on 23 November 2011
I was out looking for a tablet for primarily using to access my music video library stored on a Windows network. The major competitors had nothing in store, well a 7" Android tablet for nearer £300, and Maplin was just across the car park, so I popped in purely on the off chance they had something.

Anyway, short story I purchased said Arnova 10 G2 without doing any background checking for general compatability etc. I was a wee bit disappointed to get it home and discover no official Android Market place, but 10 mins on Google got me a new ROM which is fully Market place ready, OK against warranty but its blindingly fast and does all I need it to.

Onto the tablet itself, the screen is very impressive, bright, clear and very responsive. Battery life very good, so far 3hrs streaming video over my home wifi, and it hasn't struggled to play anything I have tried to play.

This is a fantastic tablet for the price. The screen response is smooth and I've had no issues with performance so far. Full size USB port means it should work with external keyboard/mice/USB drives, not tried so can't comment.
33 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 December 2011
I picked this little beauty up for a song at HMV (they have it in a sale at the moment). I must admit that I'm very impressed with the tablet for the price. It's a sturdy piece of kit with a very nice 10 inch screen. It's able to show a high quality 720 image and movies/TV shows on it look great (as does streamed video such as on the BBC iPlayer site). It's also lovely to use for surfing the web and it's become my default device for lying around on the sofa checking Facebook, my email, Twitter, etc. If you get a good game to play on it, such as Angry Birds, then the screen looks great. However, some glarey, neon-like games do show up the screen's cheapness (unfortunately) and have the kind of glare that can hurt the eyes if stared at too long.

The operating system is fairly stable and moderately intuitive (there's nothing approaching a decent manual with it so expect to do plenty of tapping away to work out the inner workings of the tablet). However, I did have to install new firmware once as the thing went a bit crazy and mis-functional on me (what do you expect? It's not an iPad after all!). But since then it's behaved admirably. The only downside, though, is installing new firmware wipes out some applications and your brower's bookmarks, etc.

The area where the device really lets itself down, though, is in its applications store. The generic Android Market is not available for this device and it has an inbuilt store called AppLibs. AppLibs is atrocious to use. It's functionality is far too basic. It's impossible to see a large range of applications that are available and tends to only show those that are new or most downloaded (even though it boasts of having around 30,000 available). Many of the apps available are poorly made and don't function properly. I couldn't tell you how many times I've installed an app, tried it out and then deleted within seconds.

There is, apparently, some unofficial firmware out there which allows one to install the Android Market. However, for every success story relating to this on the web forums there is another where an Arnova 10 G2 owner is bemoaning his or her lot as their device - post install - has chosen to die on them or do strange and funny things, so a) I wouldn't personally recommend the installation of such and b) I'm somewhat reluctant to give it a try.

So, a great tablet in many ways but one that also makes me want to save up the extra pennies to get myself an iPad in a year or two.
on 10 December 2011
I bought two of these for my 19 and 12 yr old kids. Set them up very quickly, came loaded with a few apps including angry birds.
The sound and video quality is very good, and seems fast enough for most things exept maybe the top RP games, Its no Ipad, but for less than half the price I think its a bargin. The best thing seems to be the battery life, Archos have a good reputation and they didnt disapoint, I used it for over an hour and the battery bar didnt move from full. The touch screen is smooth and responsive, very glad I chose a conductive screen instead of resistive. The Archos app store has thousands of approved apps that have been tested on their tablets, meaning there is no risk that your purchase wont work, they also take paypal and free apps do not need an account, so my kids can download loads of free appps without running up a bill. 4g isnt alot, but I bought a 16g micro sd card for £10 so not worth paying alot more money for a bigger memory.Overall I think I made a good buy, and I will update in a few months time after the kids have abused them.
on 12 November 2013
really annoyed after purchasing 3 of these tablets as christmas presents for my children. i thought i was getting a bargain but was sorely disappionted when after recently opening the tablets to set them up for the children so they were ready to use straight away only to realise apps such as facebook and play store could not be downloaded as the tablets were not a compatible device for these apps.i have had to arrange returns on these and am very shocked to discover that i am being charged £3.99 each to send them back at a total charge of £12 for all 3....complete and utter disgrace! i would advise anyone who is thinking of purchasing this item not to do so
on 18 January 2012
Got this at carphone warehouse for 140, pretty good deal.
It's got
- micro USB (connect to PC)
- full size USB (flash drives / external hard drives - some recognized, some not)
- camera

no access to apps market (can put new image or download .apk to your pc then transfer via usb)

all in all would recommend for the price, very happy with it.
on 28 November 2011
Did not purchase this tablet from Amazon, but from Maplins.
We took a risk on it as we did no research before buying this tablet, but we are so glad we got it. Its not an ipad, but its not worse! Its responsive, fast and is so easy to use, even for me!!! And the sound is incredible! The picture quality is good and watching videos on YouTube is great!!!
Highly recommended, plus you just can't beat the price.
on 13 August 2014
I bought this tablet for my 8 year old boy and unfortunately after a few months, it started to freeze and has since completely broken. It hasn't lasted a year and is very disappointing. It wasn't the cheapest on the market and for my child's first tablet I thought it would be ideal.
on 14 February 2012
This can easily be confused with the Arnova 10 G2 which is an excellent piece of kit.
However, this product seems to be the old version (they've called it "c" - there is no "c") selling at £50 more with half the capabilities.

If Amazon don't do the 10G2 it can be found at HMV or carphone warehouse for under £140.
This is one to avoid until the price drops below £100.
on 18 December 2014
This tablet is a bad make stay clear of it u can't download Google play or Netflix the worst tablet I have put eyes on I buy this for my wee girls birthday she just cry all day birthday nightmare
on 22 December 2013
I bought this item for my Mother-in-law as I had one bought for me a few years ago. She loves to play games on the P C and i am sure she will love this Tablet...amazing Value for money!!