on 7 September 2012
Bought this to replace a cheaper, self assembly portable drive that I dropped, killing the disc.

The unit itself is reassuringly chunky - there's a rigid plastic inner which sits in a rubbery sleeve - it's not hard to prise the sleeve off exposing the assembly screws should you wish to swap the harddisc later (I've not done this though). I haven't check how shock resistant it is (and don't plan to!).

The disc is branded as 500GB yet actually presents 465GB pre-formated in FAT32 and has a few programs on it for warranty registration, and some disc utilities - I'm not really interested in those though, and they'll probably be ditched when I reformat it to NTFS.

There's a button on the top of the unit which lights up when it's active/awake - the button I suspect is for 'one touch backup' but as I've not installed all the junk that comes on it that feature doesn't work right now.

Connection is via the fairly common USB A to mini B cable - it's a Y cable with 2 USB A plugs on it, one for data & power, the other to add more power - this isn't always needed as the disc might work on the power generated from a single USB port (they're *supposed* to generate 0.5A at 5v) but I've found some comuters don't have enough juice to spin up the disc off one port.

There's no other connections on the device for power - it's all through the usb.

It has a 'sleep' feature which will put the drive in standby if left for about 10minutes it then takes a few more seconds to wake up and respond to a request - this could be good, or could be an irritation, I haven't decided yet.

Haven't done any benchmarking or any of that geeky stuff it seems fairly quick for usb 2, it's certainly not slower than my older PATA based drive.
on 13 September 2012
Bought this a few weeks back. Thought is would be ok, especially given the shock resistance case I was carrying it around in. However, unlike with most backup devices, the installed software on it interfered with the backup process, in particular with the Windows systems tools backup. The backup process would just stop working, for no apparent reason. When I tried to get rid of the software installed on the device it appeared there was no easy way to do this. It does not let you reformat the drive easily. Rather than go through the process and spending a lot of time in deleting the software installed I chose to return the device and opt for a less complicated solution, i.e. another, much more simpler, drive.

I'm not saying that it is not a good device, but that I wanted a simple and straight-forward solution to backing-up. I just found that this device was not it. If you want a simple life and solution to backing up, this is not the place to look.
on 17 October 2012
a good 1TB storage device which can be read by my media player and lets me store loads of videos, music etc whilst i am on the move. like the rugged feel of the rubberized case. gives the impression of being pretty shockproof
on 14 January 2013
Bought as a present for my son as the last harddrive he had was destroyed by his 18month son. Bought this one as I have the 320gb version. Very robust and to date (over 2 years now) I have had no probelms with mine, good robust workhorse which is still quite small.
on 8 August 2013
I've been using Flash Drives for years to backup my files. But, as file sizes have greatly increased with 'improved' technology, these devices are never going to have enough space long-term for all my files, particularly the ginormous movie files my Canon IXUS 310 HS Camera creates AND I've already spent a small fortune on them.

The largest capacity Flash Drive I've bought so far is 32GB. Flash Drives with higher capacities are available but still cost orders of magnitude more per GB than a Hard Disk Drive (HDD). I'd have spent hundreds of pounds on them for the equivalent storage space of this 1TB - in real terms 931GB - HDD so it made economic sense to switch. I'll still use the Flash Drives for important files (belt and braces) and I have to admit to not being keen on portable magnetic storage devices that have moving parts but this one is supposed to be robust which is why I chose it over others. That and, of course, that it is a Transcend which has never let me down yet.

Anyway, I've only had this HDD a short while but so far I'm more than satisfied with it. Its file system is FAT32, which does seem a bit odd for such a large capacity, so the maximum file size is 4GB and I don't know if it can be formatted to NTFS to allow for larger files. It has software you can use to backup but I prefer to be in control so haven't used it. As an example of write speed, it took just 21 minutes on my Desktop PC in Windows XP to copy 192 files and 14 folders totalling 20GB - this included 57 .MOV and 121 .JPG files. Compare this to the Transcend 32GB JetFlash V70 Rugged USB Drive which took 43 minutes to copy 142 files and 11 folders totalling 19.5GB - this included 53 .MOV and 77 .JPG files. Its file system is also FAT32.

At more than twice the speed for the same files plus more of the same filetypes I definitely made the right buying choice.

And it looks and feels gorgeous - always a bonus.
on 21 November 2012
I would have given this External Hard drive 5 stars, but I never give full marks on an item I have just purchased, I wait until I have had some use from it.
I will say that I am extremely satisfied with the look of it, it does look and feel the part although I have not dropped tested it but my previous Desktop Hard Drive was dropped once and it it stopped working hence the reason for this purchase. If you are in the market for a good quality Hard Drive I would seriously consider buying this one. Also consider 3 year long guarantee in total, you will not get better.
on 30 September 2013
Good for size, powered by usb cable and shares with same usb cable. Dropped it on the floor a couple of times, it's still working great.

I wish it was USB 3, but none the less it works great.

Comes in fat32, which means the files can only be as large as 4 gigabytes, per file.

Se link for how to format the drive to NTFS format which allows you to have bigger files on the drive.

on 13 May 2013
I have used this for a few months now, It is kept in a bag I take to work every day and I have dropped it on occasions. It is as fast as can be expected on a USB 2 socket quicker than others I have used. It has prven very reliable and robust.
on 20 November 2012
I was very disappointed with the Transcend. I moved the laptop the device was connected to between rooms, no knocks or spills other than placing the laptop and the device on a glass topped coffee table. Laptop went to sleep, and 30 minutes or so later I switched it back on. Blue light and whirring noise, then unable ever to connect the Transcend again. Switched to other Windows laptops, a Mac, a PC at work. Same thing, Blue light, whirring, NOTHING! If this is "Military Grade Shock Resistance" whatever military uses these devices is in DEEP trouble. Returned to amazon for a refund - I'm sticking to Western Digital.
on 27 November 2012
This is my second 1TB external hard drive and I have found it very light and handy. It was easy to connect to my MacBook and download the pictures. Compared to my previous external HD which was bulky, heavy and needed its own power supply, this one is USB based HD, I love it.