on 5 April 2012
I do not typically leave reviews but I feel this product has been unfairly marked done by others where they have obviously received a fake from marketplace sellers. Those negative reviews should have gone against the seller and not the product, and I hope this review redresses the balance in part. If you are interested in this product make sure you select Amazon as the seller from buying options to guarantee the product you receive is a genuine TwelveSouth product.

The iphone 4s is a quality piece of equipment and putting it in a plastic or rubber cheapy case just seemed to cheapen the phone. Also many of the cases do not adequately protect the screen leaving it at risk to scratches from keys and otehr objects in my pocket. Holding the iphone in my previous Griffen Elan Form case Griffin Elan Form Graphite Case for iPhone 4 / 4S was nasty and I doubt it had the protection it needed. I decided to get a leather case to match the style of the phone but did not want a star trek flippy styley case or a pouch. The bookbook is, well, like a book, made from a good quality thick leather that holds the phone firmly in place, I feel confident that my phone will be well protected in most situations of accidental butter fingers.

I was worried about the size of the bookbook but actually was surprised to find it is still quite compact and still easily fits in my front jeans pocket. Dimensions are approx 12cm x 7cm x 2cm.

What the bookbook is not:

1. It is not the perfect case for you if you take a lot of photos with your iphone. The phone does need to be pushed up an inch before a photo can be taken due to the lack of an aperture in the back of the case. This is often marked as a negative and people comment on making their own holes, however I strongly believe a hole for the camera in the back will spoil the overall appearance of the case. I use a proper camera for photos and only use the iphone's camera on rare occasions so this was not an issue for me.

2. It is not a replacement for your wallet. There is room for a couple of cards and some notes but really that's it. It is perfect for going out when you want to travel light and without bulky pockets, but there is no way all the contents of my wallet will fit in this case. Instead I use the 'ID holder' for photos of my kids.

Where the bookbbook excels over other cases (in my opinion):

1. The phone feels secure and protected
2. It does look absolutely fantastic, and the iphone looks good in it. The iphone 4s fits perfectly and the ringer switch matches up perfectly with the aperture in the leather (I have seen a video review where the switch was partially covered, I assume that was the iphone 4 or an older version of this case). The volume buttons are covered but the are + and - symbols embossed on the leather to show where they are and they are still fully functional. It even smells great!
3. It makes the iphone easier to hold when texting/browsing. Rather than hold the phone cupped in one hand, you hold it as if you are reading a book.
4. In my opinion it also make the phone easier to hold when making a call. The edges of the bookbook make it easier to grip and I feel less likely to drop the phone.
5. It does have the convenience of being able to store a couple of cards and some cash so carrying a separate wallet is not always needed.

The only downside I can see is the home button is a little more difficult to press with the leather support being so close to it, but this is such a minor point. Also the bookbook is not cheap, but it is a quality product and I believe you get what you pay for.

In summary, this is a good quality stylish phone case that offers good protection and the added bonus of being a small wallet, but not ideal for heavy user of the iphone camera.
on 3 October 2012
After reading some of the reviews here concerning counterfeit Bookbook product, I ordered from the Amazon.co.uk to be sure I could trust that they would send me a REAL product.

When I did receive it. I knew immediately that it was fake. The printing on the Bookbook packaging looked like a color photocopy - blurry & dull. The box itself loooked like it was carved with a stanley knife and poorly constructed, it also was wrapped in a clear plastic bag.

Printed copyright information was from 2011.

The product itself was a little more convincing but still 100% deception. It sure smelt like leather but the spine was badly cut, the Book Book branding was misaligned. The actual iPhone compartment itself was badly stitched to the cover - after putting my iPhone into it, the ear piece section wasn't event in-line with the dimensions of the device.

Furthermore, the bevelled stamping of both the the volume button area and "12" logo on the rear cover was badly done.

In the end, I printed out a returns form to send back to Amazon.co.uk for a full refund. In the mean-time, I ordered a REAL Bookbook directly from the Twelve South website - to be 100% sure that I was getting the real deal.

After shopping at Amazon for well over ten years, this is the first experience where I have received a counterfeit item from Amazon, and am very disappointed. Never the less, it has been a learning experience for me and I advise anyone buy a Twelve South product via Amazon to use extreme caution.

I gave a high star rating because I do love the (REAL) end product, that I ordered from Twelve South. My advice, if you want the real deal, order from [...]

SEE MY PROOF COMPARISON PICTURES: [...]

You have been warned :)
on 25 October 2011
Love my BookBook.
It looks really cool, and it is nice to have both the wallet and phone in the same place. Specially in summertime when you don't hav jackets with deep pockets.
Only drawback i can come up with is that you have to pusch out the phone a bit when you want to take pictures.
66 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2011
I bought this for my iPhone 4S and all i can say is it's wonderful. I keep two cards inside it; they are easy to access and use when pying with my debit card and I have no problems taking the phone out whenever anyone wants to see it, as they invariably do with a new iPhone.

Simple, sleek and great protection. Definitely worth the money. I have had many comments on how cool this looks and one girl even said it was worth buying an iPhone simply to get this case.

Can't rate it highly enough.

One final thing, to take pictures simply pull out the red tab at the top and push your phone up with your thumb. You don;t need to take it all the way out to get a great shot. I much prefer this than having an unsightly hole in the rear of my case which would only get filled with pocket lint or dirt from a table.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 October 2012
Not only is this case great to look at, its perfectly functional.
It fits a decent amount of cards, bank notes and the phone, the phone is as secure as you can get in a phone case, safe from scratches.
If i had a gripe its the lack of a camera hole, leaving you to remove the phone every time you need to take a picture.But thats a small gripe.
This may seem an expensive case, but the leather is great quality, just make sure you get the original not some fake version.

as a book loved this is my perfect little extra... just dont wear a linen suit and stand out on the pavment with it... I looked like a baptist preacher about to call down the wrath on everyone (grin)
on 20 November 2011
What a disappointment this case is. It appears at first sight to be leather but the spine turns out to be pink plastic painted with brown paint which soon flakes off in daily use in the pocket. I have used this case for a week now and the now pink spine is really ugly and lets down the good quality leather front, rear and interior. I was prepared to accept the design limitations highlighted in other reviews (lack of space for cards, cash and overall bulk in the pocket) but I have to admit defeat: I cannot accept the ghastly pink plastic spine. For £50 this case is very over-priced and not worth your money.
1212 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2012
I'm completely in love with this gorgeous little iPhone case. The spine is slightly lighter than my 'real' antiquarian books but it looks as good on the bookcase as it does on my desk.

Two minor problems:
Getting it out of the case when someone calls is a bit fiddly as you have to touch the screen to slide it out.
The other problem is getting it in and out of rare book reading rooms! Librarians think you're stealing a book...

It fits three cards, a folded note or two and - of course - an iPhone 4s.

I gave it full marks despite the minor problems because it really is beautifully made: feels and looks fabulous.
on 10 June 2012
I bought this for my husband and he was extremely pleased. He already has the BookBook for his laptop and I knew he would love the iPhone model. It is well made and looks great. He finds the ability to keep credit cards and money in it a bonus. The size is perfect for slipping into a pocket and provides protection for his phone. I would highly recommend it.
on 15 September 2012
This case is by far the most adequate for an Iphone 4/4S. I am an avid user of my Iphone and the previous cases I had bought did not have what I needed.
This one is stylish, it really looks like a book :) and the quality is unquestionable.
It's expensive, yes, but it's well worth it.
I do recommend it to everyone that want to spoil their Iphone and use it without limits and worries.
The case per se fits the Iphone perfectly and it gets really grasped, not a chance of moving and falling.
What can I say?
I ordered one for myself and once it arrived, the case was complimented to exhaustion. Then, my mother asked me to order one for herself.
I recommend it, without any doubt*
Packaging: amazing and well aconditioned; fast delivery.
on 14 May 2014
Let's cut to the chase, the case is a cracking idea but the one I received just wasn't like they showed in their imagery. I was hoping for a lovely aged look and I just didn't get that. It also didn't come with a camera hole (which they do now) which makes this case utterly useless for quick photo snaps. You have to be prepared to yank it out the case all the time. Within a year it all started going wrong with this case with some of the stitching, and so I've since changed it to something different.

Overall the concept is beautiful, but for the price and the longevity of it I wouldn't recommend any more. I may as well have bought an eBay replica instead and saved myself ¾ of the price!