4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin
Published on 15 Mar 2007 by K. Bond

3.0 out of 5 stars Primeval Series - starring Douglas Henshall, NOT Dominic Purcell
Thought the series was a bit cheesy, but ultimately fun and strangely addictive.

The reason for my review though is to point out that Amazon currently has the wrong description listed for this one - Dominic Purcell is NOT in the Primeval series (which came out in 2006), but in a movie of the same name released in 2007, while the series stars Douglas Henshall,...
Published on 6 Aug 2007 by Sej

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 15 Mar 2007
K. Bond (UK) - See all my reviews
I didn't expect a great deal from Primeval which is perhaps one of the reasons why I now find myself pleasantly surprised by it. The casting is excellent and storylines, although sometimes far-fetched, are enjoyable. For those who are keen to compare it to Doctor Who and Torchwood, I must say I personally don't think it's similar to either of them. At the end of the day, Primeval was never going to be groundbreaking - and, to its credit, I don't think it sets out to be anything of the sort - but it is a great piece of telly fluff that'll certainly keep me tuned for series two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Primeval, 14 Mar 2007
I am surprised at how much I have enjoyed the first season of Primeval. I expected to see another TV series that relies solely on special effects and nothing else. Primeval is not like that. You get to know the characters very quickly, each having a distinct personality that grows as the episodes progress. The story lines are simple but not that simple that you get bored and lose interest. I would be happy to recommend this series to anyone and look forward to the adventures ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent saturday night TV for the family, 6 Mar 2007
I have just preordered Primeval and can't wait for it to arrive. Of the 4 episodes that I have seen so far it has been really great TV. A fab cast (with Dougie Henshall - one for the ladies, and Hannah from S Club for the kids), excellent special effects and a really good story. It's the perfect thing to watch with all the family, the kids love it! I can't believe it is only 6 episodes long - what a shame. Good to see that the DVD includes a behind the scenes feature which I look forward to seeing.

I think Primeval is great. If you or your kids liked Prehistoric Park you'll love this, it's just as good but with a better story.

Bring on series 2!

4.0 out of 5 stars American Fan, 6 Jun 2007
P. Gagliardi (Horsham, PA United States) - See all my reviews
In response to a previous review (American grit), may I please give you an American perspective on this show? True, the budget for the average episode of '24' is probably comparable to the budget for the entire series of 'Primeval'. No doubt Americans spend a lot of money creating TV "grit". However, any attempts by Americans to touch a subject like this would be far inferior to this show, and probably downright disastrous! I agree that the characters were a bit underdeveloped. Perhaps the second series will have more episodes in which to do so. I will be very happy indeed if that's the case. I've always been a fan of Brit creations like the Walking With series and 'Chased by Dinosaurs/Sea Monsters', 'Prehistoric Park', etc. To see a SciFi show based on all those familiar (yet not cliché) creatures, instead of the usual Dinosaurs or giant snakes we get all the time here was very refreshing. As I said, I don't think any TV producers here could tackle this type of show as impressively as 'Primeval' has done. I mean, if American actors threw around words like Permian or Carboniferous, the surge of infrared energy from remote controls simultaneously switching channels would be detectable from deep orbit! 'Primeval' managed to make those words seem gripping!

4 stars instead of 5 was for one simple reason: the series needed to be longer. The thread (and characters) just demanded more time to fully develop. I thought the action was very well done, despite the obvious CGI effects. In my opinion, it did not significantly detract from the enjoyment. The stories were well-paced and interesting. I thought Douglas Henshall was excellent! I'd like to see him enjoy himself a bit more in the next series. I really hope the entire cast returns. It was strange seeing Ben Miller in that type of role, having seen him first in 'Worst Week of My Life'. Toward the end though, his humorousness (if that's a word) couldn't be contained. I'd love to see this series come to the SciFi Channel in the US, but I doubt it. Geeks like me are forced to find good stuff like this on the Net. I own a DVD Player that converts PAL to NTSC, but I'm forced to buy my DVDs from Amazon.co.uk and pay a hefty conversion since the dollar is in the crapper! Anyway, awesome show! Don't take it for granted. I wish shows like this would run here in the States. I'm glad this one was renewed. I LOVED 'Ultraviolet' with Jack Davenport, and that show just vaporized after one (very awesome) series. Fox in the US tried to reprise it and balls it up big time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the dance shows., 2 Mar 2007
D. Brown "Gunbunny" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I was a little sceptical about this show at first. But after watching the first episode on ITV about three weeks ago, the scepticism had all but melted away. This is quite an interesting, intelligent and entertaining show. The fourth epsiode airs in the UK tomorrow (Saturday 3rd March 2007). I particularly liked last Saturday's episode. It featured aquatic dinosaurs, one of which ate a poor guy in a swimming pool after diving from a high diving board. My only real complaint, is with special effects. They're not terrible or embarrasing. But in some scenes, it's patently obvious that the creature, or whatever they're using SFX on, is a computer generated image. Being something of a perfectionist, I find it spoils the show somewhat. Not much, but enough to give this just four stars. If the CGI's were improved slightly, it would deserve five stars. Finally, I really hope there is a second, third, fourth etc, series. This is a very good show.

Infinitely better than Come Dancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dino-tastic!, 1 Aug 2011
Flix (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I admit that bought this for it's low price.I enjoyed it first time around and thought it would be a good addition to my collection ( if it was naff it was going on ebay!)
My biggest fear was that as it was an older show the CGI would be a bit pathetic - plus the fact i was watching this time around on a big plasma.
However the show got me hooked straight away and because it was dvd i noticed stuff i missed before ( no such thing as pause t.v back then ..sigh) the characters are strong after the first episode - yes we have the cute blonde with a passion for tank tops and a Dr who wannabee type nerd.However this is the joy of saturday night t.v.
The monsters are of course what makes this show stand out and the clarity was amazing - i was tempted to try the 3D glasses.Cutter is our anti-hero the proff who finally shows a bit of backbone in the finale before he realises his besty has had an affair with his wife and his new love interest has been erased from history by him creating his own future ( it's less complicated with pictures).Ben miller also stands out as lester - the civil servant you love to hate.
The show is solid - if you liked it before then you will like it now, if your after a bit of light dvd viewing without too much thinking it's a good buy.But be warned i found the finale in particular a bit more bloody than i remembered so maybe not for the little ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charmingly Solid Entertainment, 10 Mar 2007
Five episodes in (at the time of writing) and I have to say, that this is highly entertaining and charming stuff which doesn't take itself too seriously, plus it does exactly what it says on the tin, and each week it's of a consistently high standard with great location work. Admittedly, the CGI effects may not be that convincing, but who cares? Primeval maybe lightweight, but it's effortlessly enjoyable to watch, plus there is totty for both sexes in this, and it's great solid entertainment for kids. This show maybe about prehistoric creatures, but there's nothing prehistoric about this fun and funky show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and engaging, 1 May 2007
Schneehase (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am a big sci fi fan and also have to confess to a complete weakness for James Murray, so the combination of the two was enough to make me switch on for the first episode and keep me hooked throughout and I can't wait for the next series. I thoroughly enjoyed this first series and pre-ordered it from Amazon. Since the dvd arrived, I've watched it all over again, spotting clues I'd missed out on the first time.

I don't think it's very helpful to say this is ITV's answer to Dr Who. Dr Who is a very long running series with a huge fan base, a lot of familiarity and has almost become a cultural icon in English society. Primeval is entirely new, although it deals with the time-honoured question of whether the past can be re-visited and what might happen if you interfere with it.

I agree with the reviewer in the Radio Times, the scariest thing to come out of the anomalies was Helen Cutter!

I'm not a tekkie so I was perfectly happy with the quality of the special effects and thought the monsters were particularly well imagined and very scary.

I agree with another reviewer that the writers cleverly kept the storylines twisting off in unexpected directions and the cliff-hanger at the end was excellent. I can usually spot plots at 40 paces, but this time they kept surprising me - I love that!

Roll on series 2!

If you are a sci-fi fan, this is definitely one to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets very addictive., 12 April 2007
I was very worried. ITV doing a TV series. Usually that never works, but strangely, this is ace. It has a few lame bits. Hannah Spearitt walks around in her underwear A LOT! with no point what so ever, except for being something for the boys!... ? She even answers the door in pants!... ? Whether thats a plus or minus, I'll let you decide. The dinosaurs are very good, just few dodgey bits (like close ups, the teeth always look rubbish). The characters are good, they all have their moments - good and bad - and i still can't decide if any of them are actually attractive or not? All the characters get better and deepen as you get further into it (obviously) you get a bit of mystery and a few twists in the characters relationships. It also has an excellent cliffhanger! Roll on series 2!!! Keep going ITV, your on a winner this time!!!! Thank You!!!

Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Saturday night viewing, 19 Mar 2007
It's interesting to read some of the reviews below. Yes there are comparisons to be made with Dr Who and Torchwood - as there are between just about any sci-fi series and others of a similar ilk. Just remember that both the other series attract "fans" who will be tremendously blinkered in their opinions in a manner similar to which they might view competing similar rock/pop acts. If you can get beyond your prejudices, then here we have a well made, well scripted and effectively acted piece of British sci-fi. It was a little slow to start with but gradually the characters begin to compete with the special effects and the story arc begins to deepen. Since seeing the final episode of the series last night, my family (children 10 and 13 plus mum and dad)have been in virtually endless debate about what happened at the end and possible clues that have been sewn along the way. So much so that we will certainly be placing an order for the DVD simply to see if we can put two and two together before an eagerly awaited series 2.

The series occupies a neat middle-ground position between Dr Who and Torchwood and is firmly aimed at the teen/thinking (but not too deeply) adult market rather than Dr Who's child/family/sci-fi soap market or Torchwoods 17-30 market (those who think that "adult" means sex and bad language and believe the world can be saved by just four people living underground in Cardiff docks).

The quality of the cgi effects steadily improves (but don't expect cinema quality in a TV series) and produce some genuinely scary moments. The fact that these cgi creations actually inter-act with the live actors quite effectively is a real bonus.We loved the dodo's antics and the future creatures in the final episode really made us jump (and were quite gruesome so not recommended for younger viewers who might be safe with Dr Who). This series is also not afraid to kill off some of the prominent supporting actors along the way (not just the usual sci-fi single episode cannon fodder). This adds to the tension and means that even the major characters can appear genuinely threatened by the predicaments that they find themselves in.

In Helen, they have produced a feisty and ambiguous "villainess" who appears happy to use people in any way that she sees fit to achieve her ends (whatever they may be!). Cutter is stoic and straightforward in a slightly hipper Quatermass type way. Ben Miller is sometimes a little light weight as the man from the ministry but he does add humour and is a nice counterpoint to the seriousness of Cutter. The younger actors also add a good balance to the piece and the CGI little flying dinosaur is actually quite cute!

The situations are also fairly grounded in reality with a much more "populated" feel than similar shows - when there is a combat situation then they send in the troops, they fire their guns and people actually die. Production values are significantly higher than either of the two rival series. It is both shot and edited on film which again adds to the quality feeling of the piece.

On the whole the production team have struck the right balance - it isn't trying to be as dark and serious as say the X-files or as soap opera-y as the last series of Dr Who yet contains elements of both . Yes there are plot holes and a degree of convenience but this is TV not real life.

We have had great fun watching this and can only say that if you have missed it either due to the slowish early episodes or some misplaced "loyalty" to other shows then get this DVD and catch up now! Whilst our youngest child still really enjoys Dr Who -it has now become eminently missable for both of us parents and even our eldest child now regards it as a "kids" show. This, on the other hand, has been great for all of us (but we record it and watch it earlier in the day to avoid nightmares for our youngest!)

Highly recommended.

Primeval Series 1 - 5 Box Set [DVD]
Primeval Series 1 - 5 Box Set [DVD] by Hannah Spearitt (DVD - 2011)
20.00