on 31 March 2012
After buying the olympus pen ep3 I managed 1 month before buying the viewfinder, its not a reflection on the camera which is 1st class, but I use the canon 5d mark II and just couldn't get used to not using a viewfinder. It's just a pity it's so expensive after spending such a lot on the camera body and lens in the first instance.
on 28 March 2012
I bought the VF-3 for my E-PL1 after becoming frustrated with the number of times the screen was unusable in sunshine. It has transformed the camera! The image in the viewfinder is very sharp and clear, but the colours are a tad jaded (not that it matters all that much). There's plenty of dioptre adjustment which makes it a breeze to use without my glasses on. The viewfinder angle is adjustable through 90 degrees, which is helpful for those low-angle shots. It's a bit flimsy and plasticy, which was disappointing given how well built the little Oly cameras are. All in all, I wouldn't be without it.
on 22 April 2012
The UK Amazon reviewers to date have it spot on IMHO. I debated long and hard about spending a significant proportion of the original cost of the PL-1 on an EVF. Once the decision was made, it was followed by the VF-2 v. VF-3 debate. I bought the VF-3 on price but it was a close call.

Once you get over the financial pain barrier, the VF-3 transforms your use of the Olympus PL-1. You can actually compose the pictures in bright sunlight and you can use it to focus manual lenses with far more accuracy outdoors. I have an old OM 300mm lens that was virtually impossible to use in sunlight before the VF-3.

The dioptre adjustment and the tilting viewfinder are effective although if you raise the viewfinder it does not seem to hold its position very well when jogged.

The image in the viewfinder is overly bright and perhaps as a result the colours are a bit washed out. As it does not impact on image quality, this is easy to live with.

Overall, too expensive, feels lightweight but a must have accessory if you are going beyond point and shoot with your PL-1.
on 17 March 2013
This is a great little gadget, it changed my camera so much for the better. I love my Olympus Pen but am not in love with taking pictures without a viewfinder, this remedies that problem. I like that it is detachable so the camera does not always have to be bulky, as there are times especially indoors that you don't need to attach it. My one complaint is that it is quite expensive and I am not sure if it needs to be so dear. I don't see why they can't make it less so. Overall I am glad that I bought it, as integrates perfectly with the camera and makes taking landscapes so much easier.
on 24 December 2012
... on using the led screen to compose your shots. As other reviewers have stated, the colours shown through the viewfinder are a bit insipid and washed out, but I can live with this for the joy of having a viewfinder again.
i chose this one over the more current design because unlike the newer model, the VF-3 has a locking mechanism. I didn't want to spend so much money on something that I either have to jerry-rig with an elastic band or risk losing in a knock.
on 19 March 2014
after deciding to go down the m43 route over typical DSLR I slowly started to realise the benefit of a viewfinder (but not the bulk/weight). I saw the original viewfinder attachment but the high price put me off, then they announced this updated version. I kept an eye on it over time until it dropped to a more reasonable price and purchased it.

I have an old E-PL1 camera, think I had to do a firmware update for it to work, and so far it has been attached far more than not. It has helped when outside in bright conditions where looking at the screen was difficult. I like the fact it titls by 90 degrees so I can get a bit lower than expected if needed.

...only negatives are the lower resolution in the digital viewfinder screen, compared to original add-on and the diopter dial on the side is too easily knocked and needs adjusting again before use.

Of course now the PEN range has moved on a few models and the latest is the VF4 and there is the EM range from Olympus that has introduced a viewfinder...if you have an older pen camera, certainly a worthy add-on if you aren't considering a camera upgrade
on 20 May 2012
Tthis is an essential accessory, makes using my PL-3 much easier in bright sunshine.
I prefer using traditional slr view finder
A bit too expensive as are all olympus lenses for this system.
on 13 November 2015
I have given this 4 stars despite the fact that I feel this is only an average product. As others have said, it is very light weight (which is good) but as a result doesn't feel especially well made. The image in the view finder is also nowhere near as good as you would see through a built-in viewfinder. Having said that, the reason I have given it 4 stars is that it solves what I suspect is a common problem. I am using this with an Olympus EPL5, which I purchased a couple of years ago to replace a compact. As someone coming mainly from an SLR background, I was unsure at the time how I would like having only an LCD screen. In the event, I've had too many instances of struggling to hold the camera steady at arms length, both from the camera shake perspective, but also from being unable to frame the shot carefully. This viewfinder essentially solves both problems and therefore for me is worth 4 stars despite its deficiencies. At a significantly lower price, I would be less critical of the deficiencies.
on 26 October 2015
Essential viewer for Pen E PL5, works just fine. None of the PEN cameras at the time of writing this review, have auto-eye recognition, so they still need to be manually turned on or off as needs. Deep in the camera menus is the option to set the brightness levels for the viewer display and there is an adjustment wheel on the side to adjust for eyesight correction. However, the VF-4 electronic viewfinder is better, pay out extra dosh for the VF-4 it really is worth it; the display is bigger, brighter and more high res, there is a huge difference between the two viewers. Returning to the VF-3 after using the VF-4 you will think the glass is smudged and needs cleaning, yes the VF-4 is a significant upgrade worth paying a bit more for. I have sold this VF-3 and used the money towards an upgrade for the VF-4.
on 2 January 2014
Finally took the plunge and bought this viewfinder to make the camera more useable in bright sunlight. Very effective and easy to use. I feel it should really come as standard with the camera or at least an optional extra at a reduced "package" price but it doesn't. Downside is that it is ridiculously expensive! Still glad that I lashed out on it though and I have used it a lot.