Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.24

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 November 2011
This is a truly gripping story. Mara Sommers while giving birth to her son suffers an aneurysm leaving her brain dead. Mara's husband Liam and best friend Joelle are devastated, and in their grief they spend a furtive night together which results in Joelle falling pregnant.
We are taken back to the 60's to a commune where Joelle's parents were living and where she was born, after giving birth Joelle was not breathing and was pronounced dead, however there was a healer by the name of Carlynn Shire at the commune who miraculously saved her and whose story is very cleverly interweaved into this book.
Joelle not only full of guilt but wanting so much for her friend to recover finds and seeks help from Carlynn in the hope that she can cure Mara. We read of the complexity of a woman in love with the husband of her best friend, of Liam and his guilt over his night with Joelle, his struggle to bring up his baby boy, and his love for his wife who no longer seems to know or recognise him.
I was totally engrossed in this novel, have only just started reading books by Diane Chamberlain and love her style of writing.
on 8 November 2010
I think Diane Chamberlain tackles the subject of family and relationships brilliantly. This is the first of Diane's earlier books that I have read and although its not as gripping as her lastest ones I still thought this was a really good read. I think the previous reviewer covered the story quite well so I won't go into that but the characters are all lovely and really likeable and the relatinship between Joelle and Liam is written really sensitively.
I love the way the book jumps back in time so you get to read all about the healers life from when she was young and you follow her story all the way through the book.
This book touches on many subjects relationships between family and friends, love, grief, healing.
I would definately recommend this book to anyone who is just starting to read Diane Chamberlain or to anyone who likes Jodi Picoult because there are similarities between the authors in how they write.
on 30 November 2011
I enjoyed reading this book very much, lots of twists and turns. I have read a number of DC s books and have bought a few more to read. A very good author
on 22 May 2011
I have started reading this author and have only read two other novels by this author.This book was a delightful read, full of interesting charactors, and storyline. Would highly recommend this book, as a good holiday easy read book,
on 19 December 2011
This book had a slow start but slowly picked up and became a wonderful novel by Diane Chamberlain. It's a story that touches deep subjects and brings you through the world of emotions.

Jolie has just found out she is pregnant. The only problem is she is pregnant with Liam's baby after a one night thing. Liam's wife and Jolie's best friend Myra is in a home after having an aneurism when giving birth and Jolie is now racked with guilt and determined to go to any length to help her friend. She then calls on an old friend Carolyn to help her but is it Myra that actually needs help?

The book is not light-hearted really, it is heavy going, but it is an important subject and as it delves back into the 60s it is nice understanding Carolyn's background as well as Jolie's.

It is a brilliant book and I would highly recommend it. Lost 1* for the slow start...
on 22 January 2012
This is the third DC book that I have read and the one that I enjoyed the most. I loved the style of writing, the flow was very good and the book was very easy to read. However, I wish she would stop putting that blurb about Jodi Picoult on her book covers as I am sure she has a fantastic fan base. I know I will definitely be reading more of her books.

I will not go into the story as other reviewers have done that. I would say though, that I finished this in two days as I found it very hard to put down. The story stayed with me even when I closed the book and I loved all the characters (perhaps not Delora Kling so much though).

Read this book, you will not regret it. I enjoyed it immensely and the interweaving of two periods that connected the characters in the book was really very clever. The plot is dealt with in a very humanistic way. Thumbs up from me, that's for certain!
on 25 April 2004
mara sommers and joelle d'angelo have been best friends for years.theyhave shared everything, including the joy of mara's first pregnancy.butwhen something goes wrong during childbirth, mara is left severely braindamaged.alone and grieving, joelle turns to the one person who understandsher pain: mara's husband, liam. and what starts out as comfort betweenfriends gradually becomes something more.
mara needs more thanconventional medicine can offer.
torn by guilt and the impossibility of her feelings for liam, joelle seeksthe help from someone she's not even sure she believes in: healer carlynnshire. as joelle is guided down an unfamiliar path by a woman who isclearly keeping her own secrets, she discovers that while some love isdoomed, some love can overcome anything.
is it right for two people to fall in love while one person is technicallystill married, even though the other person doesn't know what is going onaround them?
liam and joelle have fallen in love, but won't admit it to each other,liam is still married - isn't he?
he feels guilty for his feelings,feels that he has betrayed his wife, even though he knows that his wifewill never recover enough to beocme a wife, lover and mother again.
this is what essentially this book is about, it's a nice read, with theadded bonus that you learn all about the healers life,but what starts outas nice interludes going back in time, for me became a chore to read,really because i enjoyed reading about joelle and liams story so much.thisstory touches a sensitive subject ans makes you wander what it must belike for people who have to go through what liam is.his wife still looksthe same, she smiles when she see's her huband, i mean she she seems happyto see him, but does she really know who he is, other than a friendlyface.
how long can you stay married to a memory - because really that'sall that liam has with his wife and needs to let go.
all in all, this is an enjoyable drama about relationships, that leavesyou asking yourself lots of questions.
on 12 February 2012
I first came across Diane Chamberlain as an author when I was on holiday in Florida a couple of years ago after I read a copy of The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes (later released as The Lost Daughter in the UK) that had been left behind in the apartment.

Before I came home I purchased another couple of her books but shortly afterwards her books started being released here so since then I have eagerly awaited the release dates of her books that I had not read. I've still got a couple of her older books to read but hoping that these will soon be released here in the UK.

One of the reasons I love her books is that she's not afraid to tackle sensitive topics and this book is no exception. This book covers two separate stories covering different periods of time, the 1960's and current day, and at first it's not entirely clear of the connection but after a while it becomes clear that the link between the two is Joelle.

What started as two friends consoling each other in grief went a step to far and now Joelle is in an uneviable position ... pregnant by her best friend's husband, something she was not able to do when trying for years to get pregnant with her ex-husband. So there is no doubt in her mind that she will keep the baby but does she tell Liam?

Feeling guilty about the situation she is in, Joelle contacts retired faith healer Carlynn Shire, who saved her own life when she born stillborn at a commune in Big Sur where Carlynn was visiting with a friend, to see if she can help her friend Mara recover from her devastating brain injury. But during her visits with Mara Carlynn realises that it is Joelle and Liam themselves that need to be healed just as much as Mara does.

There is a real twist towards the end which I didn't see coming at all but I won't spoil it for you, you'll have to read the book for yourself to find out just what it is.

Overall I wouldn't say that this was the best Diane Chamberlain book I've read but I did enjoy reading it so would definitely recommend it to others.

It looks like 2012 is going to be a busy year for Diane here in the UK as she has quite a few books due to released this year; Keeper of the Light, one of her older books which has just been released her in the UK, Brass Ring, another older book, is being released here in March and her newest novel, The Good Father, is showing on Amazon that it's due to released in April but according to Diane's Facebook page it's not due to be released in the UK until June - we'll have to wait and see which date is correct. All of these books have been added to my Amazon wish list - hint to my friends and family lol
on 13 February 2013
This was the second book that I have read by this author and I really enjoyed it, in fact I couldn't put it down. There are two main stories that are being told (with a few minor ones in the back ground), one in the present day and one starting in the 1960's, that eventually come together. It is the story of the traumatic birth of Joelle on a commune in 1967 and how she was 'brought back to life' by a healer called Carlynn. We then jump forward to the present day and the life of the adult Joelle, who's best friend Mara suffered an aneurysm whilst giving birth leaving her brain dead. Mara's husband Liam and Joelle are devastated and whilst consoling each other end up spending the night together and Joelle becomes pregnant.

The story goes back and forth between Joelle's birth and present and introduces you to many likable characters and tells the stories of not only Joelle, but Carlynn the healer, Liam and Joelle's parents. There a few twists and turns along the way with a great twist at the end!

I found this to be a great read and couldn't put it down! Would happily recommend this book
on 2 January 2012
I've read most of Chamberlains books, this book was a good read but not a GREAT read, if you know what I mean. I enjoyed the story, connected with the characters and felt their pain, but it was not a book that kept me up all night to read just one more page.. saying that, its still a great story , its just that her other books set a really high standard.
One more thing - dont read all the amazon reviews if you dont want to guess the twists in this book,