on 12 November 2011
It took me a while to get through this book, due to a couple of technical malfunctions.

I did find the book uneven, and a little slow moving in parts. The main character, Jade, veered between being likeable and sympathetic to occasionally irritating for me, which made her more real, although there were times I found myself rolling my eyes at her - for a smart girl she jumps to some very obviously incorrect conclusions.

Some very steamy sex scenes and fun secondary characters, with a nasty ex and a very unpleasant bad guy made for a faster pace in the second part of the book, which is where the story really started to hook me.

The romantic lead is great; an almost-bad boy who is really appealing - I wouldn't mind a story focusing a bit more on him and his own special ability.

The strongest part of this book for me is the focus on friendship and how true friends look out for each other; I personally loved seeing how Jade and her friends put themselves on the line repeatedly for the people they care about.

The weakest part is that the start feels a bit uneven in pacing and making you care about the characters, but does start hitting home just before the half-way mark.

Recommended to : anyone who likes a bit of steam with their paranormal romance.
on 15 June 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it struck a fine balance between romance and the supernatural and really drew me into Jade's world. I got this book free but it had the desired effect - I've just purchased the sequel!
on 26 May 2012
I really liked this book, so much so, I bought the second one and can't wait for some more.
A heroine who I could engage with, sometimes irritating , but ultimately believable.
One small criticism, I would have liked to have had the hero fleshed out a bit more, he seemed slightly secondary and a bit one-dimensional, but I hope that is explained more in a third book.
Hope it's out soon!
on 8 April 2013
I was pleasantly surprised by Deanna Chase's Haunted on Bourbon Street. I think I expected something a little more H.P. Mallory-ish...more sexual tension and humour. I don't mean to suggest that there wasn't plenty of both, but rather it isn't the focus of this book. In a sense this is as much a mystery as a paranormal romance. They have to investigate and identify the ghost, find out what he wants, find out how to defeat him, and find out how to get on with life.

I liked Jade. While she came in with some preconceived notions about strip clubs and those that work in them she eventually proved herself to be open minded and mentally flexible. She also had a good strong backbone... though one of these days I swear I am going to do some sort of research project on how often otherwise healthy, well-balanced women in romantic fiction manage to twist ankles while in the presence of sexy men who can carry them away...and maybe even go on to explore how often they then end up in said sexy man's bed. Here we find a woman who apparently can't even turn 90° the right without injuring herself. Sheesh!

Dodgy balance aside, I really did like Jade. It was also nice that her empathic ability was integral to her personality, but not to saving the day. Well it was, but you know how sometimes in books the main character will have one strong skill and somehow it is the only thing that is needed to single-handedly save the world? Not so much here and that was refreshing.

I thought Kane was not only super sexy, but a sweet heart to boot. Pyper was a firecracker. I did have a little trouble deciding what an LSU graduate (one presumes she graduated in the absence of information to the contrary) was doing working in a strip club, but I was willing to accept it. Kat, Dan, and Ian filled their roles, but I felt little for them.

The twist wasn't all that difficult to guess, but it also wasn't so obvious that one felt there wasn't a need to finish the story. I did think things got a little convoluted there at the end. Yes, I suppose I could call it action packed, but the whole feel of the novel changed with the increased pace. Plus, it all felt a little convent. I know a week was supposed to have passed, so obviously the group worked hard to pull it together. But since the reader isn't party to any of this it felt wrong. Does that make sense?

I'm glad to have given it a read at long last and would be more than willing to read the continuation of the series.
on 11 July 2013
Worth a read. Good first book in a new series. Fans of H.P. Mallory will like this. Good story and likeable characters.
on 31 March 2013
Interesting and varied characters, spooky plot with scary twist and turns. Great mix of paranormal and magic, set in the strange and mysterious location of New Orleans.
on 10 June 2014
While I didn't hate this book, I didn't love it either. I'm not a fan of romance books, as I find them a little too predictable, but the supernatural aspect drew me to it, and I thought I would give it a go. The supernatural aspect did mean I enjoyed it a lot more than other romances (i'm trying to force myself to like them) but it wasn't a patch on the Sookie Stackhouse or Harper Connelly books and I found the supernatural element a little dull. I didn't really like the main character Jade, and I just couldn't picture Kane as some kind of stud, therefore the romance just didn't draw me in as much as I would have liked it to.

This is a series of books, and I didn't find myself wanting to know what happens between Jade and Kane. I may read the rest of the series one day, but I don't think I'll be rushing to read them any time soon.
on 24 February 2013
LOVED IT!!! Having a roll at the moment and reading books of a very high quality, with great storylines, characters that are fully dimensional and, in this book, some steamy moments too. This book was free on Kindle but I have immediately put the next two down on my wishlist. The story is intriguing and the characters are layered throughout the book and just become ... more. I loved this storyline and thought that it developed brilliantly throughout and the ending was a real action packed cliff-hanger. I love the research that also went into this story which has made it all the more believable.

Excellent!
on 20 November 2014
I didn't like this book at all. the characters are completely unreal, and the main character, Jade, fairly annoying. I tried hard to understand what she has done to deserve the love, respect and adoration that she seems to get from everyone - mostly relative strangers who seem to always be looking after her while she blacks out because of an emotional overload, at least once a day. She has the special ability to read emotions but it swiftly changes to being able to see ghosts and auras and merging energies and essences and a whole lot of other things. I am a big paranormal fan but this was a difficult pill to swallow, especially since her entire friend circle with no special abilities also seamlessly enter an alternative plane to wrestle an evil spirit while piggybacking on Jade's dreamwalking boyfriend's dream. Everyone is completely unsurprised to meet their friends in their dreams, seeing and interacting with ghosts, helping honest to god angels and witches open portals to other dimensions. And then going right back to their unidimensional lives without batting an eyelid. The men are all hunks who pay for Jade and protect her and fight over her. There is no substance to any character. I downloaded this for free but I really wish i could have a refund on the time i spent reading it.
on 9 February 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It took me a little while to get into this book, and to make my mind up if I actually like the main character Jade. Once the story unfolded and you meet all the other characters you get pulled into these close friendships. Although the storyline is paranormal the relationships with the ups and downs feel real.
I purchased book 2 immidiately and would recommend this book to paranormal readers.