on 12 January 2013
Got one of these for Christmas so that I can quickly download the RAW files from my DSLR, and it does not disappoint. To get the best out of this reader I spent another £10 on a USB3.0 PCI-E card for my PC and now get an average 80MB/s download speed from my SD card, which is over over 2.5 times faster than previously! Previous speed on USB2.0 was 31MB/s.

For those interested I'm using a 16GB Lexar Professional SD Card Class 10 U1 400x speed + TeckNet USB 3.0 PCI Express Interface USB 3.0 Dual Expansion Card.

The unit is well built and has a rather snazzy Kingston logo on the top which flashes as you download the data, a bit gimmicky but does the job and not as naff as I first thought it would be!

As others have mentioned the only downside for me is that it skates around the desktop, but a bit of Blu-tac has soon sorted that problem out.

Highly recommended, 5 stars.
on 21 November 2012
I bought this to increase data transfer speeds from CF for RAW files and from SDHC for HD video files over my internal USB2 card reader. Worked straight from the box (OS is Win 7 Pro 64bit) providing a major improvement in data transfer speeds. The HD video files can also be played smoothly direct from the card if required.
The housing is light but well constructed but I have reduced to 4 stars only because the lead is very short and since my USB3 port is located at the rear of the PC tower case (which is positioned on the floor), the lead is only long enough to rest the reader on top of the PC casing.
Overall a great product that provides excellent functionality at a very competitive price.
on 3 September 2013
I bought this as my USB 2.0 connection direct out of my camera was taking ages to upload a card full of RAW images. I was getting a transfer rate of about 11 Mb/s over USB 2.0

I luckily have a couple of spare USB 3.0 connectors on my PC so I bought this to see if I could improve my card upload speed. I was amazed when I started getting average speed of 80 Mb/s. My cards can be uploaded in super fast time now. I'm loving it.

It's a really great little discreet unit. Although the top lights up, I actually sit my iPhone charging dock on the top on my desk so I don't see it. Sturdy and well made. Well worth the money, and lots better than my "generic" previous card reader (USB 2.0) that died only a few weeks after I bought it.

I would heartily recommend this item.
on 28 November 2014
I purchased this reader based on the reviews as my old reader had one lousy bent pin which rendered the Compact Flash card slot useless for anything shot on DSLR. As I've started to shoot video on my camera and where I was copying files over to my computer directly (I know, I know) Not only did I keep getting an error message but, (and maybe obviously) the mini USB port was working overtime and very slow, I decided to invest in the Kingston reader.

It's little bit pricier than others I'd looked at but I needed something reliable and this reader is a bit of a beast but pretty sturdy. Arrived quickly, the reader is ultra fast compared to what I've used before but it is a USB 3.0 port for data transfer so it's a step up, overall happy with my purchase so far.
on 23 November 2014
Great little device, and fully recommended. I have given 4 rather than 5 stars because USB 3.0 does not appear any faster at all than USB 2.0. In fact, I was transferring information from one PC to another, and loaded data from one PC on to the flash card at USB 2.0, and then on to the new PC on USB 3.0, and the time taken was around the same for each of them...

I double-checked the new PC had genuine USB 3.0 - and on this brand-new super fast Alienware PC, this was indeed a USB 3.0 port...

Either this device is only pretending to be USB 3.0, or the 3.0 format is no faster than 2.0.
on 1 February 2013
I have a fairly new PC with USB3, SSD and i7 processor, so I was a little disappointed to find that the Sandisk Extreme SDHC cards rated at 45MB/s wouldn't transfer data at more than about 21MB/s when inserted into the internal reader slot in the front of my machine. Not a big deal, you might think but when you have a couple of 32GB cards with HD video to transfer, it can be rather tedious waiting for the data to be read.

So, I thought I'd try this reader. Obviously you have to have a USB3 port to plug it into, and since mine are at the back of the machine I got an extension cable (needs to be specifically for USB3 otherwise it will only transfer at USB2 speeds) as well.

After I plugged it in and inserted a card I was gratified to find that I was now getting the full speed transfer rate of 45MB/s - result!

The unit itself is made of plastic (with a brushed aluminium top), but feels perfectly solid nonetheless the only issue with this being that it is very light and needs to be held while inserting a card to stop it sliding across your desk. The only real problem that I found with this reader is that the USB3-specific port at the back is very tight and inserting the cable took a bit of effort and some care. So, to guard against damage I keep the cable permanently plugged in and the reader itself stored in a Really Useful box (which is actually an appropriate name - great for storing all those little bits'n'pieces that one acquires along with the larger bits of technology).

So, if you want top transfer speeds and have a USB3 port or two spare, then I would heartily recommend this device.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2012
First, let's get this out of the way - this is *fast*. Uploading ~300 raw files from my SLR, with each file being about 12MB, took only a couple of minutes, with my previous USB2 card reader I'd have left it uploading and gone for coffee. It's nice and compact, and has a dedicated MicroUSB slot which means I don't need to use a Micro --> SD adaptor to access my cellphone memory card - this was an added bonus, as I just wanted a fast SD card reader that would maximise the speed of Class10 SD cards, and in this respect I'm more than happy.

However, there are a couple of minor problems that prevent me giving this 5 stars:
- The lead is short - 0.9m according to the specifications. This means I need to use a USB3 extension cable to have this card reader on top of my desk where I want it, rather than sitting on my mini-tower case underneath the desk.
- The unit itself, whilst nice and compact, is very light and slippy, meaning inserting a card is a 'two handed' process. A little blu-tak resolves this, but it does make it a little fiddly (especially as it's under my desk because of the short lead!)

But, minor niggles aside, this is a great product, and has totally transformed my camera uploading - highly recommended, despite the two picky problems.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2014
I've tried a few other card readers some named brands and some cheaper ones. This one is excellent, very fast transfers. I get 90Mb/s on my 64GB Samsung Pro Micro SD card.
on 3 December 2014
Excellent reader. Managed to get a transfer rate of 115mps from a San Disk 16gb extreeme SDXC. Fast transfer rates from a mixture of other size and spec cards.
on 21 November 2014
I have been using the Kingston media Reader for a couple of months now and so far so good, in fact I have bought another one as back up. I like the way the card goes in and locates well into the reader, other readers are so shallow, with this it feels reassuring. On the top while transferring is a decent red flashing indicator, unlike others that may have the smallest of indications to let you know that all is well.