on 10 December 2013
A superb addition to the G-Shock range of watches. The Mudman has a generous feature set, with the main selling points being the prominent digital compass, moon phase graph and my buying decider, the thermometer.
A clear and precise display, showing the time, date and day information, as well as the usual world time, stop watch, timer, DST, tone mute and five alarm variations.
I like the attention to detail in G-Shocks, especially with regard to functionality and presentation. The GW9300's solar capability is a case in point, with its power save option and level indicator display. Great stuff! The 45 degree auto back light is a nice little touch too.
Not too excited about the inclusion of the compass and moon data, having the minimum of usage. However, they certainly don't detract from the watches overall appeal, as the face has excellent aesthetics.
The omission of 'Multi-band 6' (Waveceptor), is an odd one and in contradiction to other G-Shocks in the range, that incorporate this cool feature at half the price!!
Despite its moderate size and chunky looks, the G-Shock is comfortable and light to wear and doesn't feel bulky or intrusive for day to day use. For a smaller compact design, with equal wearable qualities, see the GW9110!
Typical of Casio's G-Shock heritage, quality of materials and construction are a high priority here. However, testing the durability or 'toughness' of the watch, with the use of a baseball bat or dropping it from a great height, only confirms the inane stupidity and boredom threshold of its owner. Use it, don't abuse it!
Take time to read the instruction booklet of 100 pages of English. Once mastered, navigation around the watch is quite straightforward and logical.
To sum up then. It's hard to fault the Mudman GW9300, and is one of my favourites to date. It's a high tech', no nonsense, superb quality time piece, that deserves high praise, and for that reason it's highly recommended.
on 18 September 2013
My first ever review of purchase.. After spending days searching and comparing a host of watches all over the net looking at videos and reviews posted like this by others, this is by far the best all round watch. I always wear it to work and gym just about everywhere. I love the idea of not changing the battery for long time. Its good size on wrist and its very easy to use and setup. The only thing that needs to be done is it-just the time to your country-city location and more important the compass and temp needs to be calibrated.
After that you will be very happy with this purchase,
Note my first purchase from Amazon UK, and there service and delivery time was great.
on 22 February 2013
This is my 2nd modern G-shock, the other being the negative display GR-8900A-1ER. This is exactly the same case size, though its taller so sits slightly higher off the wrist. This one is also a more matt black that the GR-8900A-1ER (which is a glossier black)
The strap fits my slender wrist better though.
The new Mudman is a lovely bit of kit. The buttons are a little stiffer than my other, but im not pressing them all that often, and its still easily used.
The Compass is uber cool, and ive checked it vs my normal compass and it spot on.
The temp sensor is pretty useless UNLESS its been off your wrist and sitting in ambient temperature for about 30 minutes, otherwise in normal office temp its reading 30c+....
The standard display is easy to read in normal light, though i would have preferred a negative display for the full "special-ops" vibe. Do i feel brave enough to do the negative display mod? We'll see...
on 8 January 2013
Now this thing is a MUDMAN!
They have changed the design completely to make this a big chunky yet very comfortable watch.
The display is nice a clear to read even in dark forests/woods, and when it gets too dark the backlight is fantastic. One of the best I've come across.
The functions are all practical and work well but the temperature function is a bit of a gimmick. The watch needs to be off your wrist for quite some time to get an accurate reading due to your body temperature. But you don't really need a watch to tell you what temp it is because you gonna know when your out there if you need a jacket or not! I can see the compass coming in very handy though and it seems to be accurate but not bang on like a proper compass.
This is a great, solid and well built watch with all the functions most people will need plus more!
It's fairly cool looking, but if you are after a chunky stylish G-Shock then I'd point you in the 7900 direction, especially the all black one with the negative display. But if you want a great watch for the outdoors where your going to be getting down and dirty in the mud then this is the watch for you!
on 22 January 2014
Very quick delivery and to be honest, absolutely loving it. I was torned between the Mudman and the Riseman. But finally chose compass and thermometer over barometer. Absolutely awesome piece of hardware, you will never regret with the Master of G collection. Whole heartedly recommended.
on 23 August 2013
Bought this as a work/casual watch after having my last GShock for approx 8 years. Not disappointed, very good design and build quality. Very rugged construction as expected. Large function buttons ideal for cold/gloved hands.
For the number of options and functions available going between modes is straightforward and reasonably intuitive. No scrolling through endless options and menus to find what you're looking for.
A large watch but that's to be expected for the hard life these watches are designed for, and not so large that it's in the way.
All in all a great watch.
on 7 March 2013
I have been looking for a new watch for some time now, I narrowed it down to four G Shocks, I must have read all the reviews before making my choice on the mudman it is a fantastic watch. Fantastic service from all involved. 100% pleased
on 6 March 2015
I've wanted a G shock for some time particularly for use in my job as they have a reputation for being rugged. I took my time looked at few of them, I would recommend trying them on as some don't feel high quality or look as good in the flesh. I saw the Mudman though and instantly liked the look of it and all the features and wasn't disappointed when I tried it on. at £125, £50 cheaper than in the high street I snapped it up and I am very pleased with my purchase.
Ok I'll probably never use features like the Moon age or the compass (I have tried it out and it works pretty accurately) but they are nice features all the same. It is a big chunky watch but it doesn't look daft and I haven't got massive wrists. The display is clear, I've noticed a common complaint with G- shocks is that the display is hard to read, I haven't had an issue with this watch and the illumination is good.
The strap is substantial feels pretty strong (I did try others and thought they felt a bit cheap and nasty), I don't have anything negative to say about the watch.
on 1 February 2012
I recieved the G-Shock Mudman as a gift after gentle hints that I planned to buy one myself..I was delighted to find it lived it up to everything I thought it would be...and more.

When I think i'm going to buy a product I'll spend extensive time on unboxing videos on YouTube and reviews and decided that the Mudman was modern, durable and fashionable. I can safely say it has not left my wrist since i opened the well presented packaging that it came in. A metal tin inside a high quality box features the watch itself and the warranty booklet, plus instructions. People are always commenting on it (in a positive manner) and I can wear it in the office, or on an field exercise with 15kg on my back. I've had G-Shock's in the past,and they seem to have matured and stayed current in this digital disposable age...which is quiet a feat.

You won't regret buying the Mudman
on 8 December 2011
I've owned several G-Shock watches in the past and this one is by the far the best I've had. The build is quality, it has already taken quite a bit of abuse and has held up well. I regularly use this watch when I'm climbing and mountain biking and hasn't even taken a scratch. The compass is an excellent feature but I'd only use this in an emergency when a more accurate, trustworthy system isn't available. But, it seems to work fine as does the thermometer. Overall I'm really happy with this watch. It also tells the time.

See one answered question