5.0 out of 5 stars So many "aha" moments in this book
I bought this book on a recommendation from Ken Rockwell, and I will be forever grateful that I did. This book is comprehensive, highly readable, and inclusive with something for everyone:
- from those of us still shooting B&W film to those who are fully digital
- from beginners to experienced photographers
- from those interested in landscapes to...
Published 16 months ago by Karen Thurman

1.0 out of 5 stars Style gets in the way of the message
I didnt like his pictures and I didn't enjoy the writing style. There were places where the author's opinions just grated. If you write your own book, you can say what you want, but if it gets in the way of the message, it defeats the purpose of writing a book in the first place. I decided to take a quick look online about the author, (after reading a passage where he was...
Published 14 months ago by Dummyrun

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Photogrphy, 10 Sep 2014
Brought as a Christmas present and they were over the moon

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Kindle material, 12 Aug 2013
MS-R "MS-R" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression (Kindle Edition)
An interesting book that gets you thinking but ultimately not great on a Kindle. It might go better on a colour version as the colour images really don't do much for you in B&W.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 13 Oct 2011
I. G. Wright (UK) - See all my reviews
While the images are virtually all landscape and black and white, this is actually a very wide ranging book - with beautiful production values - the book oozes quality. It is partly a distillation of wisdom from an accomplished photographer about the nature of photography - very well written and free of jargon. The written style is as straightforward and elegant as the images themselves. It also has loads of practical advice - and it's good to see traditional film and darkroom chapters along with digital. I'm a street photographer and I still got so much from this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, 12 Aug 2011
This book may be better than I think but after plodding through 40 pages of rather uninspiring, somewhat platitudinous prose I gave up. There is much common sense here but then I already have common sense. Maybe I have too short an attention span but life is short too - certainly too short to continue with this. Possibly, I am the loser here - possibly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read, 3 May 2013
As an amateur photographer I purchased this book to get some insight into the artistic side of photography. I've learned a lot and I am happy with my choice. My only hope is that in the near future I will have the means to take up film photography and have my own dark room. (Mind you the lessons and event the chapters on film photography in the book apply well enough to digital photography)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Photography, 12 Feb 2013
An excellent book but it is mainly aimed at professionals and photographic students. However amateurs can get a lot of value from it. It is worth buying just for the photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice book, 29 Nov 2013
nice book, nice pictures although not entirely sure how many times it's been opened since purchase(!). But nice present anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 25 Mar 2014
This is, in many ways, a good book on the subject of photography. It was recommended to me by Ken Rockwell on his website. The book is very much about the mind of the author on the subject of photography. I get the impression, and it is just an impression, that although he says not to be bound by rules, he has his own way of doing things and it comes across strongly in the book, which is full of ''I...'' sentences. I would say read the book and see what you think yourself. His ways are by no means the only way. I wasn't actually terribly impressed with many of his pictures; a photo of trees in mist was dire, and it encouraged me to see that a supposed expert can take terrible shots which I would consign to the recycle bin. The book is nicely laid out, but it is heavy. The photos, done by the author, are mostly in black and white. Many are excellent, some are ok, and some are pretty poor. He often cites examples of other photographers work - describing it, talking about it, but he never includes the images for whatever reason, probably because he hasn't got permission. I have Googled the images in question to view them myself.

I recommend the book simply to broaden your own thinking and you will learn a lot, but don't be infatuated or awed by the author. He has his own talents and ways of seeing, and so do you. This book, for me, is simply about a bit of education on photography basics, and also to get inspiration and encouragement. But I am past the stage of being awed by the work of many so-called professionals, when I look at my own amateur efforts, often fantastic, and the shabby work these guys get to market as 'art' and get paid silly money for, I start to realise that the emperor has no clothes! So maybe I should join the catwalk! Anyway, this dude is overly prescriptive and often a bit preachy, but you shouldn't take on his ideas as if it's the only way; it's not. This is just one guy who, whilst having taken some good shots, ain't all that. Take it or leave it. I am sure there are better books than this. It's hard work to get through it. I'm reading the whole thing to get my money's worth, but you might think twice.

Update: I couldn't get past chapter 5 - it's just so boring! It's so tedious and the man gets on my nerves. I am sad because Ken Rockwell recommended this book to me and it cost me twenty-four pounds. I received it with an open and enthusiastic mind but it's so dull and such tedium to get through, I think I have better things to do than struggle with it, not just mentally and emotionally, but physically too - it's a large, heavy book, and whilst that's nice cos the pictures are big, it's really a pain to read, especially in bed. My advice is, steer clear, unless you can see the book before you buy it. I guess there are electronic previews but I still bought it. His photography ain't all that special either - though he seems to think it's great, it's all very samey and you soon tire of it. I don't think he is as good a photographer as he seems to think or wants you to believe. Still, he gave me a confidence boost cos now I just call myself a pro and talk a lot of crap about how great I am and how great my pictures are. That seems to be one key ingredient in being successful in photography so I can thank him for that!!! It's (the book is) also irrelevant for most modern photographers since he spends a lot of time talking about film, development etc...

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Nov 2014
R. J. Hooton - See all my reviews
Very nice book but not had the time to go through it.

4.0 out of 5 stars the art of photography, 19 Jan 2012
Jorma Luoma (finland) - See all my reviews
photographers who are interested in black and white photo shooting in theory, about how to develop black and white film and developed in different times, additional information about the systemic zone. my best book so far
best regards