4.0 out of 5 stars Worried about dying? Try this.
I am 30 and have been gray in places for about 5 years. Recently thick gray patches have appeared behind my ears, with flecks all over.

Published on 19 May 2012 by Steve

1.0 out of 5 stars A very unsatisfactory product
What no other reviews? Is there really such a stigma attached to this product that no man dares admit to having tried it? Well here's one who gullibly fell for the marketing ploy and regrets the experience very much!

Published on 19 Jun. 2011 by Cartimand

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Worried about dying? Try this., 19 May 2012
This review is from: Grecian Hair Color Lotion 125ml (Personal Care)

I had looked into Just for Men, but really didn't want to turn up for work one day with all brown hair again! Their 'Touch of Gray' product sounds ok, but you have to do it once a month and any remaining product cannot be reused - so you need to buy a new pack every few weeks.

Then I spotted Grecian. A lot cheaper and is a gradually building product (so no sudden changes for my colleagues to make fun of). The product does not go off so there is no need to keep buying new packs.

I was surprised to find in the detailed instructions inside that ideally you should only wash your hair once a week during the first three to four week build up period. This is far from ideal and the reason it doesn't get 5 stars.

There is no way I could only wash my hair once a week, but it only says the product will be slower if you wash more so I compromised washing every three days or so.
The product does smell, but you should only be applying sparingly. It doesn't take much to get the hair damp. Don't pour it on, a little goes a long way. The smell is better when it dries and is no worse than some hairsprays. Work colleagues don't get close enough to notice, but you may want to time your washes to coincide with a date for example.

After an initial quick reduction in gray behind my ears (turning light brown), progress has been slow but I am getting there. When you wash your hair the water will be brown, but the product should still have changed the gray slightly - don't panic and keep going.

I have noticed about a 80% reduction in gray. I am not convinced it will ever all go with this product now, and four weeks in I have started to wash more regularly again and have reduced applications to three times a week as per the instructions. One bottle should last about three months now so vastly cheaper than just for men.

Overall I am pleased with the results and look much younger, so if you're looking to avoid dying I recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars A very unsatisfactory product, 19 Jun. 2011
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Noticing the old salt and pepper effect establishing itself in my hitherto raven black locks, I thought why not try what is probably the best known product claiming to restore your hair's pigment? Certainly the picture on the box looks convincing (yeah, I know. Stop sniggering now please!).

OK so I get the stuff home and, in the privacy of my bathroom eagerly inspect the contents. Here's where the first crushing disappointment hits you. You are not supposed to wash your hair more than ONCE A WEEK. For an active man who is down the gym on those days when he's not participating in a competitive sport, this represents significant hardship. But don't worry, the instructions claim, Grecian contains conditioners that will actually make your hair feel better and fuller. Wrong! Believe me, after the first week, your hair will look and feel like a ghastly gelatinous mass. Then, when you enjoy that first long-awaited wash, you will be horrified to see all the colour swirling down the plughole and, when dried, your grey bits will look as grey as ever!

It is also difficult to apply evenly, as it is just like water with no viscosity - you will often find it running down your arms and neck and into your ears!

But I persevered and followed the instructions to the letter for around 6 weeks (the claim is that 3-4 weeks use will achieve your desired look!), and the best results I noticed were my grey hairs turning to a kind of utterly unconvincing mousey-yellow colour. Certainly nothing remotely resembling the pictures on the box (yeah all right I KNOW now!).

Then there are the other drawbacks....

First the smell. There is something faintly sulphurous about Grecian 2000 (and I don't mean in the Derren Brown sense!). If you are sharing a car whilst using this, don't be surprised if someone asks "who's got the egg sandwiches - they smell a bit off".

Next there is the staining. Your pillowcases will look like you've been wiping your muddy wellingtons on them and your embarrassingly grubby-looking fingernails will reinforce the gardening motif.

And finally, whatever you do, DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES! You will inevitably wash your hands very thoroughly in a (futile) attempt to reduce the staining of your fingernails, but that is not enough! If you so much as scratch your head whilst using this product and then, absent-mindedly, rub an eye some time later, your gaze will take on an alarming aspect reminiscent of Christopher Lee in a classic Dracula movie.

To summarise; this product only has a marginal effect in restoring pigment to your hair and the drawbacks are significant. My advice? Grow old gracefully!

4.0 out of 5 stars good product , bad smell, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Grecian Hair Color Lotion 125ml (Personal Care)
I bought this as I was going white at the sides and wanted a younger look without the immediate wham of hair dye.
In short it works if you use it as directed but I could not take the no washing hair bit and just used a very mild shampoo.
in 3 weeks it looks natural and down to one application, enough to wet the hair every couple of days.
does NOT stain hands, nails or pillows BUT does smell pretty strong and so I use it before bed at nights and wash hair in the morning.
All in all the results are very good with a gradual change but I wish they could alter the smell !

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine For Me, 13 Sept. 2009
I'm 51 and have short - cropped hair, that's a bit too grey for my liking. Started using Grecian 2000 once daily 2 weeks ago - you just shake the bottle, squirt it onto your hands (no gloves needed), and apply it neat to your hair then leave it on. Hair should be dry before applying the lotion. It doesn't stain your scalp, or hands, or nails, and doesn't need washing out. Don't know where the idea of not washing came from - I still shower every day, dry my hair, then apply the lotion.

I noticed a gradual fading-out of the grey starting after the first 2 or 3 days, and the colour was slowly replaced by my natural mid-brown colour.

After 2 weeks daily use, my hair's only got a small amount of grey and the colour and overall effect is very natural. I'll now use it only 2 or 3 times a week to maintain the colour at this level.

Only drawback is a slight smell like sulphur, but this isn't very strong at all and seems to wear off quite quickly. I've not noticed any staining my pillow, even on those occasions when I've applied the lotion last thing at night. No allergic reaction like the red itchy rash I got from Just For Men, but probably worth doing a test patch first.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much hassle, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Grecian Hair Color Lotion 125ml (Personal Care)
I've tried both this and the foam version. The foam version is easier to apply but neither works as advertised.

In the initial 2 week period you are instructed to use it every day and wash you hair as little as possible. Your pillows will be heavily stained and occasionally if it rains or you sweat at all there will be brown deposits on the back of your neck or running down your face. Very embarrassing when your asked what that goo is or if you've died your hair recently. Also as you can only wash your hair minimally your hair will look terrible despite the advertised built in conditioner.

If you follow the instruction to the letter it will get rid of most but not all of your grey.

After the initial 2 week period you still have to apply it 3 times a week, so you will still have dirty brown pillows and the occasional blob of brown tell tale goo will still occasionally dribble down your face, build up on the tops of your ears or down the back of your neck. The grey also comes back incredibly quickly after a wash.

I rejected traditional hair dyes because they appeared to me to be too much hassle and this looked like an easy option but after 6 months of use I've come to the conclusion that just using a basic wash in hair dye once a fortnight is a much easier and less obvious option.

3.0 out of 5 stars Grecian Hair Color Lotion works well, as long as you keep your head dry !, 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Grecian Hair Color Lotion 125ml (Personal Care)
I have very fine hair that is going white (rather than Grey) vey quickly.
I have been trying Grecian 2000 Lotion and Foam.

They both have the same results but the foam is easier to use.
It worked very quickly on my hair sending my hair a nice brown/blond colour, that was until I washed it. The colour came straight out and left my hair a horrid tobacco colour. but I kept going, only washing my hair with a baby shampoo every two or three days and it's getting darker

There are a few drawbacks using the product. If you get caught up in the rain the dye will run down your face, the pillow case looks awful in the morning, as does the collar on the necks of the shirts, and it does smell like suncream, but the product has given me my confidence back and, fingers crossed soon these problems will be ironed out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy user for over 8 years., 28 July 2014
H. M. K (Gloucester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grecian Hair Color Lotion 125ml (Personal Care)
I have used this product for over 8 years, and have just started purchasing via Amazon as some short sighted buyer has stopped stocking in at my local supermarket.
I was surprised that some reviewers are less than happy with the product. At just a few weeks off the age of 60 my hair colour is much the same as when I was in my 20s. Just two or three applications a week, taking no more than two minutes, has kept my hair in good condition and colour. A bottle lasts three to four months, so those who complained of it running down their arms are probably using too much each application.
I am not an employee or shareholder of the producer, I am just a very satisfied customer who wants to ensure this product remains available whilst I have enough hair to use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Grecian Hair colour Lotion, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Grecian Hair Color Lotion 125ml (Personal Care)
I find the smell of sulphur too strong to bear. Despite that which I suspected, I wanted my hair to continue to be dark (greyish black) not brown. I feel that I bought the wrong stuff, because of the appearance on the screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased so far,,, 30 April 2012
I would not normally review a product such as this but felt compelled having read the only other review on here! My goodness, what a cry baby!

I started going grey when I was about 25. I am now 30 and had thick areas of grey behind my ears and flecks appearing on top. I thought enough was enough.

I had been avoiding the Just for Men products because I really did not want to turn up one day at work suddenly with dark brown hair. I looked at their 'Touch of Grey' product but you need to do that once a month and any remaining product has to go in the bin.

Then I spotted Grecian. It is a gradual building product, not a dye. This sounded ideal and was much cheaper than JFM, especially as the solution does not go off.

I too was surprised when I opened the box to find instructions saying you should wash your hair once a week during the first build up period of 3 to 4 weeks. This is not clear on the outside but unlike the other reviewer I used a little common sense. My hair gets greasy if I don't wash it every day, and I go to the gym. The instructions only say it will slow the process rather than stop it, so I went for a compromise of washing every 2 or 3 days.

The product does smell, but no worse than hairspray or similar in my opinion. The smell reduces considerably when it dries. Don't worry too much - it is not noticable to my partner. Your hair gel / wax / hairspray probably smells anyway.

The comments about greasey hair and colour transfer are not what I've experienced. How much are you putting on?! It says used sparingly. It really doesn't take very much product before your hair is lightly damp as per instructions. Then it quickly dries. I have experienced no transfer onto my white pillow cases at all. Remember this is not a dye, nor is it a shampoo - you don't need to soak your head in it!

So the results? I noticed a slight change after 2 or 3 days. After a week the large grey patches looked light brown. Flecks were still present so my colleagues didn't notice. I am 2 weeks in and now notice just flecks. I am delighted! Remember I am washing more than once a week.

I still have plenty of product left and will continue until most of my grey has gone. After the initial build up period I estimate one bottle will last at least 3 months (application reduces to 2 or 3 times a week) so will be vastly cheaper than JFM.

I would ignore the other review and try it for yourself. Even if you think its all washed out - keep going. The product is still working and the applications you do, the better it gets.

1.0 out of 5 stars A very unsatisfactory product, 17 Aug. 2008
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Then there are the other drawbacks....

And finally, whatever you do, DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES! You will inevitably wash your hands very thoroughly in a (inevitably futile) attempt to reduce the staining of your fingernails, but that is not enough! If you so much as scratch your head whilst using this product and then, absent-mindedly, rub an eye some time later, your gaze will take on an alarming aspect reminiscent of Christopher Lee in a classic Dracula movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›