5.0 out of 5 stars Queen Album Works Brilliantly, 13 May 2014
Timelord-007 (The Eccentric Wanderer) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
The Works album released in 1984 was my introduction to Queen with the excellent single Radio Ga Ga led an 9 year old me to catching the Bus to go shopping at Woolworths to buy this on cassette for £4.99.

Hearing it now on this 2011 remastered edition brings back those memories for me of when I brought this album & The Works still is a modern sounding album which contains some of the bands best material from the stunning Radio Ga Ga, Tear It Up, It's A Hard Life, Hammer To Fall that featured in Highlander to the emotional ballard Is This The World We Created.

The Works delivers Queens unique sound Brian Mays outstanding riffs on the red special Guitar & Freddie Mercurys powerful vocals delivering greatness.

This is a great album & a good album to purchase for new Queen newbies, Queens music is timeless as this album proves 30 year's on it still a magnificent album well worth purchasing.

Timelord Rating.
10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Queen Album I Ever Owned, 24 April 2012
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
I first heard this album in my early teens, having had it bought for me in Christmas '84. I remember seeing the Radio Ga Ga and then the I Want To Break Free videos. I listened to this album (and the other one that I owned- Queen Greatest Hits) almost continuously for a long time. I remember also feeling a sense of almost personal acheivement after watching their earth-shatteringly great performance at Live Aid the next year. It was the start of a long and happy relationship between me and the band.
For me, this is still my personal favourite Queen album. I honestly don't feel that it has aged that badly at all. In fact the production is sharp and clear with a tight, clean, rocking sound. Freddie's voice rarely sounded better, Brian May's guitar more than ever has that classic instantly recognisable Queen tone, which has somehow been streamlined for the new decade. Deacon and Taylor provide a solid backdrop which powers the whole thing forward. All four contribute songs; this was their opportunity to put the lacklustre "Hot Space" behind them and boy, did they succeed.
The album has such a variety of songs and yet one overall sound and feel (much credit needs to go to the producer Mack- why did they stop working with him??). Hard rockers like the immortal "Hammer to Fall" and "Tear It Up", power pop gems like "I Want To Break Free" and "Radio Ga Ga", one of the best songs the lonely and very private Mercury ever wrote "It's a Hard Life" and the beautiful ballad "Is this the World We Created..?". We even get a blast of old-time rock 'n' roll with "Man On the Prowl" (is it me, or does anyone else think that the piano at the end of the song stops very abruptly? It's always bothered me- WHY does it do that??).

Anyway- don't just sit there; buy it- you won't look back. Honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
A great album by one of the best groups one that you need to have in your collection a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Works., 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
What can I say - Queen are fantastic. I play Queen in the car all the time - even my husband likes Queen now!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their best!!!!, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
Imo it was this album that took them to the top, don't get me wrong they were already there but this release put them out of reach from the rest. If you are thinking of buying your first Queen album then this would be a excellent starting point.

4.0 out of 5 stars BIG SCREEN, 23 Nov 2012
PRESSIE. SUSH

5.0 out of 5 stars Top album, 13 April 2013
Mr. K. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
I brought in the 80s as cassette it broke years ago .
I was looking through the music on here and there it was I had to get it .

The Works (2011 Remaster)
The Works (2011 Remaster) by Queen (Audio CD - 2011)