5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it is, 1 Jan 2012
* "Jake W" (Warsaw, Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
I've bought it because the price was right and I didn't have 4 or 5 titles from this set. As it turned out the sound quality of this edition is so good, life-like, that the box replaced my older records too. The covers are mini-vinyl replicas and the whole collection fits in a small handy box. Surprisingly good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this mainly for the 2 disc version of We Want Miles,a fabulous '70's comeback.I saw a performance from this band broadcast on TV and couldn't wait to get it from the shops--we're talking vinyl days--I loved it then,and continue to do so now.The Japanese 2cd version is awfully costly,and having had it once,I found the sound disappointing,however these selections from the Complete Columbia have the sound I remember from my old LP's(or maybe my new Naim CD player is giving me far more accuracy of sound than my old one than I could believe)...all in all,a really good buy for £28.49(I had to search around for the cheapest deal,but it's so much more satisfying to get a bargain,and there are people asking £55 for this).In sum,the one disc I really wanted paid for the box,and at around £1.42 per title(£1.29 per cd)it is an outstanding buy.You also get bonus tracks included in the latest releases of the cd's,and whilst this may not be "Perfect"as a collection,it is darn good.I'd rather have had Agharta and Pangea than,say Star People or Decoy,but how can anyone complain?Just one question,if the 70 cd complete set sells for nearly £400,how can this be sold at less than a tenth of the price?Surely the 70 cd set should be about £100/125? I'll never understand the economics of this kind of thing,but will most definitely recommend this set to anyone,and at the price,you'd be fool to miss it,even if you have a lot of the discs already.As I say,for me the We Want Miles is enough of a temptation to get the whole package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 7 April 2012
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
Never quite sure who something like this box set is aimed at. Chances are most Miles or Jazz fans will have quite a number of these albums. For someone who doesn't, shelling out £40 might be too much and 20 albums is a bit overwhelming anyway. Nonetheless it does represent excellent value. If you just have a couple of Miles's albums like Sketches of Spain or Kind of Blue, this collection would be worth getting for other great records like Miles Smiles, Nefertiti and Filles de Kilimanjaro. But there isn't an album in the whole collection one wouldn't want to play.

Just one other comment. The emphasis is on Miles's middle and later albums. Fair enough, but, personally, I love the Prestige records and a truly 'perfect' collection would include more of these works.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am New To Jazz, But I Love Miles Davis!, 2 Mar 2013
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
I am predominantly a rock music fan. Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen, Alter Bridge, Lacuna Coil, Toto...all bands I know and love, and this list is just the tip of the iceberg.

I also appreciate classical music, I love the works of Stravinsky and bits and pieces beyond that.

So the point I am trying to make? I am not a jazz fan. Never liked the stuff, never desired to try. But one day when I was about 17 my best friend (who at the time was all about heavy metal) played me Kind Of Blue. I remember thinking immediately that I didn't dislike it. And for years, shards of that album lingered in my mind. I thought nothing serious of him, or the album, but I immediately felt that he was somebody to be admired.

A few years later I was bored of the music I embraced wholeheartedly in my teens. To this date, only two bands from my school days linger with me: Khoma and Lacuna Coil. So I went on Amazon with the intention of broadening my horizons. I bought a copy of Kind Of Blue that also featured Asvenseur Pour Le Chaud (or something along those lines) and Something Else. All those albums blue my mind! Over the next couple of years I would go on to replay those albums a lot, and my appetite for more was whet!

So I debated on what to get next. I purchased a couple of compilations, but they were not enough! So when I shopped around for a copy of Bitches Brew and others, the cost just skyrocketed! And then I found this box set...

Now, immediately I noticed that in a box set of 20albums, a host of bonus tracks were supplied as well as a good quality booklet. Most of the albums I wanted were included, as well as many more. I bought it for about £30 and I'm still getting through it slowly.

Sketches Of Spain, Porgy And Bess, Bitches Brew, 1958 Miles...o my goodness this man worked wonders! I just cannot believe how great this man is! I'm still not sure exactly how much I like jazz yet as a genre, but Miles Davis himself is a musician I have come to greatly admire! I haven't warmed to everything, but some of the stuff I have grown to love, if I bought them separately, would ultimately have come to a much higher price than what I payed just for this item!

Everything about this is quality. It doesn't have everything I want, I really wish his set contained the Prestige albums, but on the whole I cannot fault what is featured.

In short, my best purchase of 2013 so far. If anyone had any further recommendations on other Miles Davis works or other notable jazz artists, please let me know by leaving a couple of comments!

19/08/13 EDIT: Now i have spent more time with this boxset, i am happy to announce i have my very own personal favourite: Nefertiti. it is simply wonderful, and it feels intense and quite dark in comparison to the rest of his work. a real gem and a personal favourite in my collection of music. i might never have heard it had i not paid for this box set!

and in a silent way is another, gentler masterpiece. i love that too!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great!, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
A great start to your Davis collection. You'll be able to listen to these for a long time. Don't know if there's a bad disk on there. And it looks really good on your shelf. But where's Milestones? That should be on here, in my opinion. Otherwise, it's perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
A pointless purchase if you are going for the mammoth Complete Columbia Collection which this forms a little part of,but is a great product in itself.Includes Bitches brew,Nerfititi and On the corner.I now have 8 different box sets which include 'Kind of blue' !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value for people that want to explore Miles Davis' legacy., 19 Jan 2014
Mark Milberg (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
This box set is great value for people that want to explore Miles Davis' legacy. It collects almost all of Miles Davis' studio albums for Columbia (but we aware that Miles Davis recorded with a number of labels for about a decade before he signed with Columbia and he left Columbia and signed with Warner at the end of his career, so this box set does not span his entire career). All of his significant Columbia studio albums are included in this box set.

The box set does not include many of his live albums but you can use this set to determine which period of his career you are most interested in, and then buy some of the live albums and deluxe editions that Sony has released from that phase of his career.

The CDs come in cardboard sleeves. All of the sleeves and CDs arrived in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT OVERVIEW OF MILES, 5 Jan 2014
Mr. Aa James - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
This covers the vast majority of miles key albums over the years and well
illustrates his changing styles This is the one to get if you want a standard
collection which covers his important recordings Bonus tracks included

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value set, 28 Sep 2013
Mr. P. Mex - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
Had a lot of these albums already, but if you can't afford the really expensive 70-disc set like myself, this is a good compromise. A great selection of Miles' albums housed beautifully in one place at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Overview of a 30 Year Period, 16 Jan 2013
Mr. D. Wyatt - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this box set (at a very cheap cost of under £1.50 per album) to save shelf space. I had all but a few of the CDs already and had owned them for a few years. I sold them to a local dealer and put the money towards this collection and do not regret my decision.
The set arrived very quickly from Amazon and the packaging has been very well thought out. The discs are held in a good quality box with an informative booklet and the titles are on the cardboard covers spines, so no rummaging around to pick a particular album is required.
No Miles enthusiast needs a description of this superb music which will be familiar to them. However I noticed a big improvement in sound quality as Sony/CBS have obviously not just re-packaged existing CDs but have enhanced the sound once more. This is particularly noticeable on the Gil Evans collaborations, particularly "Miles Ahead" which previously has always sounded muzzy and harsh to me. I actually enjoy it now!
My only (small, personal) gripe is the incusion of "Miles In Berlin" the sound quality of which is not up to the standard of the others and is played mainly at a breakneck pace. I'd rather have had "My Funny Valentine/ Four and More" from around the same period. But then the manufactures obviously can't please everyone with an incomplete, though large collection.
Well worth your pennies then, (even if you have the earlier CDs) especially from Amazon.

The Perfect Miles Davis Collection
The Perfect Miles Davis Collection by Miles Davis (Audio CD - 2011)