5.0 out of 5 stars 'Welcome 2 My Nightmare', I think you're gonna like it., 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Deluxe Digi Pack) (Audio CD)
There is a magic when Alice Cooper and his George Martin; that other legendary record producer Bob Ezrin, get together and create.
That magic is in plentiful supply on this sequel to their 1975 work of art.
This one is as instantly addictive as a Hammer House of Horror and will keep you awake, as there isn't a bad song on the album.

The variety and quality that the Coop served up on the albums of his 1970's heyday has returned to the menu, just as rock n' roll got too homogenized.
The genius of this record saves the music industry from the endless mundane rock releases of this century, quite simply this is the best work Alice has recorded since the sounds of the seventies when he was King.

From the haunting piano references to 'Steven' woven into a tapestry of a new nightmare, 'I Am Made Of You' sets the scene, sounding fresh and current with auto tune used for effect, but unlike Cher's 'Believe' this is also old school and believeable, as original Nightmare gunslinger Steve Hunter plays a guitar solo like there is no tomorrow.

'Caffeine' has more hooks than AC/DC and as 'The Nightmare Returns', 'A Runaway Train' takes the senses for a ride as the co written Dennis Dunaway offering sees him, Neal Smith and Michael Bruce reunited on record with the man who took the name of the greatest American band of the early seventies.
The chemistry is there for all to hear on the other two classics they all play on; the Smith co written 'I'll Bite Your Face Off' which could make it onto a Stones album and the disturbing nightmare of abuse, 'When Hell Comes Home', the Bruce contribution that reminds us what a great tunesmith he is.

'Last Man On Earth' emphasises that Alice is not afraid to throw a curve ball as he has done in the past, with the likes of 'Some Folks' and 'Crazy Little Child' and there is also a Jim Morrison feel to this one.

'Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever' and 'Ghouls Gone Wild' add that Alice Cooper light hearted yet twisted sense of humour in some sort of Disco Nightmare, but brilliant all the same.
There is even a tip of the hat to the King of Pop himself with the strong musical reference to 'Beat It', the Ke$ha collaboration on 'What Baby Wants', but Jackson went to Vincent Price after Alice, so it's pay back when this is surely released as a hit single?

The King of Shock Rock still delivers a ballad that only he and other original Nightmare guitar hero Dick Wagner could have come up with, 'Something To Remember Me By' was around years ago, but is now the 'Only Women Bleed' and 'I Never Cry' of this decade.

'The Underture' is the perfect ending to a great album, an orchesteral tour de force of both Nightmares, that sees both Hunter and Wagner on guitar on an Alice Cooper record again.

A great piece of work mixing old and new and bringing to the fore the emerging talent of Tommy Henriksen, a major contributor to the album.

Alice Cooper Welcome 2 My Nightmare, how are you gonna follow this?

Steven Crayn September 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Return Of The Nightmare, 16 Sep 2011
S. Thomas "ski3n" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Deluxe Digi Pack) (Audio CD)
just played the cd and it's a great cd with some of the music taking me back to earlier AC albums which i grew up listening too which is pretty cool. Great also to see Bob Ezrin & Steve Hunter again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a Night Mare as a Bad Dream!, 18 Dec 2011
This review is from: Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Deluxe Digi Pack) (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, not a bad CD but the first one was better,this seems a bit tame, grows on you as you play it...still glad I brought it!

4.0 out of 5 stars welcome 2 my review, 6 Oct 2011
A. Thirsk (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Deluxe Digi Pack) (Audio CD)
I thought this was a bad idea, revisiting the past format of 'welcome to my nightmare' and I was correct to have reservations. It does tend to suffer from the usual Ezrin style of over interferrence in the music. Note how Ezrin gets writing credits on everything. He just can't leave it alone.
The album starts fine with an excellant opening piece in 'I am made of you'. A smattering of Steven but the song is very strong in itself. Then we have another excellant rocker in 'caffeine', typical Alice humour as he try's to stay awake to prevent the nightmares.
The next track is really just filler and is probably not required but can be forgiven.
'A runaway train' is another good song but slightly ruined by the fact that it's really a re-working of Dennis Dunaways 'Subway' from his album 'bones from the yard'(now that is a 5 star album). So I was disappointed slightly.
'Last man on Earth' is brilliant. I could imagine Tom Waits doing this. This albums musical equivalent to 'some folks'. I like 'congregation' but truth be told it's 'Give the kid a break'. Part of the problem with follow up albums is you end up re-visiting old themes. If this was a vinyl album I would make this the end of side one. The next offering is from the giant drummer himself, Neal Smith, and is a steady rocker if somewhat repulsive, 'I'll bit your face off', however we are supposed to be in hell at this point.
It's all going well up until now but then we are thrown not one but two terrible songs.
'Disco bloodbath boogie fever', I can see Sparks doing this for fun but not Alice. It is so the wrong song. If he does this live he is in danger of becoming a laughing stock. Unfortunately, the next track,'Ghouls gone wild', is even worse. It's like one of those Halloween novelty records you get from one of those ghoulishly named bands who are never heard from again. This is a serious error of judgement Mr.Ezrin.
'something to remember me by' is a pleasant enough ballad and helps to get the album back on track. It is also the only song Ezrin hasn't tampered with, obviously he trusts Dick Wagner to pen something suitable. The Michael Bruce offering,'When hell comes home' is the best song on the album. A great heavy blues riff with Michael playing the piano in a low key and nullifying Ezrins showbiz yearnings. A truly great song that stands apart from the rest. Echos of the original band here where the nightmares take place in the real world and not some fantasy gothic horror.
'What baby wants' is ok but could be Alice vs. The Sugarbabes. Also it sort of just covers the same ground as the better 'I'll bite your face off'. Interesting guitar on 'I gotta get out of here', sounds very Mellencamp. I like it and with the ending once more showing echoes of 'give the kid a break'. I would have stopped the album here but no. Ezrin goes on to make the great foo pah he did on School's Out. So as a Grande Finale we get 'the underture', a musical medley of tunes from the original album with full orchestral backing. It's awful.
To summarise: Too much Ezrin, not enough Alice. Also half the album seems to be getting to hell but after that not a lot happens.
Lets get Alice into the studio with Bruce,Dunaway,Smith and Hunter. Then we might get that great rock n roll album.

4.0 out of 5 stars The dreaded sequel : literally!, 14 Sep 2011
U Dick "heavy-duty" (Stevenston, Ayrshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Deluxe Digi Pack) (Audio CD)
Well, Alice is the latest artist to go down the sequel route. Like any sequel it's nowhere near as good as the first, the original "...nightmare" is an all time American classic that he has never bettered. Now that we've got that out of the way we can review what's here. Under any other title this is a great Alice Cooper album. Definetly a lot better than his last, "Along came a spider". There are plenty of catchy tunes like "Ghouls gone wild" and "Disco bloodbath boogie fever", excellent ballads like the opener (!) "I am made of you" and "Something to remember me by" and old school fans will be thrilled by "The Underture". The only thing I don't like is Ke$ha's annoying voice on "What baby wants". Unfortunately the cover is horrible as well, but musically it's highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best part 2 ever, 20 Sep 2011
This review is from: Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Deluxe Digi Pack) (Audio CD)
Usually I play the cd then I write whatever I remember that made this cd one of my fav cds this goes to any album that I get but not this album this is very special cd it's an experience a new lesson to the new up and coming bands

I am made of you
its differ from what any alice fan might expect the vocals are not the same not the trade mark vocals that I loved since the early 90s still this is the best approach in my opinion the song so emotional and hard hitting I give this song 5/5 specially that the guitar work is out of this world, I can't just play this song and move to the next I have to replay it \m/

caffeine
this is the 1st song with exactly the trade mark vocals in the classic style this is another 5/5 it's a rockin' n cute track \m/

the nightmare returns
3/5 this is what I have expected its not to bring this tune down it's just that in my opinion my fav artists should always exceed my expectations its more an intro

A runways train
Classis in the making 5/5 this one takes me back to the early 70s albums and the early 2000s garage albums - long live alice \m/

Last man on earth
What makes alice the guy he is - his ability to rock and make a classic out of every tune his singing this is more a folk song in a rockin' approached nothing like the original alice cooper band to make rock n roll songs \m/ before I forget this is 5/5 song

The congregation
Ill bite your face off
Don't get me wrong just cause I don't think these 2 songs are 5/5 songs it doesn't make them any less, I gave these songs 4/5 cause they are rockin' songs a true alice songs but it they don't add to the classic feel of the album, the guitar playing really top notch

Disco bloodbath boogie fever

Ghouls gone wild
' 5/5 words can't explain \m/ it shifts between many genres this is what makes this song special - I had to repeat the above '

Something to remember me by
A truly slow rocker 5/5 since you and I - I have never been touched by a song like this one

When hell comes home
It really works it's a scary song - this is how you should listen to this song step by step 1. Play the song loud 2. Stop whatever your doing 3. Listen don't just hear the song 4. By now your living the song \m/ 5/5

What baby wants
This is what makes alice special he shifts between modes and styles but always true to the rock n roll gift that made him the king of hard since the late 60s 5/5 this song goes shoulder to shoulder with the song alice done for slash solo album last year

I gotta get out of here