Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 23 August 2009
this cd is the best poetry disc ihave ever had the pleasure to listen to. richard burton reading the ancient mariner gave me goose pimples and had my hair standing on end.a really pleasurable listen.
on 3 April 2013
As you would expect, great intonation and perfect diction. I was particularly moved by the Robert Donat section at the end; it is a very intimate moment towards the end of his life and a reflection of what a great actor he was.
on 20 January 2010
Delightful selection of poetry read by familiar voices. I find it lovely to listen to in bed when sleep is not coming, and the CD switches itself off should I eventually fall asleep.
on 6 March 2010
I love poetry and sat listening avidly to poems I had not heard or read for many years. I would recomment this for all poetry lovers.
on 18 August 2011
This CD is indeed very good company for a quiet evening, with the selection of poems read by lovely, impressing voices.
on 17 November 2013
This was for a relative whose sight is diminishing. He loved reading but this is now virtually impossible. As he loves poetry this has made a lot of difference to his life.
on 10 June 2012
I was delighted to locate a CD which included Burton's "Ancient Mariner". His highly individualistic delivery is perhaps too overpowering to share with the likes of Gielgud and Ashcroft, each of whom acquitted themselves superbly. I was less impressed by Anthony Quayle's John Donne. He was never the subtlest of actors and should not have bawled the sun out as if it was late on parade. Perhaps he should have listened to the Cecil Trouncer version which would have been available at the time of this recording. Nor was I impressed by Christopher Hassall's handling of "Westminster Bridge", which he seemed to patronise, as if to say "Here we go again with this dear old favourite". Surely a poem should be read, and heard, as if for the first time. My view here is that the whole thing was thrown together without much forethought. Not a CD I shall often return to
on 29 November 2009
Easy way to enjoy favourite poems with favourite music as a backing read by appropriate readers. the ultimate way to relax.
on 15 May 2014
Yes looking at the names decided metro buy this C D but what a disappointment. It was like listening to a continuous dirge. I heard it once bad never again.
on 4 May 2014
This is a great selection of poems half remembered , familiar like old friends revisited. The voices matched the words to complete the effect/