5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended - A Nifty Little Number!
Bought this grinder online as all the ones in the shop seemed to be 30 or so. Ordered this one and it arrived quickly (very well packaged) and it's brilliant!

Published on 14 Sep 2011 by hhflbspp

3.0 out of 5 stars 1st one stopped working after first use, 2nd one OK
There's not much to say except that I used it once to grind coffee beans, following the simple instructions (ie, not grinding for more then 30 seconds at a time) and partway through it just stopped working. Like another reviewer I left it for a little while in case it had overheated, but even the next day it still did not work.

Seems to be a common complaint,...
Published 9 months ago by Oliver Lea

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended - A Nifty Little Number!, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Andrew James Coffee, Nut and Spice Grinder - Powerful 150Watt, Stainless Steel Blades

Really good quality - simple to use and even has a safety feature to stop you grinding your fingers if you get clumsy... Based on coffee grinders I have had in the past I would say this model represents exceptional value for money. I've had it a couple of weeks now and it's going great guns (gets used most days). I confess to never having heard of 'Andrew James Electrics' beforehand - but from the instruction manual they appear to be a firm based in Co. Durham - and they get my vote!

5.0 out of 5 stars Curry made easy...., 12 Nov 2012
I bought this grinder specifically for my curry spices.I previously used ready
made powders or occasionally a mortar and pestle ( boring ! ). Now with this
machine I can use coriander, mustard and cumin seeds for more flavour and
freshness. The grinder is smooth, quiet, efficient and a real bargain at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin!, 2 May 2012
I bought this to grind seeds and grains to powder...and it does. Quick, efficient, what can I say? It works, and for a modest outlay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good value, 25 Aug 2012
I am well pleased with this. I broke my 12 year old Philips mill driven by my blender motor - because of sheer carelessness (trying to grind very hard parmesan - which I should have hand grated). I cant replace it unfortunately.

Ironically, I dont grind coffee really but wanted this for nuts,seeds and whole spices - particularly peppercorns. This is a small compact, easy to use machine and very well made. It does what it says on the box efficiently and quickly.

Cons - It is a coffee grinder really, so you can only do larger quantities in short bursts. Say 2ozs. at a time and you must not let the machine get too hot, bit of a disadvantage if you want to grind down say 8ozs. gran. sugar to make caster or icing sugar. But why grind large quantities of spices,coffee or nuts when you can always just grind enough for your immediate needs and have a really fresh product? You cant wash the stainless bowl/motor unit only the top perspex cover. Tip - keep a little stiff brush, the sort used to apply hair dye to brush out the housing properly of powder. You do get scent contamination however well you clean the device out, however. Grinding sugar after cardamom seeds for example, but the machine is cheap enough to buy two if you want to keep one just for spices.

Pros- this machine looks good, can stay on the work surface as it doesnt take up much space. No assembling required, very safe to use, robust, easy to operate, easy to clean, reasonably priced, powerful motor. It is fairly versatile, but it is not a washable food processor or blender driven mill attachment which will do larger quantities. But then these mills may not be robust enough for coffee beans. However, all considered the Andrew James grinder a very good buy and I can recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James coffee,nut, &spice grinder, 13 Feb 2012
C. Toye (Wales) - See all my reviews
I bought this grinder specifically for grinding Lin seeds, which are the same size as sessame seeds, but much harder.
I expected the seeds to be just stired around, but to my great pleasure they were ground to a powder in seconds!
I would recommend this grinder to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars 1st one stopped working after first use, 2nd one OK, 23 July 2013
Oliver Lea "Oli Lea" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews

Seems to be a common complaint, so I can only assume that it is an unreliable product. Whether or not I was happy with the quality of the grinding seems somewhat immaterial seeing as it only worked once! Am currently arranging a return.

**Update - Andrew James sent me a replacement free of charge, and it's worked fine so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grinder, 15 Sep 2011
This grinder has proven to be an excellent product - not only is it remarkably cheap - but it arrived almost the next day - and that was standard rate - so was absolutely delighted. For the past two weeks it has been used every day and several times a day grinding wheat and barley samples. (I'm a farmer) Can only say the grinder has had a hard two weeks work and its still going strong.
Many thanks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Feeble, 29 July 2013
R. Wade (London) - See all my reviews
I'm a little mystified as to how this product has so many good reviews, perhaps I (and my colleagues) were unlucky. I bought 4 of these as all my colleagues suddenly seemed to want one when I mentioned it. The price is hard to fault, but what a feeble piece of kit. It takes a minute or more to grind a couple of spoons of coffee beans, and then you're left with a rough, uneven grind.

As for grinding hard spices it has absolutely no hope.

The design of this type of coffee grinder hasn't changed in decades so how the geniuses at Andrew James came up with such a woeful example is a little baffling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee Grinder, 1 Oct 2011
I have used this machine several times now,and i cannot fault it.At the moment i have only ground coffee beans,not nuts.I have noticed the unit getting hot if grinding for long periods,so i tend to do 20 second bursts,then let it rest a few seconds,then repeat.
All in all very good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low cost Coffee grinder, 26 Aug 2011
In view of its low cost, I was dubious about purchasing an item that did not have a single review. However I decided that even if it were rubbish, I would loose little. The item arrived quicker than was said, and I immediately put it to use by grinding 1lb of coffee beans. It was quick, easy and clean (unlike my previous Molineux that I have now dumped). As this is only just purchased - August 2011, I naturally cannot say how long it will remain working, however its simple and effective design would indicate that it should last a good many years. I would recommend this even at double the price, and NO, I am no way connected with the sellers/manufacturers, etc!! - I am just a family man who is currently using the purchase for our morning / evening coffee.

ARRAY(0xa5344534)