5.0 out of 5 stars Good for TV too!
Published on 6 Aug. 2012 by Steve375

2.0 out of 5 stars More bass than my ears can tolerate!
I purchased these from Amazon to replace a set of Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II Multimedia Speakers because I found they lacked the sound clarity I was looking for.

While I am not an "expert" when it comes to breaking down sound specs, I am not deliriously happy with the Bose set considering the price tag. Yes, the design is sleek and they are very compact...
Published on 10 Oct. 2012 by BerlinerPooh

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for TV too!, 6 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Bose ® Companion ® 20 Multimedia Speaker System (Electronics)
Although Bose don't recommend it I tried connecting these speakers to my TV headphone output to improve the sound from my TV. Wow! What a difference! The sound is clear and crisp with superb bass depth from such compact speakers. They were simple to set up - I just needed to adjust the headphone volume output on my TV, and I had a great sounding system without the complications of multi speaker TV systems. They come at a great price too. I have other Bose items and they never disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound. Deep bass from such small units., 17 Feb. 2013
First and foremost, I wanted a set of speakers with a decent sound quality but I also wanted ones that wouldn't look out of place next to my MacBook Pro.

These fit the bill on both fronts. They look stylish and sound awesome.

The bass is deep, especially for the size of them. If you max the MacBook volume and the speaker volume then the sound does distort but I think you'd get that with most PC type speakers.

Its really convenient to have the volume control, a 1-touch mute/un-mute and secondary line in/out, in the little control pod.

All cables come in the box including the 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo for connecting your sound source to the speakers.

These are mains powered speakers (as opposed to USB powered) and come with their own power supply so they do need an additional mains outlet but as they aren't USB powered it does mean that you can plug them into any music source which has a 3.5mm stereo headphone socket e.g. iPhones, iPods or even your TV (if it has a 3.5mm headphone socket).

I had these in my WishList for a while hoping that the price would come down a bit (which it didn't) then I found them priced at 169.95 on another website. I rang my local Bose stockist and asked if they'd match that price and they did.

I reckon, for what they are, it would be difficult to find better (in terms of overall sound quality and style) for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 9 Sept. 2011
Andrew Richardson (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
I wouldn't exactly classify myself as an audiophile (as in I won't take out a small mortgage to buy speakers), but I do appreciate the difference a good set of speakers can make. I've previously had a Creative 5.1 setup (which had to go when I downsized my desk!), followed by an Aego M 2.1. Both were highly rated in their day, but I honestly wasn't prepared for the difference Bose makes...

I've had the Companion 20s for about 2 weeks now, and I'm still blown away by them. They're more than capable of filling a good sized room, but up close and personal they really shine. Sound stage is incredible - wide and clearly defined. You'll easily be able to pinpoint instruments and sound is will defined, with excellent mids. For games and films, you really will feel like you're in the thick of it (especially if you couple them with a good soundcard with virtual Dolby). Bass is good - arguably on the punchy side for some, but you definitely won't find yourself missing a sub.

For sound, looks and build quality, I'd comfortably give them 5*. However, I do have a few niggles... With 4 cables coming out of the right hand speaker, it can take a bit of work to tame the wiring. The interconnect cable is also on the short side, so you can't have the speakers too far from your computer. While you can replace the interconnect cable, the 3.5mm jack is recessed, with a fairly narrow surround. Unfortunately this rules out most (all?) high-end interconnect cables. That said, the Bose cable is good quality, provided it's long enough for you.

Don't let the price put you off - you won't find better speakers for the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound with a little (easy) equalising of the bass, 15 May 2013
BHP (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I previously had the Companion 2 and my husband has the Companion 3, so I'm well accustomed to Bose products (we also have a Wave radio and two of their HiFi systems). The sound is very rounded and clear, with an excellent spatial distribution and a very pleasing general mellowness. There is remarkably little white noise, even with old recordings. With orchestral music the volume is architectural, you can hear the position of the violins etc perfectly. With jazz or voice you can hear every little detail breath and scratch on the chords. What is remarkable is that if you push the volume up (and these are really powerful for their size, they'll easily fill a 40m2 room) these qualities remain: there is almost no distortion, and that is a real technical feat.

My one criticism (which others have already made) is that the bass is too loud. It is as if Bose had tried to anticipate possible criticisms about the absence of a sub woofer and had turned up the bass in advance. On some rock pieces it makes my desk vibrate, even at low volume! So it is really important to use some equalising software (Windows Media player's works very well. Minimise the window and right click, you'll get a menu with the special effects. Choose the equaliser and turn the bass right down, you'll still have more than enough). With that proviso the Companion 20 are really perfect.

One more thing: position is really important. They must be at the same height (not always obvious if your desk is small or cluttered), angled symmetrically, and with a wall not to far behind (or perhaps this is why my bass is loud but given what others say I'm doubtful. And generally Bose products work better with a wall at their back).

Given the quality of the sound I feel that the price is justified. I've heard speakers three times that size (at least) which didn't come close in terms of clarity, precision and spatial distribution, especially at high volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable speakers., 13 Mar. 2012
I bought these speakers from a different website(got a better deal) about a month ago. And i though i needed to review them as they are the best purchase iv yet made. Ill also address some of the complaints iv read about these speakers online
Starting off with
Looks -
Iv read reviews about people saying they look too simple. I LIKE that fact about them, they look so simple and so mellow that you dont really expect them to blow your mind. I dont like flashy things anyway, so these work perfect for me. 9.5/10

Sound -
People complain about the bass being too loud and they wish that there were control knobs for bass and treble, but bose already takes care of that inside the speakers giving the best sound you can imagine. And yes, it makes a LOT of noise for speakers its size. No distortion. You can actually tell the quality of the Mp3's and then you'll switch to FLAC music(uncompressed music, unlike Mp3's). 10/10

Control pod -
According to me the control pod is also very good, some people think its too sensitive and they are right to an extent. I have accidently muted my speakers a couple times, but you get used to it and realize that it actually is very convenient. But you will have to buy an extra audio cable(male to male) to attach an external device to the pod as it doesn't come in the box. 8.5/10

Overall verdict - 9.5/10
And bose stuff is supposed to last long too, my OE headphones are running 2 years strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars God's Musical Instrument!, 21 Mar. 2013
You have to hear these bad-boys to get in your head how they actually sound! If you close your eyes it's actually like having the singer singing in front of you! God's Musical Instrument! BUY NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars rich sound with great bass, 12 Dec. 2013
I came from a Creative T40 II background. My T40s produce a pleasant, balanced and clear sound output.

The Bose Companion 20 sound output overwhelmed me at first, as my ears were trained to the T40s, where the lack of bass allows the mids and highs to become easily prominent. An ear trained to the T40s will, at first, only recognize "BASS" in the Bose output and will most probably dislike it.

After a few months of ownership my opinion about the Bose Companion 20 has completely changed. I would now describe the Bose Companion 20 speakers as producing a rich, deep sound output, which is full and natural not artificially pumped.

In my opinion it's not that the Bose started sounding better after some "burning in", rather my ears "learned" to interface with the new sound output which is undeniably richer and more dimensional (deeper) than what I was used to listen to.

This pair of small sized 2.0 speakers offers a very rich and deep musical reproduction, which, however, at least in my case, did require a significant period of retraining myself... at least I now greatly enjoy them...

Built quality is good, the wired remote is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose Companion Review, 2 Mar. 2013
Mr. S. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
After using a set of Logitech Z4s for the past four years I decided to treat myself to an upgrade. I'd already heard a pair of these in a shop and the sound quality was amazing, especially for a set without a subwoofer. The build of the speakers is incredibly solid, and they have a nice weight to the them which means they won't move anywhere, the control station, which is tiny also has a sticky pad underneath so again it will stay in place.

The sound quality is excellent in games, I've been playing Battlefield 3 and there are small details like footsteps which normally would require some concentration to hear if you aren't wearing a headset. Music is great too as they also pick up loads of smaller notes and drum strokes that the Z4s wouldn't however as a heavy metal listener I do miss my sub a little bit, but the Companions with one were a bit too pricey and the speakers didn't look as nice to me, but maybe in a few years I'll give them a look.

As I received my set, the audio cable was faulty, but Amazon were quick to give me 15% off the full price as compensation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional sound, bass varies with rooms size., 13 Mar. 2013
For a 2 piece system the companion 20's are head and shoulders above the competition. They can even compete with numerous 2.1 speaker systems sold here on amazon.

The sound is amazing for such a small system and I can only mirror what the other reviewers have said. I have had mine for over a year and I simply cannot faulty them.

I have noticed that the level of bass really changes with room size, generally the bigger the room the less overwhelming the bass is (physics!?) so do take that into consideration. Place these speakers in a UK household 'box room' and the bass might just blow your eardrums and you will have to modify the equalizer of the source material.

For £200 you will simply not find a system with such an amazing sound and such a small footprint (let me know if you do). For £400 you can get the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 which technically should sound better but it is also twice the price, the choice is yours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bose Companion 20 speakers, 12 Jan. 2012
It's a pity that Bose seem reluctant to mention power output or SPL for their speakers. However, I did not want a system with a sub-woofer so chose the Companion 20 and am surprised how much sound comes from such small boxes!

As other reviewers have said, the audio lead from the PC to the right hand speaker is too short, especially as my laptop's audio output is on the left hand side and I have a 22" monitor on the right, between my PC and the RH speaker. I resolved this problem by connecting the audio from the PC to the auxiliary input on the controller as this is positioned just to the right of my PC. This effectively doubles the length available from the PC to the right hand speaker.

The sound performance is superb for such small speakers and I suspect that the quality is limited by using an analogue connection between the PC and speakers - the sound can only be as good as the D-A conversion in the PC. It's as good as it can be short of using a USB (i.e. digital) connection and using a high quality D-A conversion in the speakers.