5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC BOOK AND A MUST READ!, 2 Nov 2012
Review 6******

I was given a copy of this book by the author in return for an honest review.

This has got to be the quirkiest sci-fi/fantasy adventure I have read in a long time, if ever! I absolutely LOVED it!

Alex Hobbs is a fantastic character! He is one of the good guys. I found him to be extremely levelheaded, even when the situations he faces would be enough to leave me in a mess! Although, I think he was only holding on to his sanity by a thread at one point! Unfortunately, he has found himself in a bit of a predicament. Everything that can go wrong, does so in spectacular style! When a job opportunity comes up, little does he know what he's letting himself in for!

Serene Necrosia is a wonderful character! To me, she is a cross between a mad scientist/inventor and Morticia from The Addams Family. She has a brilliant mind, but her experiments have a nasty habit of biting back!

There are some other very colourful characters in this book. Quasimoody (AKA Moody) is a hunchback and indentured to Serene. Then there is Josiah, the Werewolf and Marco, Serene's ex-husband, and not to forget Dante, Serene's pet tarantula. The list goes on! This book is full of wit and sarcasm, not to mention the gross bits that made me go "Eww!"! I absolutely loved the repartee between Moody and Alex. They have my utmost respect for putting up with Serene and her crackpot ideas!

When I first read the blurb, I burst out laughing! I decided there and then that I just HAD to read it! Holand Peterson has a vivid imagination, and it shows in his writing. This book captured me from the first page, and has left me wanting more! I'm not sure what age range this book is aimed at, but I would highly recommend it to the older YA reader (15+), as well as adults who have a twisted sense of humour. I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series. - Lynn Worton

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A HOOT?, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Eville (Kindle Edition)
This was an excellent read, from start to finish you cannot predict what will happen next. The charictors, are amazing, you definatly start routing for them, and by the end of this book, you cannot wait to see what is on the horizon for them all. Being Serina, the beautiful mad scientist, Moody, the hunchback ,housekeeper and all rounder, Marco, one of Serina's husbands, Dante, Serina's pet and Alex Hobbs. .assistant to Serina! This will keep you amused and engaged until you finish it. I will be reading the next installements. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Eville, 13 Mar 2013
Miss King (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eville (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, it was funny with a great story. Alex, a normal guy, ends up with the most unusual job in the very strange town of Eville. Where many of the supernatural things most people don't think are real, live. With Serene, his new boss who is a mad scientist, and Moody, the hunchback, Alex finds his new surroundings very strange indeed.
I enjoyed this book a lot and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys comedy-fantasy or fantasy-comedy novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun read, 17 Aug 2012
Barbara Taylor (Wirral, Merseyside, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eville (Kindle Edition)
I read this book three weeks ago, and am eargerly looking forward to reading its sequal. It is fantasy, horror with a touch of sci-fi and all done with a great sense of fun behind it all. Like a House of Hammer horror movie mixed with Terry Pratchett's humerous look at modern ideologies. Picture being offered the perfect job after hitting an all time low in your life, only to find it involves working with a mad scientist who wants to make a difference in the world, and who's adoring deceased husband continues to share her life as a brain in a fish tank. Add to this a foul smelling dwarf who is a gourmet cook and you have a perfect recipee for mahyem and maddness that is a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct 2014