5.0 out of 5 stars For those who don't like following recipes
I have one criticism: at the end of the book, the author claims the bread can last up to 3 weeks; we have never managed more than 2 days!
Published on 10 Feb 2012 by E.Tam

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I didnt pay much!
The 'book' is a basic article that can be found anywhere FREE on the internet. Not one recipe in sight and nothing I didn't already know...very disappointing!
Published 7 months ago by Shauna Carter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who don't like following recipes, 10 Feb 2012
I like cooking, but I do not like following "exact" (or any) recipes - and so I had never made bread before. But as the bread from shops around here is so poor, and gives most of the family eczema, I decided to go for it, following this book which I'd actually bought some time ago.
I like it. Others have criticized it because it is short, or because it only gives one variation. Perhaps, but that's all I need, as long as it's good. And it is - my children devoured even the couple of unleavened efforts at the beginning!
I did find that my starter didn't work out, before I used organic bought starter a couple of times - but now I just use the starter from the last loaves (without any added starter-yeast).
I have developed a variation on the cooking - to please my tastes. I cover the baking-tin or put the dough in a Pyrex dish with cover - which I remove 10 minutes from the end. I find, by keeping the humidity in, that the crust particularly is less thick and less dry, that way - and the loaf looks "shinier" (It is important to take off the cover at the end, or else the crust becomes soggy).
I'm still playing with different varieties of flour, will probably try a little Rye. Overall, the book is yes, short, yes, simple - and yes, we get excellent bread out of it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Simple Sourdough: Make Your Own Starter Without Store-Bought Yeast and Bake the Best Bread in the World With This Simplest of Recipes for Making Sourdough (or Sour Dough) (Kindle Edition)
Makes the black art of sourdough bread easy and understandable. the methods are foolproof - try it, we did and it is superior to shop bought loaves

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I didnt pay much!, 26 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars As an introduction, 21 Sep 2013
As a nearly free intro to sourdough baking this is as good as it needs to be! Buy it - you can't lose!

1.0 out of 5 stars pretty useless, 9 Oct 2011
A waste of time buying this; seriously, you need to research a little more than this 'booklet' which is all it is. There are far better books on artisan/sourdough bread baking out there. The most import ingredient in sourdough baking is the 'starter' ...this booklet does nothing to assist the reader in creating and nurturing that elusive culture.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, 7 Jan 2014
The book is too simply and not much informative. Instructions are simple but lack detail I had to dig internet to find out more about starting the culture because it is the most important step towards making good loaf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 13 Dec 2013
Rosemary Muntus (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very short book but it tells you all you need to know to make sourdough. Still I am not going to make bread in the quantities suggested. I have my own sourdough starter but I think I might need to make bread using Mark's method.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Nov 2013
Without any thrills you can bake wonderful bread and it is nothing wat you have tasted before . And wonderful to have it on your kindle easy to take to the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 5 Oct 2013
I found this book very interesting and enjoyable, I will read more from this author. Thank you for writing and publishing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too basic and vague, 11 Feb 2014
I had high hopes for this book, but it was a real disappointment. It's vague, basic and lacks any detail.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›