5.0 out of 5 stars NEED IT READ!
Published on 20 Dec 2011 by Kishan P

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version not worth buying.
This review is of the Kindle version of this book. The content, book, writing etc - no complaints, plenty of reviews here will cover that.
HOWEVER, it just does not work on a Kindle.

Point 1 - The author constantly refers you to pages in the book - you can't search for these, the Kindle version has no page numbers. Bad.

Point 2 - Page formatting...
Published on 14 Feb 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars NEED IT READ!, 20 Dec 2011
I am only a teenager,(I don't read extremely complex/ degree level books etc.) but this book is very easy to read and to understand. It is split up into 50 sections on the topics: 'Problems of knowledge', 'Mind matters', 'Ethics', 'Animal Rights', 'Logic and meaning', 'Science', 'Aesthetics', 'Religion' and 'Politics, Justice and Society'. These sub-heading allow you to read how you wish (read what you want to read).
At the beginning of every 'Idea' there is a short paragraph that summarizes the 'Idea', this is so helpful.
I read 1 'Idea' a night before I go to bed and only 1 so that from the time when I finish the section to the time I fall asleep I can think about the 'Idea'. Unlike most people of my age I look forward to reading this book and opening my mind. This book gives you a different perspective of life and the world around you, it's mind-blowing!

5.0 out of 5 stars What A great book, 29 Jun 2009
S. Horrocks (Cleethorpes, UK) - See all my reviews
Studying for a psychology degree, one of our modules was philosophy. This book was fantastic to help me understand philiosophy, it gives you the basics in a readable understandable format, and gives you a good understanding of philosophy before you hit the hard stuff. All round this book made philosophy for me a pleasurable and understandable subject and spurned me on to read more. Had I picked up a philosophy text first i probably would have cried. Thank You Ben Dupre, you sold philosophy to me.

Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Western philosophy for the uninitiated, 19 May 2009
A fascinating - and more to the point, enjoyable - collection of 50 essays, each spanning 4 pages and accompanied with various sidepanels, quotations and notes. From slippery slopes to the prisoner's dilemma, from the cosmological argument to animal rights, Dupré brings a welcome clarity to questions that we should all care about. If you're looking for an accessible introduction to the ideas of Plato, Descartes, Hume and other influential thinkers throughout history, and if you don't know your consequentialist from your deontologist, this is a superb starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought, 28 Mar 2008
K. Roycroft "LadyK" (England) - See all my reviews
This book presents the reader with 50 short and to-the-point essays on philosophy ideas. Dupre draws upon significant published works and discusses the meaning of them, also comparing the differences between older and newer studies. I found it to be well written with useful factual information, as well as specualtion on the thoughts and arguments that arise before and after a new idea is put forward. I was pleased to note that there is no hint of bias toward any particular school of thought, and empiricism, realism, dualism, naturalism, consequentialism...etc are all refered to in a relevant manner. I have little knowledge of philosophy but the essays reached out to me and I was able to understand them easily (and give them a lot of thought!). A wonderful starting point for students, beginners or anyone with a slight interest in how we think about life, the universe and everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge this book by it's cover....., 7 Jan 2011
I loved reading this book, it's the sort of book you can pull off the shelf when you hit a slump, open the book at random and read up on any one of philosophy's big ideas. 'The writing style is easy going yet informative, no pretensions here, just good skill at getting the ideas across in an accessible format.

Brains in vats, aesthetics, religion, epistemology, a wide cross section of philosophy is covered and if nothing else this book will offer the reader an even greater appreciation of what philosophy can do and it's vital importance in the world.

Too much attention is paid to science, which gives us toys such as genetic babies, but cant answer whether we should actually choose to have genetic babies, that's where philosophy comes in.

Cracking, must read book for fun, inspiration or even a little escapism.

5.0 out of 5 stars The six-month book!, 16 Jun 2011
Mr. Stephen H. Campbell (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book should have taken me two days to read, but kept my attention for six months! Not a book for academic study perhaps, but a brilliantly written and entertaining book, in a most interesting format. Having introduced each topic with wit and clarity, the author compares and contrasts the various strands of philosophical argument and gives examples from popular culture, which even a layman such as me can understand and relate to.

For those wishing to initiate themselves into thinking about the meaning of things in greater depth, but wishing to be entertained as well, this is the book. Be prepared to return to the same passage or chapter several times over, as you find yourself debating the issue and changing your mind every time you read it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version not worth buying., 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know (Kindle Edition)
HOWEVER, it just does not work on a Kindle.

Point 2 - Page formatting is poor, text quality is poor due to the need to try and see the width of a whole page.
I had to read this book with my Kindle rotated 90 degrees.

Point 3 - Graphics - the timelines made no sense unless you rotated the page 90 degrees and the selected the smallest font size to get it all on the page.

Unless you intend to buy the hardcopy and have the Kindle version for reference it's useless and hard to read.
I would not buy this for Kindle if I had the choice, and there will be more books out there that are the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and informative.., 12 Jun 2009
This is an excellent introductory to anyone who wishes to study philosophy. It is a well-rounded and clearly thought out collective of philosophical ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first genuinely 'dip in and out of' philosophy introduction..., 2 Sep 2009
Every section in this book is well-written, clear, balanced and will cause you to think. And as the title of this review says, you can easily read a short section and come back to the book later without losing any value - although to be honest, the book is so well-written you won't want to stop reading and thinking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, Great Content, 16 May 2011
This is a book for those who want an easy comprehensive introduction to Philosophy, ranging from the early concepts of Plato and Aristotle, to more recent Western thinkers such as Renee Descartes, David Hume, and Immanuel Kant, to name but a few.

The chapters are bite-sized portions covering four pages each, touching broadly on the metaphysical notions of Scepticism, Rationalism and Empiricism (or 'A Priori' or 'A Posteriori'), Deontology (duty based morality) and Utilitarianism (consequentialist based morality), Paradoxes and Logical Fallacies, among others. On the whole, I found each to be very intriguing, though like with anything some insights piqued my interest more than others.

The book is extremely well written, in that it is informative, concise, clear, balanced, and I personally found it very enjoyable. The flow of the book is aided by the fact that the topics are well sequenced, as they frequently overlap in content and ideas, and consequently I found it difficult to put down once I had picked it up. You finish one four page chapter, and then think, well maybe just another... and another...

Thanks to '50 Philosophy Ideas (You really need to Know)', I have been inspired to search for more specific texts on certain philosophers and topics (my personal favourite being Immanuel Kant, though this of course might change with time), as well as looking into the other '50 [Something] Ideas...' series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›