5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to praise too highly, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
As you are reading this, I assume that you are a fan of Miles, or, at least, interested in his music. I am old enough to have been a fan since the release of Bitches Brew, which I still have somewhere on vinyl, although I no longer have a turntable. After BB and subsequent albums, I explored his earler recordings. After Sketches of Spain, I bought more of his collaborations with Gil Evans, which are genuine works of art IMO. It took me a while to investigate Kind of Blue, which is the one that I now play more often than the others. Like Trout Mask Replica, BB gets an occasional outing, but KOB is a more rewarsing listening experience, especially on a half-decent hifi.

This value-for-money collection is a bargain that is impossible to recommend too highly. I am retired and lucky enough to live betweem two homes; one where I was born and one where my wife and our kids were born. I keep my record collection in the UK, but have many in Malaysia; some second copies and some on CD-R. The box set is indeed "perfect", and a no brainer for both the UK and Malaysia. Although I have many Miles's albums in my collection there are still a lot in this set that I didn't have. I look forward to hearing them.

BTW, unlike many "bargain" box sets this set includes bonus tracks on many of the albums. In addition, again unlike many box sets, the documention is exemplary. It contains a CD-size booklet with details of each album containing recording dates and personnel, plus a mini-essay (in both English and French) that places each album in chronological context, with information on personnel changes, the style of the music, plus Miles's personal state. As most of you will probably know Miles had periods of substance abuse problems, including heroin addition. This, although it did not appear to impact his creativity, ot must have affected his playing, so this information is important.

5.0 out of 5 stars the journey of a thousand MILES begins with a single step, 10 July 2012
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
This is an excellent cheap way to introduce yourself to the art of Miles Davis. At this price, you simply could not go wrong.

To really comprehend while Miles was great, start listening in a chronological order and compare Miles' music with the mainstream music of that particular time.

Like Picasso, Miles was pushing envelope throughout his career. Unlike Picasso, Miles is responsible for developing careers of so many wonderful musicians, the list is too long to mention.

Those familiar with Miles will fare better by going whole nine yards and buying the complete Miles on Columbia while it is still available. The Perfect Miles Davis Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars reminds me of the 60's, 4 April 2013
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
takes me back to the 60's when we visited the jazz concerts and jazz clubs in and around London and the atmosphere of them

The Perfect Miles Davis Collection
The Perfect Miles Davis Collection by Miles Davis (Audio CD - 2011)