4.0 out of 5 stars good ADSL router but not a fan of the GUI interface
Previously I had a Netgear DG834G (6 years), very good router no quibbles, so this review is based upon a comparison of my previous router. As nothing else has changed (same house, cable, computers, ISP etc this is a good test I believe)

The Netgear is/was a highly regarded device and I have 20+ IP devices, so this router has big shoes to fill.

First...
Published 17 months ago by J. dean

1.0 out of 5 stars router provided with BEthere broadband -- terrible
Published on 28 Feb 2012 by A Philosophy and Ethics Reader

1.0 out of 5 stars router provided with BEthere broadband -- terrible, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router (Accessory)
I was supplied this router as my ISP ported me onto BEthere's broadband service. My new service had twice the bandwidth of my old (12Mbs compared with 6Mbs) but I was told (incorrectly) that I HAD to install this new router as my old set up (DrayTek Vigor 120 - DSL modem - external - Fast Ethernet and Buffalo AirStation Wireless-N 300Mbps Cable Router with 4 Port Switch) would not work on the BEthere/O2 broadband.
So, set up was a breeze. It really was plug and play. I was logged on in less than 5 mins. Then the problems began. Online radio stations I had listened to without a hitch for over 18 months on my 'slower' 6Mbs connection continually buffered on my 12Mbs connection with the Technicolor router. Clicking on webpages like Facebook initiated a pause of 30 seconds or so before the page began to load. Watching streaming video content was painful to the point of not being worthwhile as they continually buffered. It was bizarre, I was having what seemed like lack bandwidth related problems with a service that was supposed to be twice the bandwidth of my previous service.
I did some speedtests and all seemed fine, it achieved the advertised bandwidth of 12 Mbs, but something was certainly amiss. I phoned my ISP's helpline and was given a series of tests to undertake. The result was that they said the problem was with the router and sent me another. One month, much frustration and THREE Technicolor routers later the problems were still there. I had one weekend, where I could not even log on to radio via the BBC iPlayer.
I Googled a little and found instructions on the Draytek website for setting up my old Draytek modem/Buffalo router setup on BEthere and did this. The result is a brilliant stable connection, with no buffering and no hesitancy when you go to open a webpage. The problem was clearly with the Technicolor routers (remember I tried three of them).

LESSON: don't waste your money or time with Technicolor routers. Whatever your ISP tell you or try to give you, the best thing you can do in my experience is go out and buy a modem/router recommended in a reputable review. I took advice from PC Pro nearly two years ago and my set up is still excellent and I wish I had not spent over a month messing about with this Technicolor.

4.0 out of 5 stars good ADSL router but not a fan of the GUI interface, 17 Jan 2013
J. dean "jammy" (Newcastle, uk) - See all my reviews

First the plus points
1. Compact router and power supply, very simple and un-obtrusive

2. The ADSL speed is fantastic, previously in ADSL speed test the Netgear extracted between 5 to 8MB, this new router have improved this to between 15 to 16MB. I can't complain.

3. The router supports ADSL auto/remote config protocol (TR-64,069,98 and 111), so as long as your ISP supporting this it is just a matter if plugin and powering up

4. Wireless signal is fine; the router support Wireless BG and N. Wireless G easily matches that of the Netgear.

5. The command line interface is pretty good; I will explain why this is important or relevant

The negatives
1. Sorry no simple way of saying it but the GUI is consumer oriented and for people wanting to configure advanced settings it is crap, you can get it to do stuff but it is (for me) slow and is over simplified, in fact you have to use the command line to reserve an IP address by MAC address.

Really tempted in using this router as a ADSL modem and using OpenWrt cable router, so I get the best of both.

Anyway I'm currently using this router and everything is fine. It has pulled through 100GB per month with a mix of clients, including a constant VPN connection as I work from home. If the GUI was better I would have given it 5 stars, once you have set it up you shouldn't need to fiddle with the router so I have been generous and given it 4 stars.

No idea why so many other reviews are given it a bad rap, my guess is that as this is provided "free" by a number of ISP and it is in part an issue with the support and transition people are miffed about. Years ago ISP used to send out engineers, now people are left to DIY, and for some users and situation this is not optimal. You cant blame the router for the shortcomings of your ISP support department, as this is grossly unfair.

I was provided mine by Plus.net it was voluntary for me, and I switched back and forth between this and the Netgear DG834G before concluding this was a much better router.

1.0 out of 5 stars Even for free this isn't worth your time, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router (Accessory)
Got this router free from my ISP.

Wifi connection would hang all the time, this requires frequent reboots. When it did work, the wifi was weak.
Built in DHCPserver which you cannot turn off through the gui, causing conflicts if you run your own.
Lost custom configuration on restart (not reset, restart!), which it requires a lot.
Stopped accepting my (stored, known good) password untill it was rebooted. Gave no indication of why.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible range using wireless, 23 July 2013
N. Jones "SPOCK" (HAMPSHIRE, UK) - See all my reviews
Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router

Plusnet supplied me with one of these. The wireless range was totally inadequate so they sent me another. It was also utterly useless. I'm now using the excellent Asus RT-N56U which I purchased through Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on IPv6, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router (Accessory)
Although this router is described as 'IPv6 ready' it does not work 'out of the box' even if your ISP has a dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 connection. I know that at least one UK ISP supplies the router to their customers with firmware which does work with IPv6. However, neither Technicolor nor my ISP would supply firmware which would allow me to connect using IPv6. Both were extremely unhelpful.

Although this is a reliable, good value, router on IPv4, I am giving it a 1 star rating because it does not work with IPv6 and Technicolor are so unhelpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly poor fibre router, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router (Accessory)
Supplied this router as a "high speed" replacement for my PlusNet fibre unlimited upgrade. It was was a waste of money even paying only for postage. My line speed was duly increased from 20 to 76 Mbps & it was all downhill from there.

The router feels cheap but setup was quick & simple, speeds peaked at 60 Mbps download initially but after 3 weeks of near dial up speeds & weak wi-fi coverage I plugged my old Netgear wndr1000 router back in to my BT infinity modem & now have a rock solid connection with consistent speeds of around 40 Mbps download & 20 Mbps upload, the technicolor kit will be consigned to the bin.

1.0 out of 5 stars I got it for free and still think it was overpriced..., 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router (Accessory)
I was provided with this router by Be internet. It replaced the previous one they had provided, which kept dropping the internet connection.

This appeared to be great for about a week but then I noticed it would refuse to let my Samsung Galaxy S2 connect to the internet. It will appear to be connected, even allowing me to access the router settings, but will not let me access the internet, even if the connection works fine for my PC (connected by LAN cable). Then after varying amounts of time my phone can access the internet with no problems. It's extremely frustrating. Don't waste your money.

Edit to add: I've since had the same problem with a couple of laptops, connects wirelessly to the router fine but no connection to the internet. Seriously this router is the biggest pile of crap ever.

Edited again to add: The router will only allow me to log in to its settings at random times. I'm entering the details correctly (obviously since it lets me log in sometimes) but it only allows me to log in about 1 in 50 attempts. Seriously, if you are considering buying this router, don't. If you already own it smash it with a hammer, at least then you'll know why it doesn't work. I'm giving up and forking out for one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the real thing!, 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router (Accessory)
Be warned, this is not a full retail version of the router!

The TG582N is meant to support up to 4 separate wireless SSIDs, this model does not.

Also, no setup CD was supplied although this is part of the product description.

I will be sending it straight back for a refund.

2.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward setup, mediocre range, 28 Jun 2014
Mr. A. Tanca "McAldo" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router (Accessory)
I do like the interface on this router, and it's very straightforward to setup.
I was given it with my plusnet connection. I like that it comes with a few pre-compiled cards with all the connection data, which saves trips to the router to check the bottom labels, nice touch, And I understand each specimen has its own admin password, meaning it's more secure for those users who don't know how to change it or are not bothered.

That's the good.
The bad is that the signal strength is appalling, terribly weak, and erratic.
I am comparing with my previous router which was, accordingly to the reviews just average, and still gave me perfect coverage in our rather small house and even connection from my detached garden, which is quite far.
In the same conditions and locations, the TG582n gives half the signal strength and the signal seems to vary quite erratically. The problem affects all connected devices, meaning android, macbook, ipad, win 7, win xp, ubuntu.
I changed channel to one which nobody uses in my neighbourhood, which improved things marginally, but honestly I cannot recommend this modem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really terrible, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router (Accessory)
I bought(!) one of these from my ISP (Zen). It was never a good piece of kit. Wireless signal too weak to reach anywhere other than the room it was in. The user interface is terrible (basically the same clunky UI that was provided on their previous "Speedtouch" range of modems ten years ago). In fact to some extent, the Speedtouch was a better piece of kit. Now this one has failed completely, after only 13 month use. Conveniently for the vendor, just outside the warantee. But on the other hand, I would not want another of these even if it were covered by the wanantee. Steer clear.

Technicolour TG582n 4 Port Wireless Router