5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston Technology USB 3.0 Media Reader
Published 18 months ago by Izzie

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Crap, Over Heated
Absolute Crap, Over Heated, Became Dangerously Hot & Now Unusable... after only 3 weeks, with very little use...

Don't buy, Waste of money......
Published 4 months ago by Alboos

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston Technology USB 3.0 Media Reader, 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Kingston Technology USB 3.0 Media Reader (Personal Computers)
Have tried this reader with a range of cards from elderly Compact Flash cards (and a CF microdrive!) to a more recent CF card, SD, SDHC, SDXC, SD micro - every card I've had since I started buying them over ten years ago. All went in and came out without much force being required (enough so I felt comfortable it was properly in place, not enough to make me concerned about bending the pins). Great download speed with usb3 hub and not at all bad even plugged into a usb2 socket. Easy to tell when the computer is accessing the card from the flashing red logo on top, so no problem with accidentally unplugging it in midstream. The logo lights up when a card is inserted, which also helps confirm the card is correctly positioned. Lead that came with it was plenty long enough to attach to the usb3 ports at back of computer and bring the reader over to the keyboard. The various slots are clearly labelled.
Looks and feels robust enough to sit in my camera bag without coming to harm. It is light, but then I haven't had a card reader heavy enough to push a card into without using both hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 27 Nov. 2011
Scope (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This card reader works as it should, I have used it and I'm very happy with it. Reads all major cards and has a neat manufacturers lable thats a light and it flashes when in use, so you know its working.

Plug in and play with no problems on windows 7, also has non slip rubber strips on bottom to keep it from moving around. Looks well made & does the job!

I have no issues recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Oct. 2013
Ordered an internal USB 3.0 card reader, which didn't work ! so sent it back and decided to order this, although external, as it has such good reviews and I'm glad I did as I'm not disappointed.
As it's a USB 3.0 reader, you will need a USB 3.0 port in your computer, for it work to it's full capacity.
I have a 32 GB class 10 SDHC which I fill with photos and HD videos and 32 GB MS Pro Duo, which I also fill , this unit can read them both as well as other cards and because it's a USB 3.0 reader in a USB 3.0 port, it uploads the files off these cards at lightening speed, far, far quicker than my USB 2.0 card reader in my other computer.
This is well made and strong and fits nicely on top of my computer, which is also black so looks nice too. When you put a card into it, the Kingston logo lights up red, to let you know that it can see your card. I have fixed it to the top of the computer with BluTack so I don't have to hold it still when I insert a card. The lead is 3ft and is plenty long enough to put the unit in front of my computer if I so wish.
Also because it's external, I can move it on to another computer with ease and take it to a relatives house to download their camera cards for them if needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kingston Verified and 111cm cable, 30 Oct. 2013
Traveler - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This Kingston product can also be verified using Kingston's online Product verification. It comes under "Flash Memory Verification" and all the details needed are on the label stuck on the back of the packaging.

[...]

Takes less than 1 minute to get e-mail verification from Kingston once submitted.

The USB3 lead for this item is 111cm long tip to tip. I found it plenty long enough to reach from back of base unit to my desktop. Would not reach desktop at opposite side of base unit though.

Kingston logo lights up when card is inserted and flashes when card is being accessed.

Only used it for micro SDHC cards so far. Simple slide in pull out as opposed to having to press and release on insertion and removal like my older Kingston reader.

Copied 7.83 GB of Mobius dash cam video from SanDisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 32GB Class 4 micro SDHC Card to PC in 7 min 13 sec on USB2 card reader and USB2 port.
Copied exactly same visdeo files through this USB3 card reader and USB3 port in 6 min. A wee bit quicker.

Copied 7.46GB of Mobius dash cam video from Samsung 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 48MB/s Micro SDHC Plus Memory Card to PC 6 min 58 sec on USB2 card reader and USB2 port.
Copied exactly same video files through this USB3 card reader and USB3 port in 1 min 57 sec. Suitably impressed! (Had to check this again as so quick in comparison to SanDisk results.)

Much neater, tidier and better looking than my older Kingston card reader too. A worthy successor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, looks fantastic., 11 Sept. 2012
I can't fault this product at all, works as advertised and gives full USB-3 speed, made my high speed compactflash cards extremely responsive and sped-up my workflow and productivity, I can now edit RAW files and export to storage straight from the SD/CF cards rather than copy them to my local drive first, which saves a step and more importantly, time. It seems to be built well, brushed aluminium on the top and plastic everywhere else, looks the part and the Kingston logo glows when a card is in the reader, and flashes when the cards are in use, it's a little on the light side so you'd have to hold the device while putting a card in otherwise it will push away, I fixed this by using two small blobs of blu-tack on the underside and I no longer have this problem. I can't fault the product at all, and it would be very unfair to give it 4 stars for it being light, they're not going to make a media reader out of lead, and it would be very impractical in that case.

Well done Kingston, way ahead of the competition with this media reader, Lexar would be jealous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, very well made everything a good USB 3.0 card reader should be, 12 Dec. 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:18 Mins

I bought one of these to "upgrade" from an older USB 2.0 card reader, this Kingston card reader supports most of the main card formats you'll encounter (with the exception of XD cards) the cards supported are:

* CompactFlash, CF Type I (UDMA 0-6), CF Type II (UDMA 0-6)
* SD, SDHC, SDHC UHS-I, SDXC, SDXC UHS-I, micro SD, micro SDHC, micro SDXC
* Memory Stick/M2, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick M2

Operating systems the card reader is certified to work with:

* Windows 8, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista(SP1, SP2), Windows XP (SP3)
* Mac OS X v.10.6.x and higher
* Linux v.2.6.x +

Cable length is about 1.1 metres from tip to tip

Build on the unit is excellent with a brushed metal finish on the top plate, the card slots have good connections and importantly a deeper compact flash slot which should help avoid issues with bent pins, which can be a problem on shallow slots, on the underside rubber strips are on the front and rear sections to help stop the reader slipping around on a desk.
The red "Kingston" logo glows read when accessing or writing to a card to let you know everything is working fine.

Notes:
The reader supports UHS-I cards and benefits from the speed boost they have, the newer type of UHS-III SD cards have additional contacts behind the main ones these cards can be used on this card reader, it won't fully exploit the speeds of the UHS-III cards but as the transfer speeds are very fast anyway this isn't really an issue.

CF UDMA cards also show good performance on the reader as it supports these cards

It's fully backward compatible with USB 2.0 but the speeds top out at the interface max which is about 30MB/s or near there. To get the full advantage of the card reader USB 3.0 is needed

Speeds wise it will vary on the cards being used but head to head this is very close to the Lexar Dual slot card reader (which has CF and SD slots) but doesn't support the other media devices. The Kingston is quite a bit cheaper and performs almost as well this earns a very easy recommendation. An excellent card reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust and very reliable, 15 Jan. 2013
Kingston make quality products and this card reader is no exception.
I use this with 32GB Class10 SDHC cards for transferring Full HD video files. Also has the slots for older type memory cards on the rare occasion that I need them.

Not that the Kingston reader was expensive or anything but it was well worth the money and a few extra pounds as its much better than cheaper alternatives. The build quality is excellent and the design of the casing and the quality of the plastic make it robust enough to be truly portable without damage. The USB connector feels solid and the supplied cable is long to give me options as to where I position the reader in relation to front and rear USB ports on my computer.

I cant comment on its USB 3 speed because I currently connect it to USB 2 ports but Ive had this for 6 months and use it several time a week, it has never let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Mar. 2014
I was able to download photos from an old camera in seconds.
Plug it in and insert the compact flash card, easy.
I decided to buy this particular one because Kingston is a good manufacturer and I am delighted with it.
Recommended to anyone with old compact flash cards holding precious photos from the past or if you are using an older camera with a new laptop.
My old Nikon coolpix I can now use again after receiving this reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works...., 19 Mar. 2014
Been having problems with reading my SD cards and microSD not just with an old Windows XP machine but also with a Windows 7 Ultimate one and both would refuse to read SD and and microSD cards, would read 1GB if I was lucky so bought the Kingston media reader plugged it in and it gave me several more drives in the 'My Computer' window tried SD cards MicroSD cards up to 64GB in size and read them no trouble so full marks to this reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 21 Nov. 2012
I bought this to increase data transfer speeds from CF for RAW files and from SDHC for HD video files over my internal USB2 card reader. Worked straight from the box (OS is Win 7 Pro 64bit) providing a major improvement in data transfer speeds. The HD video files can also be played smoothly direct from the card if required.
The housing is light but well constructed but I have reduced to 4 stars only because the lead is very short and since my USB3 port is located at the rear of the PC tower case (which is positioned on the floor), the lead is only long enough to rest the reader on top of the PC casing.
Overall a great product that provides excellent functionality at a very competitive price.

Kingston Technology  USB 3.0 Media Reader