5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant wireless printer
Published on 22 Jan 2012 by Pilgrim

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor wireless performance
Nice looking printer with a small footprint.

The paper handling is good, duplex is brilliant and print quality good, if a little light.

It works well on ethernet and usb, quick and responsive.

But on WiFi it is appalling!

Published on 31 May 2012 by J. Skaife

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant wireless printer, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Samsung ML-2955DW Mono Laser Printer (Network Connectivity, Duplex) (Office Product)
I needed a new printer as my old one (Brother HL1250) had given up the ghost with a strong smell of burning plastic. I did my research and decided that the Samsung ML2955DW met all the requirements, don't need colour, waste of money as 98% of my work is mono. Cheapest I could find was Datanet Communications 120.00 inc. vat free delivery!! Ordered it at 11 o'clock, arrived 10 o'clock next day. Fantastic service. All leads supplied Uk and European. Read the instructions and set it up in 20 minutes. Set up the wireless as well well which is weird as my desktop isn't wireless. You have to connect the computer to the printer with a USB lead, run through the set up process and then disconnect the USB lead! I did the same with my wife's Laptop and it works first time. Print quality is excellent and it has an eco button to save paper and toner. I have only had it a couple of days but have no problem recommending it as a first class printer. The paper tray pulls out and is then pushed back in and is hidden but with A4 this sticks out slightly at the back. This is not a problem as the the power plug sticks out at the back as well. All in all very good value for money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor wireless performance, 31 May 2012
J. Skaife - See all my reviews
Nice looking printer with a small footprint.

It works well on ethernet and usb, quick and responsive.

But on WiFi it is appalling!

We have 8 other devices dotted around the house operating off the same router - all work perfectly. This printer though keeps dropping the connection and can't print even 6 pages from a PDF document during the brief uptime periods between connection re-establishment. Distance from the router made no difference, even just 1m away it is the same story.

This is a nice, well-priced network printer but if you want something to connect over WiFi, don't buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 27 Nov 2011
Nina (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a Mac user and I bought this double-sided-capable printer about 2 weeks ago.

Pros:

1.Can adjust different size of papers when putting papers into the tray.
2.The printing speed is fast enough.
3.Not that noisy. (Quieter than the old Samsung Printer I previously owned)
4.Wireless networking works well

Cons:

A bit expensive but worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Printer, Poor Software, 15 Mar 2013
Trust me, despite what follows this is a good quality printer. I'm an accountant (yes, I know, I've already heard it) and I needed a mono laser printer for home use as I'm self employed. I don't need a huge, all bells and whistles printer, just something nice and simple for generating hard copy files. And, by and large, this is what this printer does. Good quality printing and relative cheap to buy and to run. Wireless setup was nice and easy and took less than 30 minutes and worked first time. Looking at some of the other reviews here, I may have been lucky of course. Print quality was better than I expected and more than adequate for my needs.

However. The problem arose a couple of days after setup. For background purposes, I use Excel 2010 a great deal and I needed to print files for four near identical companies with Excel files brought forward from last year. I printed three of these files with no issues whatsoever. The fourth was not so easy. For some reason which I still cannot identify, the Excel spreadsheet could not be printed properly. I don't use the printer in Eco mode as the output is too small for others to read. However, the printer preferences all reverted to Eco mode without being edited by myself. I reset them to the settings I wanted but the output was still Eco mode - two pages to a side and double sided. After wasting over two hours investigating and at a time when I have deadlines to meet, I found the problem. The page setup in Excel had been changed to portrait from landscape for certain sheets. Also, if I go into the printer preferences via Excel, they are all set up as Eco mode. This is extremely annoying as I haven't done this - I can only assume that this has been done by the Samsung printer drivers. The end result is that I now need to go through over 30 tabs on the Excel spreadsheet and change the Eco mode defaults and page layout. Time consuming and extremely annoying. If it happens again, I will be returning the printer.

So, as the heading says, good product, poor software.

Amendment to original review
Since I noted the above issue, I've started to have wireless network issues. The problem seems to arise if I don't use the printer for several hours. If it has been dormant it refuses to print even though, on the face of it, it has a wireless connection to my PC. This is extremely annoying and there doesn't seem to be a solution. Samsung's website is next to useless and the only help option seems to be to call their helpline at 1.70 a minute. This is not happening. So, my review is down from 3 stars to 2. And it only gets 2 stars because of the quality of the print during its intermittent productive spells.

Further amendment to original review
I probably shouldn't amend this review whilst in a bad mood but....

I've spent 45 minutes this morning trying to get it to print wirelessly with no success at all. And then, having decided to dig out my old inkjet, it printed without warning. I've done a calculation as to how much this printer has cost me in wasted time and it is over 3 times the original cost of the printer. So, although it pains me to give up, I will be buying another printer and it won't be a Samsung. And I'm reducing the rating to 1 star. Samsung UK support is almost non existent so I've used email support via their US presence with no success despite their Tech's best efforts - he can't be faulted.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works with my Samsung Galaxy Tab10.1, 12 Mar 2012
DMG "DMG" (Somerset England) - See all my reviews
I had an HP Laserjet that had just died of old age. I have a home wireless network and need a printer to not only work with my 6 core desktop, 4 core laptop, 1 core laptop but also with my new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I hesitated in buying this printer after reading the poor review by someone who had problems in installing it.

I am now glad I ignored his review. I found the installation very easy and quick. Within an hour from it arriving, it was unpacked, removed all the factory sticky tape, read the installation booklet, started the installation CD it was installed and printing from all networked computers and the tablet. It did what was on the tin!.

I would have given it 5 stars. The only thing that let it down from 5 to 4 stars was the power cable supplied was fitted with a European round two pin mains plug. It would have been an unnecessary hassle of cutting off the 2 pin plug and have to fit a proper UK plug. Fortunately the mains lead from my dead HP printer fitted.

Other than the mains lead issue, I am very pleased with this printer especially that I can place the printer anywhere within wireless range of my router. Magic. Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but..., 24 July 2012
It works, it's cheap and quiet. Only problem was connecting it to a network including Win7 and XP machines. I downloaded the Samsung Generic printer driver and it worked fine. Documentation not terrifically helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Printer & excellent Amazon Service, 13 Mar 2012
Have just bought this printer and had no trouble installing it on my three computers. It came with a Contintental plug, but when I told Amazon they told me to buy an adapter and they would pay. When I told them the cost it was refunded to me almost immediately and I am very impressed. I have had one problem yet to resolve, I cannot set the printer preferences on my mini Netbook as the screen is not big enough to display all the data, but am working on that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb duplexing wireless printer, 9 May 2013
Excellent printer with duplexing and eco toner functions.
Works remarkably well, accessible from all over the house through our wireless router and at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and works well, 9 Mar 2013
A great printer with no need for wires, my husband uses it also and his computer is upstairs at the other end of the house a long way from the machine which is in my study and it works perfectly well remotely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 26 Feb 2013
Gives good quality with reliable wifi operation and duplex printing. Quite noisy operation but fast. Works well with iPad but not the most intuitive to set up and requires App. Not sure how long the cartridge will last as yet.
Would recommend to anyone requiring fast non-colour printing.