5.0 out of 5 stars An Icon of a film
Published on 21 Sept. 2011 by bizmandan

2.0 out of 5 stars Unpleasant movie!
Fantastic picture, very good audio, lot of good scenes, probably good directing and acting, thats it. Who is this movie for? The only thing ive seen is psychoes and what they do, where is the story? Was it some kind of education, or is it simply a human freakshow?

I think I rather review the reviews for this movie rather than try to understand the movie. 306...
Published 14 months ago by knut a

5.0 out of 5 stars An Icon of a film, 21 Sept. 2011
bizmandan (staffordshire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulp Fiction [DVD] (DVD)
Outrageously violent, time-twisting, and in love with language, you don't need me to tell you that Pulp Fiction was widely considered the most influential American movie of the 1990s. Director Quentin Tarantino merged amazingly complex yet casual dialogue with the serious violence of American gangster movies and films noirs mixed up with the wacky violence of cartoons and video games.

The fragmented story-telling structure keeps you watching to see how it all fits together. The script intertwines three stories, featuring Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta, as hit men who have philosophical interchanges on such topics as the French names for American fast food products; Bruce Willis as a boxer; and Uma Thurman, whose dance sequence with Travolta proved an instant classic.

The moments of shocking violence are simultaneously humorous and ghastly. The surreal yet realistic atmosphere, long takes, and wittily literate non-stop dialogue engage me in the characters' experience.

I'm sure I could dissect this film to no end, commenting on the pop culture references and influences, I could comment on how I enjoyed Samuel L Jackson's furiously philosophical character and the mysterious item that was in that brief case, but I won't. I won't because I don't need to, it won't change the fact that this film is an absolute classic, everybody knows it and it will always be remembered when people think of 90's cinema, plus It's so nice to watch a film that is a critical sensation and a box-office hit, as you feel clever and entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars **********BLU-RAY REVIEW*********, 19 Oct. 2011
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pulp Fiction [1994] [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
At last, the legend arrives (with little promotion for some reason) that got me into Tarantino in the first place. The quirky Pulp Fiction that I remember the first time I saw it at the cinema had me wanting to leave after the first 30mins because I didn't have a clue what was going on! So happy I stayed and since then the movie has seated itself firmly in my top 20. It's another of those movies that the dialogue and scenes have firmly lodged themselves in my crazy mind. When I see chips with mayonaise, I think of Pulp; when I someone mentions a magic marker, I think of Pulp; if someone asks me for a pair of pliers, I respond with 'And a blowtorch?'. I could go on. Yes, watching Pulp Fiction could damage your mind but I so advise you to do so - over and over again! It is bad language; it is violent; it's also epic!

Ok, the transfer: With the blu-ray edition we get one of those wonderful cardboard sleeves slipped over the BD box (that I remove and place in the bin). On that sleeve, some kind sole has placed a sticker that says 'DIRECTOR APPROVED' and Quentin has even signed it - bless! I found this strange but when I fired up the movie, I 'd like to put my sticker on it too. The picture is amazing! We are talking crystal clear. Hairs on Tim Roths arms, stubble on JT's face that he probably didn't expect us to see and BAMF's hair looks super shiny. The legendary soundtrack comes out in DTS-HD master straight into our living rooms that I guarantee will have your limbs making unprovoked moves.

Transfer score is 9/10

The extras are plentiful. It takes the extras from the DVD Collectors edition and adds some up-to-date interviews with the cast.

Languages: English and ....English

Subs: English

Region locked

4.0 out of 5 stars No classic, 20 July 2008
Irikefe Okonedo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulp Fiction [DVD] (DVD)
I do not deny that this much lauded Quentin Tarantino film set in a violent underworld is enjoyable. There is snappy dialogue, interesting characters - such as Samuel L. Jackson's Bible-quoting hit man, Harvey Keitel's problem solving `Wolf' and Bruce Willis's boxer on the run - intelligent banter between the film's various characters - such as between Samuel L. Jackson and his hit man partner John Travolta and between John Travolta and his gangster boss's wife Uma Thurman when the two of them go out on a `date' - a number of conflicts involving guns that highlight the violent underworld which the film's characters inhabit, a particularly horrifying scene that takes place in the basement of a second-hand store and even an excellent cameo from Tarantino himself as Samuel L. Jackson's testy friend who doesn't want his wife to find out about his underworld connections. But these elements unfortunately do not add up to a whole because this film is lacking the most basic ingredient that any film must possess: a plot. There just isn't one. Lots of `stuff' happens in this film but there is no story to follow, no tale being told, just the activities of a group of disparate characters who do this and that and then the film is over. It may seem strange that I am giving this film 4 stars after such criticism but that is because what there is to watch is enjoyable as I have already said, despite the film's severe shortcomings. This is a testament to Tarantino's ability to create an enjoyable film experience for the viewer. But just as candy floss is only meant to please the taste buds and not fill the stomach likewise this film cannot be considered a meal, because of what it lacks. Yes, it is enjoyable. But it is no classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Royale With Cheese, 27 April 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pulp Fiction [DVD] (DVD)
I had the opportunity to watch 'Pulp Fiction' the other day with friends. It was as funny and violent as I remembered. After all it is a film about blood and gore, sex, rock n' roll, drugs and pretty fancy clothing.

This may be John Travolta's best role. He is an actor I dislike intensely, but in this role I could overlook that. He is Vincent Vega, a hit man who works for the mob. The more messes he gets into, the worse they become. We see him with his partner, Jules, played by Samuel L. Jackson, on their way to visit drug dealers, and are discussing the French word for Quarter Pounders. Sounds pretty innocent, does it not?

Travolta is asked by his boss, Ving Rhames to take his wife, played by Uma Thurman,out for a night. Travolta turns up stoned, and can barely talk. They go to Jack Rabbit Slim's, a 50's theme restaurant. Thurman overdoses and a mess develops.
Around every other corner is another mess to be cleaned iPhone. The action is violent, the conversations hilarious, and the writing if this film one if the best. Of course, the director, Quentin Tarantino is superb, and really he cannot outdo himself with another film.

We laughed and cringed our way through this film, and I thought, this needs to be seen on a regular basis!

Highly Recommended. prisrob 04-27-14

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Film Ever Made, 20 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
The best film ever made is here included in a truly wonderful box set. This has everything a fan could ever want.
Pulp Fiction is a brilliantly told film about gangster life in L.A. It is a compilation of four interlocking stories about a gangster's life innvolving drugs violence and a whole lot of humour. The main thing that makes this film extra special, and why I love it so, is the incredible dialogue by Quentin Tarantino. Any one who has seen his films will know what talent he has for casual conversation and dark humour, and this is superbly displayed in Pulp Fiction. Not only does it have the perfect screenplay and diection (both by Tarantino), it has perfect acting. John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson have incredible chemistry acting out Pulp Fiction's stylish and funny situations. The brilliance of the film is also continued on disc 2 of the DVD. There are interviews with the cast, and 25 minutes of very interesting deleted scenes.
The film is also renowned for its excellent soundtrack, and this is blissfully included in this set. You don't have to have any particular taste for this soundtrack to like it, as it has a variety of music from Chuck Berry to surfing music. Also, there are a couple more tracks added on from the original soundtrack, including a very enjoyable interview with Tarantino.
Just when you think this already perfect box set couldn't get any better, you discover that you also get a behind the scenes booklet, and a very precious cell from the film, which any fan should cherish for the rest of their life. The set also contains the theatrical poster, which is excellent just to have up as a shrine to this excellent film.
I loved Pulp Fiction, and getting this set just made me over the moon. I strongly reccomend it. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulp Fiction, 6 Mar. 2011
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pulp Fiction [DVD] (DVD)
After `Reservoir Dogs', `Pulp Fiction' is the film that cemented Tarantino's place in the film world as a director/writer of distinction. On repeated viewings you can see why and I still marvel at the style of this film.

This is made up of a series of vignettes around LA and with a core of the same characters, until everything comes full circle and ties up at the end. This delivers a fast paced, gritty storyline and whilst the humour is certainly dark, it can't help but make you laugh. The cast is outstanding and Travolta, Samuel L Jackson and Bruce Willis all turn out stellar performances.

It goes some way to show how enduring a film is if lines or scenes from it are still quoted many years after it was made and this is definitely one of those film. The amount of times I have seen a pastiche of this or heard lines from it on TV or from friends is incredible. The direction is amazing, with a few scenes standing out (like Willis leaning against a wall in close up, with Ving Rhames character chasing him down an alley in the distance),simple perfection. The plot is excellent too with the non-chronological vignettes unweaving the story as it goes. The soundtrack, as in most Tarantino film, is a key element and each song matches the scene perfectly and the interaction between the music and actors is a sight to behold (again I`m thinking of the now iconic scene where Uma Thurman dances the twist with Travolta).

This is highly lauded and beloved by many fans for good reason and if you haven't seen this yet then snap it up and if you have seen it, then add this to your discerning film collection.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulp Fiction Blu Ray, 3 May 2011
I received this today and can confirm that this blu ray disk is region free and plays on UK blu ray players.

There is no point in reviewing the film as if you are reading this then you already know its quality but this is the review of the disk and can confirm that the picture quality and detail is amazing as is the sound, can't imagine the film looking and sounding any better.

Picture Quality 5/5
Sound 4.5/5

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Pulp Fiction [1994] [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
An instant classic, banter between hitmen, comedy, action, drama this film has it all. Right up there with Shawshank and goodfellas as an all time classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Special edition no different to original version, 30 Oct. 2000
I bought this video based on the fact that it was a directors cut special edition with extra footage. I already owned a copy of the original version. If you are a first time purchaser of this film then go for this version but dont buy this copy for the special edition. The extra footage is good but unfortunaetly it is all plonked at the end of the film not in its rightful places throughout the film. This was disappointing. The film as always is great with some real surprises along the journey if you havent seen it but could have been so much better with the extra scenes in the right places. Tarantino has once again hit the mark with his writing and directing of the script. Only he could bring his film scripts to life on the screen. Still looking forward to his next work. Hope it follows in the class set by this film not like the disappointing Jackie Brown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who let the crazies out, 13 Jan. 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pulp Fiction [1994] [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This review is for the Blu-ray version of the film. Amazon have a habit of mixing reviews from different formats.

The first time I watched this I just couldn't understand why it started half way through the film and what all the fuss was about. A few years later I watched it again and for some reason I paid a lot more attention to it. It pulled me into until I became a big fan. Now I have seen it dozens of times and I can see why it rates so highly on IMDb.

The story follows a few plots that converge at different points in the film. Very cleverly constructed, but the film is not for the easily offended. It is packed with murderous violence, armed robbery, male rape, drug taking, littered with every expletive you can think of and all this is wrapped up in a warped dark humour. On this occasion I am inclined to agree with the 18 rating! There are some very memorable quotes from this film and just as many goofs that you get to pick up on the more you watch it.

Considering this is now pretty much a bargain bucket film, you should be able to pick the Blu-ray up relatively cheaply and it is well worth it. The quality is so much better than the DVD

Pulp Fiction  [1994] [Blu-ray]
Pulp Fiction [1994] [Blu-ray] by Quentin Tarantino (Blu-ray - 2011)