on 6 December 2011
Bought this after a series of unsatisfactory attempts to connect my computer to my stereo using FM transmitters. FM transmitters have a given weakness,i.e. a hissing behind the captured audio.

I have a notebook running XP and a JVC UX-G250D-mini stereo. The smaller dongle (Transmitter) connects to one of the available USB ports and the Larger receiving end to the mini-stereo's audio-input (your stereo must have an 'audio IN'). My transmitter came with this: 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Phono Audio Cable Gold 1m Lead; the RED&WHITE ends connect to the receiver and the black jack to the stereo's audio-IN.

It is plug & play. The sound is excellent!!! No interference from Microwaves or wireless internet signals, it can only be compared to a wired connection.

NOTE. this is not a Bluetooth or infrared solution. Do not lose the user-guide, I had to replace one of these thinking that it was damaged, only to find out that the dongle and the receiver can be easily linked following the instructions (in case the linking-signal was lost). I have only tested this linking the 2 equipment above in the same room. It has been working for over 2 years to date.
on 2 December 2012
OK so you don't buy CDs anymore and you cannot remember the last time you used your CD player in the front room. Meanwhile you are stuck in your home office/wherever you keep your PC, listening to your MP3 or online music through a PC speaker system........the very expensive stereo system in the front room just gathers dust! If you recognise this scenario and you are not prepared to spend hundreds of pounds to resolve it this product is what you have been looking for. You get a dongle ( like a USB flash drive)which is the transmitter, and a small box which is the receiver. Connect the receiver to its power supply and to your stereo amplifier using a phono lead ( supplied) and plug the dongle into a USB port o your PC. Your PC automatically downloads the device driver and recognises it as a speaker resource. Thereafter ( all the time you have the dongle in the USB port) whatever sound comes out of the PC is transmitted to your stereo. Remove the dongle and sound then comes out of your PC speakers. My PC is separated from my Stereo by a room/2 walls and is probably about 12 metres away. I had to experiment a little with the position of the receiver to avoid interference and noise and found it was best placed quite high and away from the Stereo system/TV/Blu Ray etc and all the mains leads associated with them. It is well worth buying a longer phono cable to give you more flexibility of position. Control over the music played is all via the PC so you set up a playlist or just let it run through your library!
Better still if you want music in another part of the house, for example ,outside in the summer for a barbeque, all you need is an active speaker system on your patio connected to the receiver ( no need to move your main stero system!)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was updating my stereo system, and realised I wasn't going to buy a cd player, as I couldn't remember the last time I listened to one. Most of my music comes from my ipod or laptop. This is a good way to stream your music from your computer to stereo. The system is quick and easy to set up. The only reason I have given this 4 stars rather than 5 is because I have noticed very occasionally you will hear a slight delay or glitch, but such is the way with wireless products. If you are looking for a cheap and effective way to wirelessly connect your laptop and stereo, this is a good solution.
on 25 September 2012
This does what it says and has worked very well for us. It has a standard small stereo audio socket for output and comes with a lead for taking this to standard phono socket inputs on an amplifier. It comes with a mains power block and has an on/off button. The PC USB component seems to just plug in and work. Highly recommended.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've persevered with two of these devices and both have demonstrated the same failings unfortunately. From new they generally work ok, streaming music from the laptop to the stereo. I'm not an audio connoisseur so I can't say that I really noticed any lack of quality, it sounds OK and I've been happy at that point. However after a couple of months the connection starts to drop or can not be made between the dongle and the main unit plugged into the stereo, which is frustrating to say the least. Following the (extremely limited) troubleshooting directions within the instruction sheet provides a momentary burst of music, a second or two, before dropping again. Finally it is impossible to obtain any kind of connection at all. As I say, this has happened to me with two of these devices. There won't be a third. I'm find it hard to understand why, in this era of technology, it seems impossible to find a reliable device that can transmit music wirelessly between a laptop and a stereo, I guess I need to investigate a wired connection until someone can create something that actually works. Avoid wasting your money on this rubbish.
on 29 March 2012
I have a Fatman Valve amp which I really wanted to keep using plugged into my PC, as the sound quality is superb. The problem was my speakers are the other side of the room so were plugged in with the cable trailing by the wall.
This solved the cable problem perfectly, and for much less (£40) than I would have spent on a Sonos ZonePlayer 90 + Bridge (£320) to do the same thing!

The sound quality is good, actually better than my cabled solution, as the cable suffered from low levels of background interference.
Not sure about range but it works perfectly for me at roughly 4m, with the transmitter trapped between a wall and a pc case!

Overall I fully recommend this product, or the Logitech Bluetooth version if you have Bluetooth enabled devices. The only reason I went for this over the Bluetooth was because I use Windows 7 64-bit and Bluetooth adapter drivers never seem to work on this platform.
I would have given 5 *'s but if you get too near to the receiver it is effected by body interference and cuts out intermittently. This is no problem presuming you keep roughly 30cm away at all times- not hard!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I purchased this so that my wife does not have to take the netbook into the kitchen to listen again to radio programs (either on i-player or other internet radio options). I hated the PC being in the kitchen - for me PCs and kitchen environments don't mix and the sound was pretty awful. Solution.... move the PC to another room and plug this genius gadget into the Aux input of the mini stereo that sits up on the kitchen shelf (well out of the way of steam, water etc).

Set up is pretty straightforward and the instructions are good. On restart of the PC it connects perfectly - sound is good and the wireless link works perfectly from the next room.

As others have mentioned, there are some limits on distance (and obstacles in between). I tried moving the PC 2 rooms away (about 12 metres and 2 brick walls in between) and connection was not good (despite trying the receiver in different places) and when people walked around the house, this compounded the interference problem and sound faded in and out.

So - it works perfectly for us.... BUT it is only sited about 4 metres away (the other side of a thick brick wall). I have not experimented with straight line transmission in a clear room, but suspect that the claims of up to 50 metres range are in perfect conditions where the transmitter and receiver have nothing between them.
on 7 April 2013
This works well for me..Simple setup,just plug the transmitter in a spare USB socket (windows8 drivers installed automatically for me). Power and connect the receiver to your amplifier,you will need your own RCA/Phono >RCA/Phono cables. Press the power button down on the receiver for 3 seconds or more (the LED flashes quicker after this). This will "pair" the units..and away you go !!
In Windows 8 you can disable any unwanted system sounds from within the volume control/mixer.I have not tried it using Win7 or XP so don't know if it will work the same way.
The PC is hidden under my stairs so there are 2 layers of plasterboard in the partition and it works perfectly with no drop outs..yet !! It is still only about 3 or 4M away so can't comment on maximum distances or whether it will work through brick walls.
I have a Netgear DG834GT wireless router and have no problems with the wi-fi cutting out.
on 6 February 2013
My experience of this product is that, although the seller (Maplins webdeals) claims that it has a range of up to 50 metres, in reality its true range is about one tenth of that. In addition to that it knocked out my wifi network. Returned it for a refund as it was sold under false pretenses. Unfortunately I had to pay the postage to send it back as it is not sold directly by Amazon.

Conclusion:

Cons: Range is nothing like what is claimed.

May interfere with your wifi network.

Pros: Can't think of any.

Bear in mind also that this device, like others of this type, will cut off the sound to your computer speakers once you plug in the usb dongle.
on 23 April 2013
My first thoughts on this were that the build quality was pretty poor (very cheap feel to the plastic), but given the price I wasn't going to complain too much. Initial setup was not a problem - the dongle and receiver worked perfectly when both were sat on my desk about 18 inches apart. As soon as I moved the receiver away the problems started.
It would seem that this unit will only work if it has clear line of sight - the receiver did not pick up the dongle signal from about 6 metres away when asked to operate between two rooms (with the door open). This seems to be a common complaint, looking at other reviews here and on the Maplin site. The second time I tried to use the unit (laptop back in the same room as the receiver) the two units (dongle and receiver) seemed to have lost synch and had to be re-paired (again, this looks to be a common problem judging by others complaints). I did get the unit working, and the sound quality was ok (some noise at medium to high volumes through a surround sound system), but nothing special. I haven't tried it with complex home cinema type signals and in fairness, it's not really sold as supporting those technologies.
I have subsequently replaced this unit with the Creative sound blaster wireless, which is a similar price but beats this unit hands-down in all ways and has the additional benefit of being able to work with multiple receivers.
All in all, disappointing.