on 21 January 2013
SONGS OF PRAISE: MUCH-LOVED HYMNS, var. artists, issued by BBC music

This collection would seem excellent, a total of 21 tracks from various EMI recordings, covering many well-known and well-loved hymns, with a range of choirs and the occasional soloist. It opens with a (slightly reedy) Amazing Grace; then come favourites like Love Divine All Loves Excelling, Praise My Soul the King of Heaven, Crown Him With Many Crowns, Abide With Me (with all verses), How Great Thou Art; there are classics like All Creatures of Our God and King (Lasst Uns Erfreuen), Thine Be the Glory (Judas Maccabeus), and Blake's Jerusalem, as well as two hymns set to the haunting Slane melody.

And then it happens. Just after the York Minster Choir's delicate rendering of Lord of All Hopefulness (yes, Slane), the otherwise commendable London Community Gospel Choir explodes onto the CD with their definitely not-delicate version of What A Friend We Have in Jesus. Out with the organ and soft soloists, in with the drums, syncopation and boisterous chorus. The mood built up throughout the first 19 tracks is irrevocably shattered, not to be restored even by the mighty Holy, Holy, Holy (Nicaea) with King's College Choir that ends this collection.

A quibble, you might say? But everything has its place. And this bouncy, jazzed-up, syncopated version of What A Friend We Have in Jesus is simply, totally, out of place in these surroundings. Whatever was the mixer at the BBC thinking of?
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2012
This CD has every familiar hymn of the baby-boomer generation. I listen to this in the car and it is very calming in traffic jams and bad weather. The music is inspiration and up-lifting. Lovely!.
on 1 December 2011
this was a delightful cd with all the most loved hymns on it a cd for everyone that loves songs of praise
on 29 December 2012
Great value and production. Lovely selection of hymns. I bought this for my Mum and she enjoys it very much. Highly recommended.
on 29 December 2012
Our church is open for visitors for a time a couple of days a week.
This playing over the sound system is fabulous
on 5 January 2013
I bought several of these for Christmas presents and I think they were all well received. I have one of my own and love playing it. Very stirring tunes!
on 27 February 2013
cheap Cds of old recorded hymns bit of a mixed bunch - this better than most. As usual for use in car loud organ and soft singing doesn't work well.
on 27 November 2013
If you have the Songs of Praise 50 years album, your wasting your money buying this one, I think this has two hymn different.
on 16 January 2012
I enjoy all hymn music and I am glad I purchased this CD as an addition to those I already have. Well worth buying.
on 28 September 2014
Fabulous! My father had advanced dementia and could not communicate very much at all, but he showed his love for the music with his eyes and eyebrows as he' felt'/ followed the music like a master musician /conductor. It gave us many enjoyable hours together and I could sing along, too. He died to Abide with Me. Bless! We sang his especial favourites at his ceremony. We also enjoyed those considered 'Happy Clappy', because of their joyful praise.