‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic start to a new series, 15 Jun 2011
Caroline Lawrence is extremely well known for writing The Roman Mysteries which has helped lots of children embrace the Romans and find a love of history at the same time. Caroline has now embarked on a new journey and has presented us with the first book in The Western Mysteries series, which takes us back to the Wild West of America, Virginia City in 1862 to be precise.

Up until reading this book, my only real knowledge of the Wild West was through the last film in the Back to the Future trilogy. So I was extremely pleased to be given so much more information about that time period within this book. Caroline Lawrence has obviously researched the Wild West meticulously as the attention to detail is unbelievable. Caroline Lawrence knows what she is talking about. I felt like I had stepped instantly back into Virginia City, right into the middle of a gun fight. I could almost hear the gun shots from the Double Deringer.

The narrator for the story is P.K. Pinkerton. Don't ask me whether the character was a boy or girl, because quite frankly I am not quite sure. The author twisted the plot backwards and forwards with this mystery leaving me confused (on purpose I believe) as to the sex of the narrator. I think it is a boy, so I will call him that for now, but who knows. All I do know is the narrator was 12 years old, was half Indian and half America and that his mother had died, leaving him with a set of foster parents. He is also a very brave child to come up against such deadly character so fearlessly as he does.

I am certain that P.K. Pinkerton is slightly autistic, by his inability to decipher people's emotions and his quickness with numbers. However, the author never makes that public knowledge, so I could be wrong. Although in that era, they wouldn't have have had a medical term for the condition. The book begins with Pinkerton's 12th birthday, where he arrives home to find his foster parents dying, after being brutally attacked by Whittlin Walt, a rather nasty character who appeared on Wanted posters around the town. He is desperate for an item that he believes P.K. to own and will stop at nothing to get it. P.K. quickly leaves his home in search of a safer haven in Virginia City. However he will not be going alone, as Whittlin Walt is quickly on his trail. He will kill P.K to get what he wants.

You have to feel sorry for P.K. as his dangerous journey, the constant hiding and his attempts at double crossing Whittlin Walt, leave you feeling breathless. There is no time for him to stop and rest. Every time he thinks he has done the right thing, someone comes along and double crosses him, creating a fast paced thrilling ride.

I was extremely excited to see Sam Clemens hiding amongst the pages. Sam Clemens was better known by his pen name of Mark Twain, and appears within the story as a reporter, which he actually was before he became a writer and provided us with such characters as Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. He is brilliant portrayed within the story and it felt like I had found my own golden nugget whilst reading the book.

This book is extremely detailed and keeps you on your toes the whole way through. The chapters are short, sharp and each one is finished off with an excellent cliff hanger. All the characters come alive, each one solid and easy to remember, with their own back story being provided in snippets here and there. There is even a glossary at the back to help you grasp the Western language used within the book. Caroline Lawrence is leading the way in Western fiction while everyone else is left trailing behind. This book has quenched my first for Western fiction and I look forward to the next installment in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wild West, 4 Jun 2011
Fahad (Victorian London) - See all my reviews
This is the book that we have all be waiting for a great western book set in Virgina city gives everything ,the hot sun, the dust and the selfish characters.Virgina city is a harsh town where everyone has a gun "You look conspicuous without one"and no one does anything out of Christian kindness(If you'll pardon my French.)Caroline incorporates real characters into the story flawlessly and brings them back to life.In the book the prospect of death is very real and around every corner someone could point a gun at you.It is set in the time of the silver rush and shows who has power in such a barren place.This is a book for all ages and can be enjoyed alone or in a group.The book is more than a well written story it is a peace of art that has been beautifully illustrated by Caroline's husband it is a book to be treasured.At such a good price you would have to be dehydrated not to buy it as this is as possibly as good as the price will get.This is a book to be enjoyed again and again and it written on high quality paper it is more than just a book it is a work of art.Hats off to Caroline Lawrence!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Roman Mysteries, 9 Jan 2012
A super book to curl up with your nine year old and read out loud. Great characters and an exciting, fast paced mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Case of the Deadly Desperados Review, 29 Mar 2012
S. J. As tle "J Astle" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
It's a brilliant and fantastic book. It's action-packed and you just don't know what is coming next. This book will take you on a cowboy adventure with Pinky as the guide, a guide with a BIG Achilles heel (or thorn as he calls it). He'll a meet friend, or is she a foe; two guys looking for a 'scoop' and Jace, a man who helps P.K. recover his thorn. P.K. is a double orphan, dead birth parents and dead foster parents. As his foster ma's dying wish, he runs away being chased by his foster parent's murderer as he carries a fortune every man wants.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, 23 Mar 2012
I loved this book and I liked the when P.K dressed up as a girl. LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope to get the next of the western mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars the case of the deadly desperados, 14 Mar 2012
My daughter is fifteen and this is what she had to say.

I love this book its fast paced and full of excitement, i absolutely love Pinky, its such a brilliant adventure book i couldn't put it down.
I would defiantly recommend this book to my friends.
My favourite scene was when Pinky was hiding underneath belle donne dress.
I loved the way she described the strong smell of the rum hair tonic.
and i really enjoyed your roman mysteries that's what got me into writing my own stories and hoping to become an author one day.
Thanks Caroline for a great book can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The must-read book of 2012!, 11 Feb 2012
My daughters absolutely loved Caroline's Roman Mysteries books so we're super excited about the Western Mysteries! This first book about P. K. Pinkerton is a fast-paced roller-coaster ride of a story that will have you gripped from the very first sentence right through to the very last word. It's story-telling at its best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Moving and Funny !, 6 Dec 2011
This is superb writing for kids: fast paced, action packed, not to mention one of the most fascinating periods in history to read about - the American West. I love the fact that the hero is half Indian, too. The writing is detailed and exciting and I suspect, knowing the author's Roman Mysteries series, historically accurate too. I don't remember seeing 'China Town' in all those old black and white westerns I used to watch, but here we get a sense of what it may really have been like. I also love the description of characters, like the 'soiled doves' - all instantly recognizable from those old cowboy films. P.K Pinkerton is funny and cool, getting himself in all kinds of trouble as he sets out on his adventure, and we see a speck of ourselves in his cute naivety as he works out the trials and troubles of life and weaves his way through the maze of situations and characters. There are many of life's lessons to be learned here, especially about judging and misjudging people, and things like the value of generosity over greed. Like those old fairytales, this story will, in a fun way, show kids that even the greatest obstacles can be overcome, and you don't have to be a superhero to succeed either, just a bit of faith, friendliness, and good ol' fashioned bravery! The story is fast and exciting. It twists and turns brilliantly and you're kept guessing until the very end. It's hilarious in places and touching too. I was emotionally moved at the end, tears in my eyes and everything. A really fantastic story. I love this book and P.K. Pinkerton. Thanks Caroline. More more more!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Case of the Deadly Desperados - Brilliant, 26 Sep 2011
This was a brilliant book, it had my son totally hooked from page one. He had met the author at a book convention and she had talked about this particular book, he now wants to read more of her novels. He would certainly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Western Mysteries - definitely 'wanted'!, 15 Aug 2011
Susan Purkiss "Sue Purkiss" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a terrific start to a new series - very fresh, very different. Pinky, the lead character, is a twelve year old boy who, at the beginning of the book, finds that his beloved foster parents have been slain and scalped by the 'Deadly Desperadoes' of the title - and unless he can somehow manage to outwit them, he's next. So much happens, and it's so inventive; you feel absolutely immersed in the atmosphere of the Wild West - which seems to have been pretty much absent from fiction for a good many years now. There's a wide variety of richly imagined characters, but Pinky himself is special: he can't 'read' expressions, and doesn't know how to show feelings either - the author sets herself a challenge with such a narrator, but she triumphantly meets it. Fantastic fun!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›