4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition for a 360 used as a media center
Since they added LoveFilm, Netflix, iPlayer, etc. to the 360 it has become the center of my home cinema. I use it to play all my downloaded video files, stream movies and (of course!) play games. I wanted a remote as using the controller all the time was 1) wasting batteries and 2) cumbersome.

After receiving the remote the first thing I noticed was how good...
Published on 29 April 2012 by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Remote Control, Poor User Manual
Published 20 months ago by Kaio

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition for a 360 used as a media center, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)

After receiving the remote the first thing I noticed was how good looking it is. I have the new slim 360 and the remote has the same piano black finish. It looks really smart. It requires 2 x AAA batteries which were provided in the box - always a bonus!

Within minutes I had set it up to control my TV too so now I only have one remote for the TV and the 360 which is really convenient. The remote doesn't need to be synced to work but it does require line-of-sight. The instructions for controlling your TV with it are in the box and it's a really simply process.

If you use your 360 to play any media then this is a must-buy. My only criticism is that it doesn't replicate the trigger & bumper buttons functionality so you can't skip through content a screen at a time - you have to scroll through the items one by one. This is the only reason it didn't get 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS! Fantastic, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I was fed up with my controller powering down when watching films through my Xbox so decided to buy this remote. I had read all the negative reviews about the line of sight having to be straight on to the console for it to work, but I didn't let them put me off and bought it anyway. After all it was under a tenner (delivered). It arrived swiftly in 3 days and was easy to set up. I found my TV code on the Xbox website which surprised me as my tv is not a mainstream brand (it's a Hannspree). The tv controls are basic but work fine and the Xbox controls are all ready to go straight from the box. The remote works great from all angles in my average sized lounge and my Xbox is in a tv cabinet with glass doors (which were closed when I tested it) so nothing to worry about. I'm glad the other reviews didn't put me off. Buy it you won't be disappointed! IT WORKS!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360), 26 May 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
If you use your Xbox 360 as a media center, and spend more time streaming video and music to your HDTV with it than you do playing video games, you may be interested in Microsoft's new 360 slim Remote. Its easy to setup, & has a nice glossy finish to it!! Awesome :) I would highly recommend it to anyone. 5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved Xbox remote, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
This is an improvement on the old-style white remote. It's smaller, lighter, better looking and has a better button layout. Downsides are buttons that no longer light up (pretty useful in the evenings) and the need to point it almost directly at the Xbox for it to respond (the old version was more receptive).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little product, 9 Jan 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I originally had the mini media remote that came with the launch 360's, but it was outdated and didn't match the new appearance of the later models of the console. I opted for this new media remote and it's clearly a marked improvement.

The controls are good, it has quite a bit of functionality, albeit lacking the disk eject button of the original remotes (for the lazy!). I found it slightly difficult to get used to the layout of the buttons at first, not quite as you would expect, but it's a doddle once you do. I found it excellent for watching Netflix, Sky and streaming from USB/PC. The television controls work perfectly and are simple to set up (instructions included).

All in all, a great product, with the same Microsoft build quality we have seen of late. Especially worth 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Remote Control, Poor User Manual, 29 Dec 2012
Kaio (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
This is a good remote to minimise the hassle of controlling XBOX 360 with a connected TV, but you'll be on your own to find out the essential info to configure it in the first place. This is despite the fact that you get multi-lingual instruction manuals for different European languages but this seem to be more of wasted printed paper as the info you need is incomplete. It tells you to go to xbox dot com forward-slash MediaRemote, but that page has no link to anything else other than giving you the blurb you already know by the time you get to that page.

Luckily, googling for "xbox 360 media remote" turns up more useful pages, and surprise, surprise, Microsoft's own support page which the instruction manual should have indicated (or the blurb page I referred to should have pointed to). The useful page is:

support dot xbox dot com/en-GB/xbox-360/accessories/media-remote

There, you'll find video-based guide and most importantly the complete list of codes (in PDF file) for various brands of TV which you'll need to program into this Media Remote.

I first tried programming with a Toshiba TV as it was the close to me while reading the instruction. Toshiba's code is one of the longest list (over 40 of them!) and I tried from left and right (rather than sequential) and on about 7th attempt, one code towards the end of the list worked with basic keys (such as On/Off, Volume, Mute). I didn't bother to waste more time on the Toshiba as the TV connected to the XBOX 360 is a Sony which fortunately has about as half of Toshiba's code (23 to be exact). I found the right code for my Sony W5500 after about four attempts.

This is a quality remote at good price and improves the user experience by bringing the TV control a bit close to the XBOX than otherwise be the case (but sadly not the ideal full integration customers want!). For a TV set only a limited buttons work (On/Off, Volume UP/Down, Mute, Input Selection) but you'll be shocked to find out that familiar buttons such as Channel Up/Down or number inputs actually don't work with conventional TV. So why are they provided you wonder: these buttons work for Media Center TV Extender and for online TV services although I haven't tested with the latter.

As an aside, the issue of remote control never cease to amaze me - how such a simple electronic utility never managed to have an integrated solution for consumers' benefit. As an example of case in point: Microsoft, for instance, chose to ignore the implementation HDMI-CEC standard even for their latest product (i.e., XBOX 360 hence this Media Remote to provide a tiny solution). Thank you to the consumer electronics industry who made our lives so miserable - and continue to do so - by choosing non-cooperation amongst yourselves!

Coming back to the Media Remote, this is a well-designed programmable remote control that conveniently brings together the XBOX 360 with the attached TV and possibly home cinema. There is however much room for improvement as only a few basic controls are possible for the attached TV.

Good price too, and recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars 360 control pad ruining your movie experience? Get this!, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
I brought this remote in December when I was looking for something extra to add to my "Secret Santa" present for a friend and found this for 13, which was ideal to bring me up to my 30 limit - and while I was buying it for them I decided to get one for myself - why not, after all it was Christmas?

I know remote controls aren't particularly exciting but it seems good quality, plus its small and light; personally I would have preferred a matt finish, but that is just me.

After some light to medium use (as I tend to do most of my DVD etc. view on my PS3) I have found that the remote seems to do what it is supposed to do - i.e. it turns the Xbox on, navigates the menus, selects whatever content you want to view, plays it, pauses it, stops it, etc. - it even controls the TV (something which my PS3 remote cannot do as it uses Bluetooth tech). I personally didn't find this too difficult to set up, but I would say that the instructions left a little to be desired and I think the more technologically shy would spend a little bit more time than I did trying to get it working.

Again, the remote controls the TV (mine is a Sony Bravia HDTV) without any problems - turns the TV on/off (standby), changes standard channels, selects the alternative inputs such as HDMI 1, 2, 3, etc. changes the volume... and so on and so forth.

The only thing I can say against it would be that you have to make sure you are pointing directly at the 360 - and I know this is the case with all standard remotes (well, usually the general direction and this seems a little more direction sensitive) but I've probably been spoiled by the PS3 bluetooth remote, as you can literally point that anywhere and it will do as instructed. And the only other minor point would be... it's not particularly necessary... and do we really need any more remote piling up on the [insert your preferred remote location here]?

Overall though worth a buy, especially if you've got a spare 13 you don't know what to do with and you prefer the feel of a standard remote control to a 360 control pad (which no doubt, some of us do).

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 6 Feb 2014
W. Ferreira (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
This was a good little remote for the xbox. It did what I needed it for. The extra functionality was not needed because I only controlled the xbox and not a tv. Only niggle was that it seemed to need to be pointed very directly at the xbox in order to work. This was annoying at times when it was unresponsive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox remote, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
Boyfriend often uses it. Good for watching films/ TV on the Xbox if you have skyplayer of I player etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good remote. Some drawbacks., 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
Bought to use on an old Xbox 360 after subscribing to Netflix as an alternative to a control pad.

The remote looks very nice on first opening. Slim design with a good weight feels good in the hand.
Turned on Xbox first time no problems, able to scroll around the dash quickly and easily.
Some features lacking however. the number keys and other menu buttons (beyond A,B,X,Y, Start, Select, Xbox button and control wheel) serve no purpose and have no function I have yet discover with the Xbox menu or its applications.
Addendum:
There are additional features of the remote available when playing a DVD on disk via the xbox player, Fast forward, rewind etc.

Drawbacks are the shiny surface picks up fingerprints very easily for something that will be handled often and spoils the look somewhat.
The whole remote poorly ergonomically designed with your natural hold position way to low to use any of the commonly useful buttons, having to shift your grip upwards to what is an unnatural position in order to use the control buttons (still the most useful way to navigate some apps and parts of the dashboard) then sliding down again to the control wheel again.
This whole exercise feels very unnatural and reflects a poor design choice to have the essential buttons placed so high on the remote.

The remote can be programmed to turn your TV on and off but lacks ~ANY additional control including volume control, channel switching or input switching E.g. Live TV to Xbox.

Finally the remote operates via infra-red perhaps as you expect but in practice the means that you must have direct line of sight to the front of the console. So if you have placed away from the TV or at and odd angle can have you waving around stupidly while you use the remote.

Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360)
Microsoft Media Remote (Xbox 360) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
10.18