on 12 April 2012
We thought our analogue portable telly was destined for the dustbin until a friend offered her freeview box which I set up but the next day wouldn't work so I resorted to Amazon to see what was on offer and found this ideal 'tiny' box of tricks. Quickly delivered without paying extra. Extremely easy to set up and our old telly has a new purpose in life and it gives us loads more channels to watch - so the kids are happy, CBeebies, CBBC and CITV included.
0Comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2012
Just thought I would add this as one customer said it "kept going into standby" and this makes people think there is a problem. There isn't.

The solution is on page 71 of the User Guide. When you set up the "auto-standby" setting will be "on" and so will default to satndby after 3 hours. You just need to turn this setting to "off" by using the remote control:

Menu - Configuration - System parameters - Auto-standby settings

all works fine
22 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2012
I am an 72 years old and had no problem in setting up this set top box. I would recommend it as a moderately priced box. As usual Amazon delivered a thoroughly satisfactory service.
on 13 December 2011
I was a bit wary at first as i have only got a loft ariel but as soon as i connected up everything was so easy to set up and the picture is perfect,I only had 5 channels now i have got the pick of 112.It also comes with a RF lead which you have to supply with other freeview boxes
on 7 March 2012
Seems a very good product for the price, with a nice strong signal even from a loft aerial, and it's certainly very easy to set up. Could be five stars apart from the point below about RF.

Be aware that, despite what you may think from the technical description (RF output - lead supplied), this box does not have the RF modulator that is required to connect to an older TV set with no scart connection. You can only get a signal from this box to your TV through a scart socket (no scart leads supplied!). If your TV has no scart socket you will need a scart to RF modulator. Or there is a work around by routing the scart cable from the freeview box to a video recorder's scart input and then connecting an RF coax from that video recorder to the TV and tuning a TV channel to that output. See [...]

And by the way: it's only £24.99 at Currys / PC World!
55 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 June 2012
The product is fine It arrived on time and the packaging was satisfactory Very easy to install I would recommend this product
on 10 December 2012
Easy to set up, hence the favourable ratings, I suspect. Unfortunately only worked for 2 days, then repeatedly froze and had to be "rebooted" each time in order to restore normal functionality. Subsequently speaking to retailers about it- feedback was that it was "rubbish" and that I would have been lucky if it lasted 3 months anyhow. I can only conclude that it is not fit for purpose and am searching for something more reliable. Very disappointing- Amazon should discontinue this product in my opinion. Avoid at all costs- money and time wasted. The remote control is so cheap and nasty it has to be seen to be believed- like a child's toy with such small buttons you need a toddler sized hand to work it. Quality so lamentable only a squeak away from a dog toy. Actually, go for a dog toy instead, you will have more lasting entertainment from it than this product.
55 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2012
There were a couple of Goodmans set-top boxes on offer, but this one seems to meet the requirements. It is easy to set up and use. It can be used with a SCART connected VHS Recorder or DVD recorder using the second SCART socket (but, only if you really want to go to all that trouble!). The eight day EPG and reminder setting makes this possible.

The important feature for me is that it works well, but uses less than 1 Watt in standby, meaning that I can leave it powered up. The television is another matter and burns too much power in standby. That gets switched off between viewing sessions.

For £25 it is perfect.

There is just one other feature I did investigate and that is to be able to record to an external USB connected hard drive. That pushed the prices up to around £60 and I already own two full PVRs.

If you just want to give your old TV a new lease of life with Freeview, this seems like a good choice.
on 15 July 2012
My Ferguson TV is over ten years old and I was reluctant to update as the picture is excellent. Finally decided to upgrade the Freeview box instead and after some time spent reading all of the reviews,opted for the Goodman.

It arrived before the date given and when I opened the package was surprised as to how small it was, just over half the size of the old one.

Proceeded to unpack, read the instructions and installed. Took me roughly ten minutes and I'm not technically minded.

The instructions were clear and concise and even the remote control is the perfect size with easy to read buttons. The TV was soon up and running. Everything is user friendly which isn't always the case.

I would highly recommend this product.
on 16 March 2012
A very small Freeview set top box with a glossy black finish. Connection and set-up was straightforward. The EPG is easy to follow, with clear print (white on blue). Once subtitles are chosen, they will appear, provided the programme has subtitles, every time the box is used. A basic, no frills product which works.
77 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse