Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 27 September 2014
I'm a big Len Deighton fan and I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time in Los Angeles so this novel merged two of my key interests. The Geography is bang on, It's fun and I think it really works. A lot of reviewers say it reads like a series of vinaigrettes.
I'm not sure why that is a bad thing? I don't think the author intended it as a direct follow up to Bomber! For me a series of seemingly random events and non linear plot connected by a sardonic unreliable 1st person narrator out of their depth is what Deighton is all about.
Admittedly I prefer it when the narrator is a anonymous northern former grammar school boy polishing his spectacles.
on 22 May 2011
Good dry, black humour. Why isn't this a film already?
Len at his non-espionage best.
I keep re-reading it.
on 16 October 2015
The author is just as at home in California as in his beloved Berlin, but still weaves a great story in his usual manner.
on 25 April 2013
A crime story with the main character Mickey Murphy a lawyer turned detective. Deighton proving he can master any genre .
on 29 May 2015
After the brilliant Bernard Samson books, this was a real let-down...
on 13 October 2014