5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Perfect
I was looking for digital watch that looks and is solid, this is perfect. The back light is not dazzling, but is bright enough and on long enough to tell the time at night. I would highly recommend anyone to get this watch.
Published on 4 Jan 2012 by Tim Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit dark
Lovely watch and we are keeping it although the screen is quite dark (even in daylight), depends on angle. We find that we need to put the watch light on. Wee bit disappointed only with this point, otherwise, lovely watch that looks great on the wrist.
Published 6 months ago by Angelina

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Perfect, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Casio G-SHOCK Men's Solar Digital Watch GR-8900A-1ER with Resin Strap (Watch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it!, 22 Jun 2013
This is my first G Shock and it is fair to say that it had lived up to and even exceeded my high expectations from such a prolific brand.
What sold this one for me over other models was the solar charge feature. Although this made it around 10 dearer than an equivalent, non-solar model, I felt this would be worth it due to the fact it would stop me having to try and carry out any horrible, nervous battery changes. This is particularly good on a tough watch, as removing the back cover to change the battery can compromise the waterproofing if you aren't careful.
The watch comes in a very nice metal tim/case and has a warranty card and full instructions which aptly explain all the minor details and functions of the watch. I will therefore not bore you with these in the review.
I was initially worried about the size of this watch when I bought it as I have very slim wrists, but even so I do not think the watch looks silly or out of place on me. There are also no issues with getting it tight enough as I have three spare holes on the strap to tighten. If you have larger wrists, the strap is easily long enough for you too as it is "extra long".
The watch is really comfortable. It is actually quite lightweight for its size and the resin strap is smooth and well finished. If you do a lot of sport then it is not particularly breathable, but even so this has not caused any discomfort for me.
The negative display looks great, and while it is sometimes tricky to read in low light conditions, the "illuminator" light does a great job of evenly lighting the whole display.
All of the buttons are very easily accessed and pressed. I understand that difficult buttons is a common complaint with other G Shock models, but I have encountered no such issues woth this one.
After a month of using this watch, the power level had never dropped below "H" for high and all of the features have been easy to manage and very useful. My previous watch had been a Timex Expedition analogue which only had a light and the date. Although I paid almost twice as much for this G Shock (60 rather than 35) it has been more than worth it for the comprehensive feature levels and the more robust feel and look.
Overall then this is a great watch which I would happily have paid 80+ for, and so at 60 it was terrific value. If you are in to outdoor activities, in the military or just want a tough, reliable watch, then you won't do much better than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Casio G-Shock 8900A-1ER, 65, Amazon, 16 Nov 2012
Smashing Crockery (Walsall, West Mids) - See all my reviews
This watch came today as a replacement for a 7 year-old Casio G-Shock GW2310(Tough Solar, not Multiband or Waveceptor) which I gave away.
Probably would've bought the same watch if it'd been available at a reasonable price, but only more expensive upgrades available with extra features I didn't need. So back to the drawing board.
Definitely wanted a Tough Solar G-Shock again as it worked so well on the last watch, and eliminates battery changes which just haven't gone well in my experience - they usually result in an unused or broken watch for some reason.
So given the available choices, I *really* wanted the 5610 1ER with its sharp design, reverse monochrome and proper-looking strap. Ultimately I just couldn't justify paying 115(on sale) for looks and very limited extras I didn't need.
So, excluding the uglier designs, I felt I *should* get the M850-1ER as it appeared to offer the best all-round functionality vs price. In the end I just wasn't crazy about the look of it, and once again didn't really need those extras.
Finally, out of the remaining contenders I settled on this 8900A-1ER because it has Tough Solar, all the features I actually need(see below), a good backlight and the overall design is pretty easy on the eye.

Features:

- stopwatch(inc' split)
- countdown timer(0 to 24 hours duration)
- 5 alarms(inc' snooze)
- hourly signal
- world time(48 cities, plus UTC(aka Coordinated Universal Time))
- electro-luminescent backlight(inc' auto-backlight when wrist/watch tilted up through ~40 degrees)
- power-saving mode - doesn't reset anything but effectively shuts display down when watch inactive, unmoved or out of light for a certain length of time. Reacivated by pressing any button.
- rubber strap with 2 pronged metal buckle
- flat(though slightly raised round middle) steel backing attached by 4 small phillips screws
- 200m water resistant

The only other thing I'd have wanted in this watch is a vibrating alarm as I find the alarms on all G-Shocks I've had/seen far too weak to wake me up. Couldn't track one down that had Tough Solar, was within my price range and didn't look ugly though so abandoned that idea.

Upsides/Downsides to the watch:

Major downside:

- I tried the auto-backlight earlier but couldn't get it to work despite repeated and thorough testing. As such, cancelled order with Amazon and asked for a replacement. Tried the auto-backlight again just now and it suddenly started to work. Very, very odd indeed - my guess is there's a mechanical component involved in this feature which can seize up after post-production storage. Who knows. I'm only really mentioning this in case someone else encounters the same problem and arrives here in desperation. Anyway it seems to be totally resolved now but will obviously keep an eye on it just in case. By the way, to enable the auto-backlight feature, hold down the light button until the right-most small circle in the plastic Saturn-like arrangement(on the upper left of watchface) turns from black to light grey/green. Instructions not too clear on that so I had originally thought it was the other way round(no - not why auto-backlight didn't work - I made sure I tried *all* possible permutations at the time, and it still didn't work believe me!!!)

(Edit: please see my comment for a possible explanation of this auto-backlight problem_

Minor downsides:

- Personally, I'm not sold on the big plastic Saturn-like arrangement on the top-left of the watchface. Obviously it wasn't a deal-breaker for me or I wouldn't have bought the watch, but I think the watch would be better without it. It's purpose just doesn't justify the real estate it takes up, and it looks a little tacky to my eyes. It comprises a larger central circle, flanked by 2 smaller circles, all framed by a raised(cheap-looking IMO) plastic frame. The larger circle is split into 10 segments corresponding to seconds ticking up(or down on countdown timer) - totally unnecessary bells and whistles IMHO. The other 2 smaller circles reflect whether power-saving or auto-EL are switched on - I think this would be better achieved with less space in line with the smaller snooze, alarm, sig & mute indicators. So for my money, Casio could scrap the whole plastic Saturn-like arrangement altogether and replace this with something more useful and less ugly. For me that would make this watch the best G-Shock available. I appreciate that's totally subjective though and it's really no biggie for me.

- While not a problem for me personally, I can totally understand why people complain about the contrast. The display is light grey/green on black so under certain lighting conditions it could be difficult to read, but of course you have that great EL-backlight which hopefully overcomes most adverse lighting conditions. Besides, I'm guessing that anyone who digs the reverse monochrome display, like me, is probably already aware of this common complaint and is nevertheless opting for style over visibility regardless. Also worth noting that there's no contrast adjustment setting on this watch, unlike some of the other reverse monochrome G-Shocks available.

Upsides:

- strap bit softer/more comfortable than the 2310. I have a 6.5" wrist and, if done up literally as tight as humanly possible, there's still 3 out of 11 rows of strap holes remaining.

- good EL backlight. No LED so whole screen equally lit - results in bluey/white characters on indigo background - higher contrast and brighter than usual. Better than the backlight on the 2310 I'd say. Not strong enough to be used as a torch though! (edited 20/11/12: on further inspection, there do appear to be 2 LEDs after all, *but* the overall effect is a very evenly lit watchface as opposed to the old bit-of-light-in-one-corner effect)

- buttons for mode/adjust/forward/reverse are large, flat***, square, plastic as opposed to small, round metal(e.g. 5600 / 5610). I personally find these much easier to find/press, especially when it comes to prolongued pressing.
*** OK so they're not exactly flat or square, more like a coat-of-arms shield shaped, folded by about 20 to 30 degrees down the vertical centre.

- If you're in a foreign country you can set the World Time screen to the foreign time, go back to the standard time screen and click the top-right button to display the foreign time permanently in the top-right window, replacing the date. Of course, you could alternatively adjust the usual time to the foreign time and display your home time on the top-right.

- Not too much pointless stuff printed on the screen like some G-Shocks, (e.g. 5610-1ER). Less is definitely more in a watch user interface.

- This is obviously massively subjective and probably not even worth mentioning, but ... the watch *feels* solid, and has a reassuring weight(not too heavy by any means though). Looks chunky on my wrist but not ridiculous - any bigger and it might just though!

Overall, I'm very happy with this watch for 65. Shame about the auto-backlight wild goose chase but I guess it's just one of those *weird* things (Yup still working!).
I know this review is somewhat on the long side but that was absolutely deliberate, as I struggled to find much useful first-hand information about this watch before I bought it. Hope it's useful to someone!

(edited 29/03/13: The watch lost exactly 19 seconds over the last 5 weeks. It lost a little more than that when I last checked though)

5.0 out of 5 stars g shock, 2 May 2012
this product is AMAZING by far the best watch ive ever had i have and will keep recommending it to everyone it has so much features and is well worth the money it is a must bye.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Watch, 11 May 2012
The look of this watch is amazing, a dark face with dark numbers. The fact that it is solar powered will hopefully save on batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love it, 2 April 2012
It is my first review for an item I bought cause I usually don't care about giving my comments on this sort of items but now I wanna say how amazing the watch is. The design is absolutely amazing. although it's got negative display it is really good in all light conditions just like a normal display. I had a little doubt in buying it first because I was afraid the negative display might not be a good option but now that I have it on my wrist i really love it and it is no way like what I thought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong piece of kit, 22 Jan 2014
Nice looking watch. I'd suggest looking at one in a shop if possible to make sure you're happy with the grey on black display - you often need to tilt the screen to be able to read the display so it's best suited to those with good eyesight.

It's a big, chunky watch; slightly tricky to wear with work shirt cuffs for example but looks great with a t shirt.

Easy to set up and decent features such as dual time zone, times, stopwatch. Seems strong as a tank which was my main aim so very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, buy one with no regret!, 18 Aug 2013
5 Star from me. Ordered and received quick! Unlike the photo it's not blue face at all, must be solar panel reflecting. Really impressed with this 'simple' watch. All the features I need, no more, no less. Opted for this model as I needed something robust, stylish and above all cheap. I change my watch very often but this could be on my wrist for a good time to come. Highly recommend...

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio G-SHOCK Men's Solar Digital Watch GR-8900A-1ER, 15 April 2012
MR JOSEPH J E HANCOCK (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a pretty damned good watch for me, as I wanted something tough. It's holding up to the abuse of my job very well, I never worry about knocking it on things, nor worry about scratching it up.
I wanted a watch that was 'self sustaining', and as a solar powered watch this one has yet to drop from 'H' (high battery) to 'M' or 'L' (for medium and low, respectively) after 1.5 months.
I've had an automatic watch before and I had to change the time every once in a while at first, as there are springy pieces of metal inside it to worry about (that get looser and out of time), and after a while it was losing time WAY too fast for my liking.

So, basically, I am very happy with this watch, and I am very happy with the services provided by the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, comfortable and worth every penny!, 29 July 2014
M. Fagan - See all my reviews
Awesome watch, the negative display is really something! It has all of the necessary features and is very light and comfortable. Clever how you can set it to light up in the dark by just going through the motion of looking at the watch with your arm/wrist movement. This retails for 50 more in the shops, how they stay in business I don't know!
I did research this watch before I bought as i have quite skinny wrists. Although big, the watch doesn't look out of proportion at all.