Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 June 2013
Many, many yonks ago I bought this, in vinyl, when it was first released here (UK) in the early seventies..My LP has long ago been lost somewhere in the melee of time, probably enjoying life as a fruit-bowl somewhere by now, but when I saw I could buy it on CD it initiated excitory flashbacks so I thought I'd get it for old times sake...lordy they were interestin' times back then (40 years now!) and my 'state of mind' certainly ain't what it used to be but this album brought some of it rushing back..a bit like some demon smackin' me round the mush...not kind, but heartening somehow..Heartening to know that such things really did exist and, in fact, still do..

Perhaps again, its just not fair to review this kind of music in a 'sober' condition but, for me, this is remarkable music and difficult to compare with anything much else either at that time or now..Not so sophisticated as more modern experimental or 'trance' styles such as The Orb for instance or any of the Ibiza 'dream-house' stuff but nonetheless quite intoxicating in its own laid-back, uncommercial way. An album that belongs to a different time and place really, both in a 'linear' and 'non-linear' sense, and one that I cannot, for the life of me, objectify outside of earlier and much more interesting times..
on 18 October 2008
Originally released in 1972, this was Ash Ra Tempel's second record. I've had both the Spalax reissue and the Cleopatra 2-lp's on 1 CD pressing. Either one will do. Liked the explorative "Light And Darkness: Light-Look At Your Sun" and the lp's side two length - the jamming "Suche And Liebe" the best. Please note that Klaus Schulz has already departed from ART. Personnel: Manuel Gottsching-organ, synthesizer, guitar & electronics, Wolfgang Muller-drums & vibraphone, Harmut Enke-bass, John L.-vocals and Mathias Wehler-sax. Not as out-standing as Ash Ra Tempel's self-titled debut, but then again very few krautrock titles are. Still, a nice pick.
on 8 June 2012
I bought this CD to find out if it had been taken from the master tape, or as with the Spalax issue from about 1990, from a vinyl pressing.

This question is not answered anywhere else and I can report that this is, alas, sourced from a vinyl LP. Pity. I assume that the original Ohr master tape has disappeared. No information about source materials (disc or tape) is included with the CD.

I don't have the Spalax issues but I seem to recall that the only one of that set of reissues to be sourced from the master tape was "Seven Up".

I assume the lack of any real technical information about the new reissues confirms my suspicion that they (apart from "Seven Up" ??) are all still sourced from vinyl and I guess we can assume that the master tapes are still missing..

In addition the sound of this new edition of "Schwingungen" is no better than average: the top end has been closed right down to about 5 or 6kHz - presumably to mask as much disc surface noise as possible - and there is the occasional click. The equipment used to derive the signal off the vinyl disc sounds to be of no more than average to poor domestic quality: the sound is dull, it lacks bite and dynamics and the "roar" of the vinyl can be heard in the background. My original Ohr vinyl copy sounds sharp, crisp and punchy, but as with all Ohr discs of the early '70s, was pressed on very soft vinyl which seemed to degrade very easily and quickly became very noisy.

Overall this reissue can only be recommended (at least by me) to anyone who has no other version of the album.
on 30 March 2014
I bought this album years ago from the Virgin shop in Bristol when it was a rough and ready shop and I was just getting into Krautrock. I took the 'Ash Ra Tempel' album sleeve to the counter and as no-one knew German I got 'Schwingungen' instead. I only realised when the tracks didn't match and I checked the label.

I love this album and although the sound on the CD is a little muddy it is just right for Hartmut Enke's bass. Nice use of jew's harp on 'Flowers must die'. The track 'Schwingungen' is essentially the Floyd's 'Saucerful of Secrets' re-engineered right to the final choir with wordless singing. The track is a little too long, there is only so much vibraphone you can take, but when the guitar comes in strumming chords joined by the clam-like bass, the cymbals and the singing, the whole album ends on a massive upbeat.

This is one of my favourite albums and age has not dimmed its impact.
Schwingungen - probably my favourite Ash Ra Tempel album, opens with the utterly sublime Look at Your Sun. This is a towering psychedelic tour de force, building gently with the most beautifully laid-back guitar and bass and lyrics of a direct intense simplicity ("I look out my window and see the blue sky", "and I know, we are all one"), through the maniacally frantic central section and then back to the classic Gottsching lonely guitar sound as the track drifts away. Flowers Must Die is a stunning trippy powerhouse of a song belted out by a manic John L who sounds totally out of his tree. In places vaguely Hawkwind-ish, the overall feel of this track is almost punk/new wave and therefore years ahead of its time. The extended third track, Schwingungen (Vibrations) covered the entire second side of the original album and is a brilliant example of the definitive Ash Ra Tempel cosmic/ambient sound. Significantly hypnotic and mood-changing, it is not recommended to listen to this while you're driving! The sleeve notes on the original album said something like "You're not hearing this music for the first time - you are recognising it once more" and you will understand what is meant when you listen to this. That classic Ash Ra Tempel chord sequence (later reprised in the Time sequence on the Seven Up album) does seem to grab you at a visceral, even primordial level and, once heard, will be with you for ever.

Kosmishe Musik at its very best!
on 30 April 2012
I really like this album and it prompted me to buy the first Ash Ra Tempel album as well. This is music that can take you on a journey.
I used to like the German 1970's rock sound and now I'm rediscovering it which is very exciting. In particular I like the sparse vocals... sounds slightly crazed and trippy in a nice way !!