4.0 out of 5 stars No Harry Hole but a compelling thriller all the same.
Published on 1 Sept. 2011 by I Readalot

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly weird!
Published on 18 May 2012 by Annabelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly weird!, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Headhunters (Paperback)
I found everything about this book a bit weird. I am a fan of the Harry Hole books , although not so much the earlier ones, and was a bit perplexed by this book. It was clever in parts but I did not like the main character, Roger Brown, and struggled to empathise with anything he did or said. I found the plot completely implausible from the start and it seemed to get more and more unbelievable as the story progressed. There were the usual twists and turns to keep you guessing and make you finish the book. Jo Nesbo knows how to hold ones attention with an all action story but I think in this book he lost his grip on reality.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Harry Hole but a compelling thriller all the same., 1 Sept. 2011
I Readalot (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Headhunters (Paperback)
Headhunters is a compelling thriller that will keep you guessing until the final page, a thriller that has more in common with the American and British style than the Nordic. Roger Brown is a charming protagonist with a dark sense of humour. He is the country's top headhunter and has the kind of lifestyle that most people can only dream about, a lifestyle that he funds by being a successful art thief. His beautiful wife runs an art gallery and one evening during a private showing introduces Roger to Clas Greve and that is when the fun starts. Greve possesses an extrememly valuable painting and Roger sees this as the opportunity to make a fortune and finally give up his criminal life. Of course things don't go to plan and I kept wondering who was really in control. Roger finds himself hunted by an expert tracker with his life in danger and yet he is unable to go to the police, who can he trust? Nesbo leads the reader to believe they know what is going on only to throw in another plot twist. Although it isn't his usual blood soaked serial killer plot, there are a couple of scenes that made me cringe, albeit for completely different reasons, but due to the dark humour I found myself on the verge of laughing at the same time. I am not sure how well I will do with the film adaptation though! If you are dubious about Nesbo without Harry Hole then don't be, I hope this first standalone won't be his last.

A point of interest - all royalties go to Nesbo's Harry Hole Foundation to help reduce illiteracy in the 3rd world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with the problems in the plot, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Headhunters (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me as holiday reading by a friend, so I felt obliged to see it through; however I was disappointed by the style and the problems in the plot research.

Firstly I hate books which go into obsessive product placement detail, and this is one of those. Giving the exact make, model and serial of everything in sight is tedious. It always suggests to me that the author has one eye on possible film exploitation. I see a car and note that it is a silver one. I don't obsess with more than that. I hope I'm not too unusual there.

I also expect authors to do some proper research on things they are going to rely on. It's clear here that Nesbo misunderstands a fundamental about GPS. GPS devices receive signals from satellites and interpret them; they don't transmit signals. This isn't a level of detail which would only matter to geeks. I'm sure most people have some vague idea of that much about the technology. To state something so clearly wrong and then use it as the foundation of an important element of the plot just takes away any possibility of believing in the story.

There are also glaring inconsistencies. At one point it is stated quite clearly that even a modest copy of the painting referred to in the plot would fetch millions. Only a few pages later a copy is obtained for the crime for 15,000. The inconsistency was so stark that it stopped me in my tracks.

And then (without giving spoilers) the last chapter takes a strange leap that is so far removed from the pace of the rest of the book that I couldn't help feeling the author suddenly felt embarrassed by the place they had ended up and was in a hurry to tidy everything up. If you're going to do that then it is best to go back and revise earlier chapters to leave enough wiggle room to get away with the reveal. I didn't feel as though the final reverse like this was credible. It felt bolted on.

So, sadly, I was rather disappointed in the end. It could have been so much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pushes the action beyond all credibility, 8 Oct. 2011
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Headhunters (Paperback)
Roger Brown is Norway's top executive recruiter, who places candidates in the most prestigious jobs and earns a substantial commission in the process. However for Roger this income isn't enough, so he's also involved in art theft on the side - using his job interviews as an opportunity to find out if candidates have anything worth stealing.

When he meets Clas Greve, the perfect candidate for CEO of a GPS technologies company, he is delighted at the opportunity to get one over his competitors. When he discovers that Greve is also the owner of an incredibly valuable painting, it seems almost too good to be true. And indeed, he will swiftly learn that for once, he has well and truly met his match.

This is a VERY fast paced thriller (the synopsis above covers only about the first quarter of the book), which is highly readable but also almost cartoon-like in both its pace and its total absence of credibility. There's nothing even remotely believable here, but if you're happy to suspend belief, at least you won't be bored and I can guarantee that you won't see all the twists coming. Ultimately it was all a bit too silly and forgettable for my taste, but it's a perfect airplane novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Headhunters, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Headhunters (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of the Jo Nesbo books but I found the characters in this one surprisingly unconvincing and the action too incredible. Not up to his usual very high standard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Off his Headhunters, 20 Mar. 2014
Gs-trentham - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Headhunters (Kindle Edition)
One star is for having the nerve to foist this farrago of unbelievable nonsense on the reading public. For an author who has written the Harry Hole series to descend to this can surely only be explained by a need to meet a deadline without a plausible plot in his head.

The effort involved in making every incredible incident part of a clockwork whole was simply not worth it. Which is doubly true of the effort required to read it,

4.0 out of 5 stars A `tour de force' of violence and dark humour, 15 Jun. 2012
Susman "Susman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Spoilers:

Roger Brown, our hero or antihero depending on your viewpoint, does a narrative that explains the five rules of art theft. He then proceeds with a poised wit to demonstrate his manipulative gifts by bending a client to his will while extracting the information he needs to steal a valuable lithograph of Edvard Munch's The Brooch.

Roger Brown seems to have everything, a trophy wife he fears losing and a girlfriend that is only on the scene for his apparent pleasure. Roger has a fancy home with all the mod cons and likes the finer things in life, along with this his wife who is very high maintenance and hence he lives way beyond his means. His job as a leading Headhunter, for HR recruitment agency hardly pays the bills, however, it does enable him to pick out `marks' and then rob them of valuable art work - the main source of his income!

Roger is not particularly likable and his vicious world of international commerce is unattractive. However, a malevolent fate comes up the Kattegat in the form of Clas Greve (leading Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) to pursue the complacent, antihero.
Greve is a handsome, wealthy, charismatic son of a Dutch father and a Norwegian mother, apparently between jobs, having recently worked for a major military contractor. Roger seeks him out for Pathfinder, a conglomerate run from Oslo, and sees him as a target for theft as he secretly owns a valuable Rubens that apparently came into the family's hands by way of Nazi confiscation during the Second World War.

What follows is `tour de force' of violence and dark humour. Where would be predator becomes prey, and nothing can be taken at face value. Add some James Bond like hair gel that can be tracked by GPS and you're onto a roller coaster ride!

1.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly disappointing, 13 Mar. 2014
H. Rogers - See all my reviews
This review is from: Headhunters (Paperback)
I have read The snowman and Nemisis and enjoyed both but was very disappointed with Headhunters. The book has a rushed, insubstantial and unfinished style about it and is so different from the Harry Hole series that I suspect it is one of two things. Firstly it was an unpublished manuscript written when the author was finding his way and perfecting his writing technique and which has now been published to cash in on his success or else it is a hastily written book to meet some publishing deadline. Whatever it is, it is not a good novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars WTF?, 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Headhunters (Kindle Edition)
A tedious, ill conceived book that does no credit to someone who can write as well as Jo Nesbo obviously can.The characters are so one dimensional and the plot so ludicrous I am almost tempted to believe that Mr Nesbo had someone write it for him.
A truly awful piece of work and totally unworthy of such a good writer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark, very dark, 6 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Headhunters (Paperback)
I've read most of the Harry Hole books and I love them. Someone leant Headhunters to me and hadn't finished it as they weren't impressed. It reminded me a lot of Christopher Brookmyre - it's black, black humour and not for the faint hearted. I can't really say I 'enjoyed' it, it's a decent read, full of twists and turns which are clever enough for as far as they go but there's no real depth to it all. I know I'm biased because I love Harry Hole as a character, but it's a totally different style of novel and I need to be more involved with both characters and plot. Ok as far as it goes, but if I'd read it first then I worry that I wouldn't have bothered with the wonders of the Hole novels and that would have been a crying shame.

Headhunters