5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!
Published on 22 Aug 2011 by Bigfish

3.0 out of 5 stars complicated
Found the story interesting but very hard to stay involved in the content, it moved around mixing plots, confusing at times.
Published 22 months ago by noggin

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Max: (a psychological thriller combining mystery, crime and suspense) (Kindle Edition)
An excellent read. Kept me hooked all the way through. You don't have to like 'psychological thrillers' to like this. In fact, I'd say it's not like your usual thriller at all. It's complex and thought provoking, but it's also got a good plot that hooks you in and carries you along like all good stories should. It is dark and brooding, like the book says, but it rewards you with good characterisation and a quite unexpected ending. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant story but a tiny bit confusing at times!, 5 Jan 2012
This was the first book that I read on my kindle and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. The story itself actually reminded me slightly of 'Shutter Island', which is one of all time favourite films. The recurring themes in this novel seem to be jealously, death, ghosts, imprisonment, failed relationships and mental instability (nice). If you want to read this book to feel relaxed and happy, this will not be a one for you! If you are really into your psychologically disturbed characters (and as a psychology student, I am!) then you will love this.

I thought it was really well written and I could almost picture every character in my head as it was so well described. I really loved feeling the characters 'grow up' in the book and I got really attached to some of them. There are 3 stories running along side each other and this confused me sometimes. It made for interesting reading though. As I progressed throughout the book I would predict what would happen and I never got it right, which I think is a good thing!

Overall, an excellent read considering it was free when I bought it! I loved it and will be recommending it to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars complicated, 8 Jun 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb thriller, 28 May 2012
Ignore the one and two star reviews, these are a comment on the reviewers and not the book. This is a very well written novel, several strands all crafted together to keep the reader trying to work out what exactly is going on. It's a long book but needs to be, I shall miss the characters that have lived with me for the past week or so. My only criticism is that the end section, when we finally realise what is going on, is a little rushed and hasty. My second novel by this author and it won't be the last. Would make a good TV suspense series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A captivating read, 17 July 2013
Being a big fan of a psychological thriller, I've just finished this book and was disappointed to reach the end as I just wanted to keep reading more about the characters' lives and be led into more twists and turns. I loved the way the book manages to keep you guessing throughout. I will be reading more of D.M. Mitchell's books as soon as I can!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book, 2 Jan 2012
I read this book on my Kindle in a single day. I found some parts a little long winded, but overall it was very enjoyable. It demanded a little more concentration than most novels but repaid that with a great plot and several twists which I didn't see coming. I would recommend this book to most people as it is a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 2 Jan 2012
Rarely have I read a novel which has gripped me so well. The style of writing flowed effortlessly from the first page of this multi-faceted tale of believable horrors. Not one for the faint-hearted reader. Not gory, but disturbing, and the reader is sucked in to feel each character's mental anguish. So very well plotted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful study of insanity, 12 Mar 2014
All hail to D M Mitchell for his powerful, beautifully written, contemporary Gothic novel - a portrait of a psychopath, ingeniously told against a richly woven and meticulously detailed northern England background.

The author employs layered points of view superbly controlled to unfold this authentic, intensely literary, brooding, study of claustrophobic obsession, drawing one into a fully imagined universe. In which each character lives and interacts white hot on pages chock full of insight into, and observation of, the human condition. Max, novel and protagonist, are perfectly crafted works of art.

It's many years since I encountered a novel which so wholly gripped and challenged me. One which I found myself inhabiting so greedily, watchfully, breathlessly and, as a wannabe writer myself, enviously, wits on continual alert as I took on multiple personalities in the reading of - submerged in - this amazing work.

This, without a doubt, is the real deal . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars max, 25 Sep 2013
A really good book with many twists. I found it hard to put down as I had to know what was the driving force behind Maxwell Stone. A great read and a real page turner.

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark side, 18 Aug 2013
The character of Max was deep and unpredictable in ways. The ending provided an unexpected twist with the hero in a predicament. Lots of psychology at work here but it did make sense eventually.

ARRAY(0xb13b69c0)