on 8 October 2013
I should have been put off by the title and my comments are based on a reading of only about 40 or 50 of the poems. Reading other reviews, I see that poems have provided support and succour to those in times of difficulty, so in a way I feel bad about criticising the anthology, but for me too many of the poems are over-sentimental and cloying. You win some, you lose some .............
on 9 August 2012
Poems That Will Save Your Life There are some treasures in this collection, which I find myself turning to whenever a low mood strikes. It's easy to find a quick morale boost by flicking through the sections (inspiration, encouragement, strength etc.). For instance, the poem I dipped into this morning contained the lines:

In giving the world your very best
Its best will return to you. Y.U.
on 17 January 2013
Nice work. Comforting in difficult times and a companion when rejoicing in the goods things that this amazing life has to offer. Kudos.
on 10 August 2013
Bought to help someone suffering from cancer. It was appreciated. It contained helpful poetry, artisan in style, probably not suitable for a dedicated poetry enthusiast.
on 20 May 2013
I am not a poetry buff, and find it hard to understand and enjoy poetry. However, i was interested in what this book might offer, so I wernt ahead and purchased. It has such lovely inspirational verse, which i find uplifting, and I find them easy to understand. this is a lovely 'comforting' book that i often turn to when I feel down, or if I want something reflect on.
on 3 February 2013
A 'dip in / out' read depending how much or little time you have. Recommended for those who like a little beauty and contemplation in the busy 21st centuary. will be keeping on my Kindle for future return to reading and when I need a little 'time out' from the rat race.
Recommended for all poetry lovers who sometimes may find they haven't a lot of time on their hands but need to reconnect to their literary souls.
on 28 November 2013
A wonderful collection of a fantastic variety of poems. A true gem of a book to keep and refer to anytime. A great companion of a book.
on 30 May 2014
A good idea, nicely presented, obviously aimed at those who wouldn't normally turn to poetry. But oh dear! The last two verses of Edmund Waller's lovely poem on old age, "Of the Last Verses in the Book", are misattributed to Ernest Dowson, under the title "Old Age". Unforgivable -- I read no further.
on 30 December 2015
There are good poems in here, but in reading the whole collection I was driven by perseverance rather than enjoyment.

Personally I found 'Poems for Funerals' (which I read recently) to be more inspiring.

It came very close to a 2 star review but to be fair, I'm sure there are poems here that will offer comfort; they just aren't to my taste.

I could not search by poem or author, which adds to the effort needed to read the book, and makes it difficult to browse.
on 12 May 2016
you remember assembly at school when 50 years later you still recall most of the hymns that you sang, well this book
is similar, it brings back long forgotten poems and rolls back the years and it is good for keeping the memory sharp, a great
comfort.