5.0 out of 5 stars The First Queen Album I Ever Owned, 24 April 2012
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
I first heard this album in my early teens, having had it bought for me in Christmas '84. I remember seeing the Radio Ga Ga and then the I Want To Break Free videos. I listened to this album (and the other one that I owned- Queen Greatest Hits) almost continuously for a long time. I remember also feeling a sense of almost personal acheivement after watching their earth-shatteringly great performance at Live Aid the next year. It was the start of a long and happy relationship between me and the band.
For me, this is still my personal favourite Queen album. I honestly don't feel that it has aged that badly at all. In fact the production is sharp and clear with a tight, clean, rocking sound. Freddie's voice rarely sounded better, Brian May's guitar more than ever has that classic instantly recognisable Queen tone, which has somehow been streamlined for the new decade. Deacon and Taylor provide a solid backdrop which powers the whole thing forward. All four contribute songs; this was their opportunity to put the lacklustre "Hot Space" behind them and boy, did they succeed.
The album has such a variety of songs and yet one overall sound and feel (much credit needs to go to the producer Mack- why did they stop working with him??). Hard rockers like the immortal "Hammer to Fall" and "Tear It Up", power pop gems like "I Want To Break Free" and "Radio Ga Ga", one of the best songs the lonely and very private Mercury ever wrote "It's a Hard Life" and the beautiful ballad "Is this the World We Created..?". We even get a blast of old-time rock 'n' roll with "Man On the Prowl" (is it me, or does anyone else think that the piano at the end of the song stops very abruptly? It's always bothered me- WHY does it do that??).

Anyway- don't just sit there; buy it- you won't look back. Honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It, 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
A great album by one of the best groups one that you need to have in your collection a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Works., 19 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
What can I say - Queen are fantastic. I play Queen in the car all the time - even my husband likes Queen now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
Nostalgic look back to the 80s but what a fine album with barely a dud on the disc

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their best!!!!, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
Imo it was this album that took them to the top, don't get me wrong they were already there but this release put them out of reach from the rest. If you are thinking of buying your first Queen album then this would be a excellent starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top album, 13 April 2013
Mr. K. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Works (2011 Remaster) (Audio CD)
I brought in the 80s as cassette it broke years ago .
I was looking through the music on here and there it was I had to get it .

4.0 out of 5 stars BIG SCREEN, 23 Nov. 2012
PRESSIE. SUSH

The Works (2011 Remaster)
The Works (2011 Remaster) by Queen (Audio CD - 2011)