'll help anyone confused by the formatting issues caused by Word, html idiosyncrasies, or various versions of the Kindle reader. I learned a few things I didn't know, and I highlighted them for future reference. Although I watched for typos as I read, I couldn't find many.

I disagree on a couple of minor points - a matter of personal preference. And I don't like Aaron's use of typographic devices or his practice of moving the table of contents to the very front of the book. He does present a convincing argument for both techniques. However, they produce a book that, in my opinion, doesn't look as professional as it could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it. Top notch advice for E-book conversion., 7 Nov 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 4 Sep 2014
Terry D "tdawson735" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
A year ago Social Services asked me to put together a set of notes on the progressive development of my wife's dementia. They were well received and, apparently, quickly became part of an interview procedure for prospective social workers. If, having read those notes, the candidate was still dry-eyed, the considered opinion was that they should reconsider their career path.

Once my wife moved into permanent residential care it was logical for those notes, written in Word 2010, to be turned into something more comprehensive and made available as a Kindle book. In order to add `something' to the book I decided to include a number of - mostly family - photos relevant to the story. Unfortunately, when it comes to formatting images for a Kindle platform, Word insists on reducing them to a thumbnail size. Aaron Shepard's book Pictures on Kindle showed me exactly - and elegantly - how to overcome this problem and also pointed me in the direction of his companion book `From Word to Kindle'.

Aaron's advice on formatting the text proved absolutely invaluable and made sure the final book avoided all sorts of minor, but visually infuriating, errors including splitting strings such as `July 19, 2014' or `working‍/‍middle‌-‍class' across two lines. Other problems such as lists, tables, web and internal links, tables of contents and menu items are dealt with in a clear and extremely helpful manner. Plus, of course, everything involved in exporting the finished text into the HTML format to be submitted to Amazon KDP for conversion into the final Kindle book.

It's an invaluable book and, like Pictures on Kindle, easily merits six stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful although maybe it could be improved by some simplification, 22 Sep 2013
The major information is in this and I found it quite useful because it confirmed for me several issues resolved

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for a publishing novice, 16 Sep 2013
I found this invaluable; Shephard sees Kindle editions as proper books and provides very good advice about using Word. I am still leaning from it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Covers lots, but not really in a way I found useful to my own needs of producing a short fiction novel on Kindle., 8 Nov 2014

If in doubt, take a look at the Kindle FAQ list. Lots of answers in there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Therefore I will recommend this to those who are new o Kindle publishing ..., 18 July 2014
Well written, and follows the instruction given within. I decided to try to write my next book using Word, but have actually reverted to doing so using html code direct. That gives me total control over exactly what is presented, but also realize that many will not have experience to do the same.

Therefore I will recommend this to those who are new o Kindle publishing and have access to Word and have no HTML coding experience :)

3.0 out of 5 stars This chap is all over the place, with so ..., 3 Dec 2014
This chap is all over the place, with so very much knowledge he needs to lay it out in a more structured way. Also his chosen formatting looks very untidy to me, with 'ragged edge' on the right and no space between paragraphs. As of Dec. 2014 Amazon are updating their Kindle software so I would suggest waiting for Mr Shepherd to update his books before buying. Very knowledgable chap.

5.0 out of 5 stars cool, 13 July 2014
A. Sutherland - See all my reviews
Very easy to understand no waffling.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›