on 2 January 2012
Fans of Alanna Knight's books will be delighted to discover that many of her titles are now available in low priced ebook form. Following the success of Alanna's Inspector Faro mysteries, the Rose McQuinn novels feature Rose, the Inspector's daughter. Rose has no intention of following in her famous father's footsteps when she returns to her native Edinburgh from America. Yet how can she resist investigating the unsolved murder of a servant girl when the murderer looks as if it could be the husband of Rose's best friend? The more Rose probes the msytery, the more mysterious it becomes. Dspite threats, attempted rape. and increasing danger, can Rose prove she is her father's daughter in more ways than one? Eerie atmosphere, interesting history, and a magical deerhound which races to Rose's side whenever she needs him. '''Every girl should have one !!
This is the first novel by Ms Knight I have read. It is a pleasant read with enough going on to keep you turning the pages, but easy enough to follow without overtaxing the brain. Set in the 1890s it follows the return of recently widowed Rose McQuinn to Edinburgh from the wilds of Dakota, her chance meeting with old friend Alice and Alice's demand that Rose use her deductive skills to investigate her husband's recent strange behaviour.
I don't think that Ms Knight really captures Victorian society and values, but then I don't think social commentary is her aim so if all you want is a light, escapist read then this will fit the bill nicely.
on 27 August 2013
I really enjoy the Inspector Faro books so had modestly high hopes for a series involving his daughter. The writing is as good although for my tastes the central character isn't as strong. That said, I'll probably read others in the series. Ms Knight has a very easy style and her drawing of the landscape and mores of old Edinburgh are excellent.
on 13 March 2014
I am glad I found this book, although I wish I had found the series the right way around, although each book is separate, there are some references to previous history of the characters. It didn't stop me enjoying the story. I shall be reading all of Alanna Knights books if and when I can.
on 8 January 2013
Another good read. Very easy reading and not always predictable outcome. Rose does take after her dad Inspector Faro and get the culprit in the end. References to Faro does give away his situation if you have not read all of his series of adventures..
on 19 July 2013
I have long been a fan of Rose McQuinn and this is the first of the series. It tells how she came to live in the Tower and a little about her life in America. I am now hoping to read No 6 in the series and then her latest book 'Destroying Angel'.
on 19 September 2013
I found this story easy to follow - well written and well constructed story line. I had an inkling of 'who dunne it,' early on, but there were enough twists in the story to throw me off the scent for a while, so to speak.
on 3 February 2013
good read and some mystery involved ...set in Edinburgh in the old times so was intresting as well ,some books you have to read I think this was one for me.pete
on 22 July 2015
I really enjoyed this book. This is a new author for me and I read her second book of this series first and I intend to read them all now. Good read
on 6 February 2013
Great detective / mystery story set in the late 1800s, yet very readable. A good read that is not too taxing.